So, Funcom suggested they listen, then take every action to prove that they don't

knowing how things mesh together is a fundamental for understanding out pvp works? just because some wont get it dosnt mean everyone wont?

The Steam Charts service doesn’t track servers or who’s on them, it tracks the number of players at hourly intervals for every single game in the Steam library. I haven’t seen a distinction between single player, co-op, or multiplayer.

In other words, if I open my Steam client and load Conan Exiles, CE Testlive, or any one of my other games in my account, it counts me among the people currently playing that game and logs it. Nothing else specific that I’m aware of, just the number of players Steam wide currently playing any of the games in Steam’s library. Then it averages out the numbers you see in the chart in those specific time frames.

1 Like

…all have the option to play on private servers with the cap tweaked to taste.

Think of Funcom (rightly) as the owner/admins of official servers - they pay the bills, and they get to make the rules. If the rules they set on the servers they own don’t accomodate your preferred style of play, it shouldn’t be overly difficult to find (or create) one that does?

Don’t like mounts? Thrall leveling? Narrow Thrall caps? Reach out for some like-minded players & get a private server established with house rules to limit the use of them. (As a bonus, you can more directly deal with players that use exploits or otherwise mess with the style of play you’re accustomed to.)

The options to configure & control gameplay are fairly extensive, and it genuinely baffles me that some folk would rather present what are essentially default versions of those options as game breaking issues rather than explore variations of them to achieve a better experience for their personal style of play.

6 Likes

The saddest part is that I probably know this Asian “hackers”, and I’ve encountered them half a year ago. They are doing it for a long time. This is the dudes from chinese streaming platform, and they are monetary motivated by it. They go to “foreigners server” bocuse this what cool chinese kids will do.
Typically they target Russian servers, so while problem had almost catastrophic scale, the forum was virtually silent.
Nowadays when I join the random server with chinese clan like that, almost everyone knows about this chinese streaming platform already and the streaming aliases.

I’m not quite as sentimental, but I get it.

Personally I read the intractability of such players as the other side of the argumentative coin to consider in PvP environments, and (to me) for PvE it just seems unnecessarily entitled.

As for the cost, also something I’m intimately familiar with the limiting nature of. I’m sure that with time, effort, considerable planning and a collaborative attitude though, such cost could be shared amongst the pocket of players that might be attracted to more ‘traditional’ gameplay.

You mean besides all those words they put in those community updates and streams spelling out exactly why they are making these changes?

1 Like

Honestly its pretty nonsense reasons. They dont need to change the whole game to fix stuff they saying this will change. Nerfing seems to be the only thing they know and it’s pathetic.

They said they did all these changes so u cant escape as easy, but now u can escape even easier. And I will also say that once again, it wasnt a problem earlier before all the nerfs of the weapons, 2h sword, spear, whirlwind blades for example.

Its not a complaint thread, its a thread discussing concerns about an upcoming patch. This very mindset is why game Dev gloss over player concerns. Its not meant to be a negative. Its attempt to discuss and catch a negative before it happens.

There are many people with my same concern, they have been posting as well and have been ignored in the same fashion.

Yes, there are a lot of complaint threads across many games, however you wrapping them all up under the same category as ‘complaining’ does a concerned player a disservice.

So, it not being a complaint thread, but a thread to discuss concerns, this is entire pointless.

Not to mention:

is a fallacy in this context as it is a glaring mistake to believe that any handful of posters on Funcom’s forums represents any meaningful head count of people that are happy vs. those that are not. Its not even remotely close of a indication of anything. Its not to balance out a view for Funcom, its to be contentious in a topic. If it wasn’t to be contentious, we would be discussing the post and not a side topic that you could have just created your own post for.

Just like you said I should be able to voice my concerns, you are free to post what ever you want as well. I just wanted to point out how posts like that translate to the people you are talking to.

And see, as you and the poster above you seemed to miss in both of your first posts were a actual reason to post other then to essentially state “well, thats great for you, but I’m happy”. Its too bad that how this sort of post reflects on the poster needing to be pointed out.

Your second post is 100% more in line with the topic and you actually respond to my points (albeit, short and not much detail) but all the same… At least there was content.

Though I do disagree with you on Funcom being good about fixing bugs.

So what you are suggesting is that people that don’t want the Thralling side of this game completely gutted and have little to no interest in the pointless additions of thrall levels and mounts should cut out the social aspect out of their game via their own volition to solve the problem?

Not only is that completely dismissive of Funcom regarding a good portion of their paying player base, but is mighty big cop-out.

The fact of the matter is, I do have a private server that I just started up. But its completely besides the point. I don’t have the community I had on my official server anymore, those players all quit when this patch news rolled out. (Not to mention all the time and progress lost on the private server that players seem to dismissive of).

My small clan is now just me holding on as they all quit due to this patch. So forced off official and no longer a social game… Seems like a good way to develop a game, right?

You are right, Funcom holds the keys. They can drive their game into irrelevance, or they could actually develop it with all of their player base in mind.

Cute.

I’m sorry if I didn’t detail the statement well enough, but obviously I was speaking out to the fact that the community updates and streams were woefully lacking information and don’t cover the why, nor the slew of issues that are cascading along behind.

I have no problem with you being content with what they have stated or want to roll out, but it wasn’t ‘spelled out exactly’ or obviously people wouldn’t have these questions.

Way to be dismissive though.

1 Like

I agree with Frog and im glad that i have my own server so i can put up mobs damage more so the thralls can die if youre not careful and heal them or run so another thrall can take aggro. i have a mod so you can have 10 if you want but i only have 2 followers.

Mount on this map is useless to, you can port and run fast to your location without a mount.
PvP wise i cant say anything, i only play PvE.

I also agree with frog. And I am impressed about his knife-sharp mind, the Logical conclusions and his ability to show his point of view without beeing rude.:clinking_glasses:

Afaik it doesn’t track what mode you are playing or even if you are playing. It just tracks that you have the client open.

Think you have a lot of valid points OP, even though I don’t agree with all of them. And I don’t really want to have too much of an opinion on the update until I’ve played around with it properly.

But from a pvp perspective, huge bases only have one function imo; lagging out raiders.

It’s just too much to defend and no matter if you build a wall all the way around a map square, it still only takes one hole to get through. Huge builds also often have huge errors, making them easier to raid.

I only see a reason for huge castles (or whatever people like to build) in pve and personally I would do that on a private (boosted) server with rules against spam build trolling etc. A private server can disable the thrall limit, so not a big problem there either.

If you want to play official pve, that’s your choice and you’re allowed to play however you want, just saying I wouldn’t anyway.

Can’t comment on most of the rest yet.

Button clicks don’t kill bosses and get me keys, Hoss. I gathered over 40 keys during the great kill.

Keys from killing your own thralls? What? :smiley:

Thank you for your input.

Admittedly, my PvP time in this game wasn’t even a PvP experience as the server I was on for that regard was overly diplomatic and it seemed like unmitigated PvP was frowned upon…

I don’t really have that great of perspective from that side of the fence.

I can totally understand what you are saying and believe its a shame that Funcom wont willing tweak PvE, PvP, and PvC all to their own styles, but I get that it takes resources… Would be great if they saw the cost was worth it.

I have to admit that when I and my friends first started, we started on a personal private server. What eventually caused us to drop it and first try out a PvP server, then PvE was the desire to play with other people.

I agree that the private server is a solution… Its a shame (just like the mounts and thrall levels) that this solution comes at yet another cost, and thats the social aspect of the game.

On our final destination of a Official PvE server, we got to enjoy other clans creations while sharing our own. Funny enough, our server fit the definition of Funcom’s problem, and it wasn’t really that laggy or bad on our server, not to mention, it consistently stayed up, never was ddos’d and over all people were lucky with not loosing things to patches.

Maybe we were just lucky. I can’t speak to all the factors behind a server running smoothly, specially without any access to them. But we typically had 5-6 mid sized clans at any given point, we all built big, usually had 10-15 players on at peak times (i understand this isn’t a high pop server… but honestly, are there any?)

Our base alone took up two full squares of the map. It was massive, but I’d like to think it was interesting/complex and wasn’t just the typical boxes you see people plop down. But it was out of the way, not blocking anything important (as the server community as a whole was pretty good about) and honestly, despite the size of our base (and detail) it only lagged on login or when first approached.

Once it loads, game goes back to normal. That scenario certainly could be a problem on PvP for a raiding clan. (Specially with archer thralls that one shot you :P) but this small load time was never an issue for anyone in a PvE setting.

I’d add to that, PvE is Thralling and Building. PvP has the reoccuring cycle of attack and defend, move your base and constant turmoil on the map (or at least ideally. Like I stated, lack real experience here) but with PvE, the end game is that.

Its either a game you experience and quit, or there has to be a theme at the end of the game that brings players back to it. I can’t speak for everyone as I know some players have spoken up about enjoying building small. However, many people enjoy building, and building more, not always destroying their old projects.

No question that thralls and buildings need a limit (I have wondered if I had the tenacity to do it, how a solo game, or private server would run just built completely over. Hypothetical, because no way in hell would I spend the time, but wonder where exactly the limits are).

PvE can deal with short bits of sluggishness and if a bit of lag is the price to enjoy the core reason we play the game, we deal with it. Funcom is making the choice for us by taking the limit into their own hand and not being very delicate about it.

People can respond in whichever way they wish regardless of the original points. If there’s no value to the other side for information purposes then there’s no reason to post at all in the first place. You have complaints. I think it sounds good. Just opinions.

1 Like

To reiterate: You can post and interpret my words however you’d like. You don’t need to repeat my words back to me. However, as you weren’t really responding to the topic, I responded to your post out of topic as well.

As it is clear you interpret what I want to discuss as a negative (the only reason you would continue to define and dismiss them as complaints, rather then concerns worth discussing) so I responded in kind.

You are free to post as you want, but be aware that the message you are conveying may not be the one you intend.

I posted to discuss concerns. You can continue to to talk about your satisfaction with the patch or your dismissal of other peoples opinions all you want. Its simply not the discussion at hand.

I guess you can claim I was at fault for responding to something that didn’t merit responding to. However, I was just pointing out that if you wanted to contribute to the discussion, what you posted, didn’t really do so.