So now Thralls need regular food?

So now thralls need regular food? Surely, theres a thrall for that? Can we get a slopp worker thrall? One that takes a bucket of gruel around the thralls once per day?

Where did you see thralls need regular food? People have suggested it, but as far as I know it has not been added.

It’s not in the game yet, but the latest blog says it’s coming.

1 Like

1 Like

I hope they add more ethnic recipes, like Hyrkanian Stew and such. My Conchakas are pretty discriminating.

3 Likes

Great! I really like it though I’m a PVP player. I would love to go even further and add the necessity of thralls having a sheltered bed and go to sleep at night. Yes, no night shifts anymore! :wink: Ok, I’ll cut it short: Make Thralls like settlers in Fallout 4. That’d be awesome. But keep Preston Garvey out of the game. We don’t another settlement that needs our help.

Imagine a guard on top of your walls spotting a player from another clan and running to the horn to blow alarm and your thralls react…

1 Like

so they add a new function for thralls but not mention the rubber banding from following thralls I smell follow rhinos throwing you under the map

5 Likes

This blows… I do not look forward running around feeding all my thralls and pets so they don’t die. I feel like this could significantly detract from the time I have to go out and actually play the game. Rather than adventuring, I’ll be out hunting for food to feed everyone… Arguably, people will say this is a part of playing a survival game… But, it hasn’t been the case thus far for CE.

Here’s what I do when there are abandoned thralls on our PvE server… I drop a dragon on top of them, and after the dragon is done eating, I kill the dragon and use the dragon bone as rewards for player events. Much more fun for all involved.

3 Likes

You do have a fair point as that is why on another thread i suggested an archer or a new thrall like a scavenger can be placed at the station where thralls need to be fed as over time they will bring in food with their gathering speed and how much is gathered each time will depend on the level in order to make it less of a hassle.

1 Like

Yeah me neither. I mean obviously we’ll have to wait and see how it works, but with features like “6 day decay timer” and “offline purges” Funcom have shown that casual players are not necessarily their target audience (for official servers anyway) - so I fear this will be more of the same: fine for those who play the game for several hours per day, less so for those who don’t.

On the other hand, it’s a fact that after the initial phase (the first five to ten levels, tops), “survival” stops being a thing about, well, survival. I mean you have to gather food, but it’s so easy that it hardly matters.

So, glass half full: If this becomes less about micromanaging individual (groups of) thralls, and more about the macro of feeding your growing “army”, making your kingdom thrive, as it were - then it might be a great thing.

5 Likes

I don’t believe this genre of game is directed to casual style of play. But that’s why I play it, and my brother doesn’t.

1 Like

I disagree. There’s nothing inherently casual-unfriendly about the game, just some policies (decay timer and offline purges, mainly). But Funcom’s default attitude (“official server settings”) seems to be casual-unfriendly, or at least focused on the more committed gamer.

2 Likes

Wow more micro management in this game we already have enough of that. Another time waster for what?

3 Likes

I’m on the fence about this change. It’s really going to depend on how it is implemented on where I land. I play on my own private game so server stress reduction isn’t really a good reason to introduce more micromanaging for me. I also have multiple bases, on different parts of the map.

Admittedly, it is realistic that thralls need food, but is it realistic that I personally have to go around and feed all of them? I don’t think so. I’m their master, not their waiter/chef. I have Cook thralls, why can’t they feed them?

2 Likes

There are two schools of thought here on decay: Decay is useful | Decay is habit-forming

Mark Brown with Game Maker’s Toolkit calls Decay effectively one of his Cardinal Sins for addictive gaming. I won’t go so far, but I do agree a 6-day decay window is quite punishing on a solo player. The video I linked talks about some very positive ways to keep players engaged.

I guess we really better mean it when we recruit thralls.

1 Like

I really hope there will be a server setting or something for this.
I don’t want to have to add another mod to fix these weird decisions, i just want to enjoy the game.

4 Likes

I hope you can turn it off in the settings

4 Likes

Lol this dev team is hopeless, this game is dead to me now.

They can’t fix thralls so they just kill your thralls, good job!

I guess this does work, since it’ll kill off players too, so server load is less! Nice!

2 Likes

I don’t mind the grind but this is stupid. The only way I’m semi alright with this is if there is some central placeable that needs to be kept filled and when emptied it sets off a decay timer. Going around to 3 or 4 dozen thralls to make sure they have food is just going to kill immersion

1 Like