Star metal and it's need

Nope, no shortsword.
Just hopped on and spawned them all.

Also, as far as stats go, at base, Khari weapons are the same as Starmetal.
The only exception being the Pristine Khari sword which has +4 dam/+2%pen

Amusingly enough, the Pristine Khari Bow vs the regular Khari Bow is -1 dam/+1% pen.

As for the Lemurian Trident…
That requires using a two-handed spear.
Maybe from horseback, but in general this one finds the moveset undesirable except for guarding a cave or base entrance. It’s stats could be great, but the combat style is too static for most of this one’s uses.

To address @Marcospt about bases and boxes…
Well, the short version is if If this one has permanent structures in a PvP context, they are in obscure places. However, that’s not how this one plays PvP.
Some players like dueling. That is nice for them.
Have fun.
This one is not playing Character vs Character.
This one is playing Player vs Player.
Prevent the enemy any meaningful victory while inflicting misery as well as harm upon them.
Never leave an unbroken spirit in a broken body. This one is not trying to kill the enemy character. Character death in this game is cheap. Respawn is quick. Penalty for death is basically non existent. No, if this one is going to go to war, this one will take from them what isn’t cheap.
Named Crafters.
Eldarium on EL servers.
All their precious explosives.

All dropped deep in dungeons or the bottom of the sea to decay.

If this one keeps the spoils, those spoils can be reclaimed. That leaves them with hope and goals and the absurd notion that their existence on a server where they have angered this one isn’t an exercise in futility.
No, their vengeance against this one will be short lived and hollow. One corpse and gear that does not require a thrall to make. Compared to what should be hours of farming and grinding that this one has cost them.

It’s hateful but very therapeutic.
One who has nothing, can lose nothing.

When this one wants a magnificent castle, this one loads a Single Player game. When this one wants to obey their spite, this one sniffs around the PvP servers for worthy subjects.

3 Likes

And just like that, any lingering curiosity about joining a PVP server sometime in the future has been crushed out of me, with a single post.

6 Likes

This one only targets those who grief them upon arrival.
Only about one out of every four servers has had a clan that deserves this one. The rest seemed nice enough. Good clean wars and little griefing of the weak.

That said, one should never bring to conflict what one isn’t ready to lose. Absolutely any target on a PvP server is fair game. And not all participants play fair. Beyound the bomb dupe glitch, undermeshing, and other very shady activities, there are also alpha clans who cannot find victims to bully offline so they squat on a server to fellatiate themselves to their digital tyrannies.

But in summation, unless one defines their fun in context of defeating another person, why participate in a game that is literally Player vs Player?

Edit: To clarify, if a server doesn’t deserve this one, then this one does not linger.
There is no joy to be found in tyrannizing the weak or inflicting misery upon the blameless.

You would probably be quite alright on about 75% of the PvP servers this one has interacted with.

3 Likes

The daggers are cool, but cool daggers is a crowded category. Even without Feroxic, there are envenomed daggers as well as others that, if dots are your thing, can dissolve vulnerable goes quickly.

Daggers is one category where Starmetal is definitely not in danger of being great.
But what makes that so?

It is a function that transcends just numbers. Daggers apply DoTs. That’s sorta their job. Having a set with good numbers is ok, but having a set with more or better dots is best.
Can this principle be applied to other weapon types?

The Lemurian Axe is just plain bad @$$.
Is that what Single handed axes should focus on?
Perhaps a unique spear could have longer reach as opposed to better stats.
A named shortsword could be faster or drain less stamina.

Unique traits for unique weapons with blandly higher stats for level advancement gear?

Still a mess to sort, but this one does agree that the Lemurian dungeon gear is good, viable end game equipment.
There are just a few pieces of stat stick gear that need to play catch up.

Now look what you’ve done @LostBrythunian… You’ve scared the CodeMage with your RPing… :smiley:

Oh, and happy anniversary to me! :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought they were trying to pie me… :astonished:

4 Likes

Yeah you see the difference… they look a lot smaller from up there in that tree!

Not dying is sometimes winning! :wink:

2 Likes

That was unintentional.

And regrettable, if regret weren’t a sin and this one trying to improve as a person.
Still an unintended impact that this one would like to address. Fix the adverse impact we have if possible. If not, learn and grow beyound.

Regardless, this one won’t pretend a swamp isn’t dangerous just to encourage tourism. What this one does is downright tame compared to what this one has seen and has done to them. Spawn camping, resource encirclement, foundation build blocking, some things are better enforced now. But at the cost that ~redacted~.

But more to the point, congratulations on your anniversary. Many happy returns.

Also, it is true, no one stands taller than the last person standing.

4 Likes

But that is the issue there…if you are playing chess and they are playing checkers, defeating the enemy looks completely different.

I agree that it’s a battle waged against players in the sense of any other game. I’m not battling the White King on a chess board, but the player that sits opposite of me.

Edit: Accidently hit submit.

However if they take the game results personally i don’t want to play with them. If they play unethically and without sportsmanship (IE using meta knowledge, cheating, reporting, or other things that are outside the “game board”, I don’t play with these people either.

4 Likes

@erjoh, you are one of the few PvPers whose posts I respect. I don’t always agree but feel you at least take other’s into consideration so please don’t take offense to this.

Agreed! Now is not the time to buff or nerf anything, at least not until after 3.0 is released and has had an opportunity to be properly tested by everyone.

PvP players will always skip as much content as possible to get to what they deem as the meta for their current task. If your main concern is that starmetal is too powerful of a tier, how will decreasing the requirements of all the starmetal recipes help? As you stated here:

Switching everything to hardened steel will effectively just make everything easier to obtain.

Starmetal requires:
starmetal ore + black ice + brimstone (+ volatile gland & T3 alchemist for demon-fire orb) + meteorite RNG

Hardened Steel requires:
steel + black ice (steel is easily farmed in quantity)

Example:

Whether you can do the above pre-level 60 is irrelevant as the Ancient Lemurian Axe is locked until level 60. You could go farm Yog’s Touch long before you hit level 60 and I would argue it might even be less of a hassle. Additionally, and more to the point, changing the Ancient Lemurian Axe recipe to hardened steel just makes it easier to obtain, possibly pushing it into the over powered category.

In actuality, what you’re looking for is a complete rework of the hierarchy of crafting materials and a rebalance of every weapon/armor in the game. While I am not completely opposed to this, I think the current system is better than you’re making it sound and I’m comfortable, nay pleased, with starmetal as is.

5 Likes

That is where I disagree. Sure you can make it before Star Metal but there is a reason we never make it. It’s actually longer to do. Star Metal is mining three mildly annoying ingredients and you get bars. Hardened steel? Yeah not that easy. First you need iron ore and then you got to convert that to steel. Now to save resources you can do the t3 method and first do iron enforcements to steel enforcements and then convert back to steel and then conver to harden steel. That is a big pain in the @$$ compared to meteor ore, black ice, and brimstone.

Even if you choose to farm iron ore and convert it to steel and then hardened steel (which is definitely slower than farming steel from NPCs), hardened steel is still a quicker process than obtaining starmetal bars. Additionally, all the starmetal recipes are locked until level 60, so just the simple fact that you can craft hardened steel weapons at level 56 makes it faster.

Perhaps if the level requirement gap between hardened steel and starmetal were greater, less people would skip it. If you could craft a hardened steel war axe or mace at level 50 (same level requirement as hardened steel tools) than it might give people more incentive to craft those items.

5 Likes

This…perhaps you’re right. you are right…I am wanting a complete redo of it because I want people to enjoy the move upward and savor the game more. You are also right that it’s probably more trouble than its worth and the system is doable…more a thought experiment.

3 Likes

Never a good idea to outright remove tiers like that from a game. Star metal is in essence the early tier end game gear.

1 Like

What you are asking for hardened steel, I was asking for dragon bone. Dragon bone weapons are “the best” on the game, to serve pvp reasons. Easy to fix, cheap to repair and very effective. This however was before we could open chests unless level 60. The stabilizer now are the legendary weapons, since you can open chests from level 0. Not to mention the damage outcome of an ancient spear :man_shrugging:. This game provides “plenty” solutions, great flexibility and the “winner” is always the one with the “greater knowledge”. THIS nobody can steal, nobody can erase or extract from your character!!! This game “is” a chessboard when you play pvp…
The bet? To manage to stay calm… From pve to pvp if you loose temper you lost, this is what my experience give me all these years in this game. The whole map is yours, the knowledge awaits, play pve to stay tuned on changes and pvp for thrill, because the thrill on pvp is certain and awesome and you know that :wink:.

2 Likes

Well, I’m pretty sure he was only kidding but…

Different games are different. In some games you expect to die regularly. COD or PUB-G for example; 100 players die and only 2 to 4 survive - every single round (every 10 to 30minutes). So that’s what, like a 98% death rate. In PvP on CE it’s more like a 50% chance and you can improve those odds just by paying attention and practicing a little - as most people don’t. And everyone who thinks about it for a sec knows this. And when one knows what to expect fear levels subside considerably.

I actually dunno why I’m taking the fear thing as a serious topic though, it’s something that happens on a computer screen well removed from reality. I experience a little excitement, some apprehension, or a bit of disappointment with every battle but it’s nothing I can’t get up and make a cup of coffee from.

Anyway, you RPing of the game shouldn’t be apologized for IMHO. That’s what makes the game fun after all. Immersion is what people are always talking about, right? And that’s entirely reliant on one’s ability to imagine or “RP” the experience.

Thanks.

In your RP experience. In mine, I “stand tallest” no matter the outcome. :slight_smile: Even if I only hid out in the bushes and watched 2 clans battling it out, occasionally scavenging the scraps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Calm can easily be obtained. What I have a problem with is disappointment…mostly with other players but sometimes at the game mechanics that actually cater to crappy player behaviors. If we want more immersion…more variability in our games with other players, we got to collectively go what is this $hit when presented with some like boots and bracers of the serpent or aspect of the bat or feroxic daggers… anything obviously meta and pushes players to meta play.

4 Likes

After the Siptah release @CodeMage created a post, asking fellow exiles how Exile lands will balance Siptah Op. Players that didn’t had Siptah rant in here saying that the game became “pay to win”. So devs OP some weapons in exile lands in an effort to “restore” balance. We both agree that the pvp aspect, no matter what changes come, will never please enough everyone. I am speaking now from my safe place because I abandoned pvp long ago. I know that this, what you do is not a cry at all, it’s just a suggestion that you think it might help, doing it only with good will, without cunning. Yet I don’t want more “nerfs” because these nerfs do the pve aspect of the game less and less. Nonetheless from times to times you’ll see me complaining for easy pve :rofl::rofl::rofl:, but I don’t want nerfs, I miss my happiness obtaining rare weapons that made the fights different, my pve dominance certain yet no boring at all because you always had the fear to loose something that it is not so easy replaceable. This however was always a great boundary on pvp servers. Now you don’t care if the other player will steal your weapon, you go back and fix it in no time :man_shrugging:, yet if you have a base left :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

Complete and total nonsense! Those don’t change a thing to do with immersion unless I tell myself it does. There is ALWAYS “meta play” - from pre-release to present. New items only serve to get old tired and bored players off their posteriors and out in the field to level up to the latest and greatest.

Fear of change is an illness! Stay healthy!

And if you’re that bored with the game it might be good to look for something else to play - even if only for awhile.

Truth!

Painting a false picture of current pvp servers for new players. If a seasoned player doesn’t know what to do and what not to do on a official pvp server I doubt a new player will have much luck.

That doesn’t mean its right. You can’t say fear of change is an issue and site precedent as means to not critically review design elements that are over the top. This isn’t some new thing that has hit the game that we should just wait and see but we have a year’s worth of observation and surprise surprise…everyone in PVP wears the same gear…most players in PVE do as well with only the RP’s holding onto their favorite cultures or looks.

Are you telling me that a +9 to any attribute for one piece of armor is remotely responsible for design in this game? Aspect of the bat gives 12 attribute points. Aspect of the Demon gives one piece of armor the ability to make a person medium armor statted. This is not responsible balanced game design and leads to lack of variety and boring game play. It inhibits variety and therefore pushes standard gear which means players will get bored.

We needed to reset this all because it’s gotten that bad…FC pressed a shiny reset on this entire thing with 3.0 because of this attribute arms race BS that has tail spun the entire game into a “bruh, this gear is so lit” (my daughter helped me on that slang). We have to tell them when they start heading down this path again because design does try to give us what we want but what we want may not be right for the game’s long term success.

2 Likes