Stun locking is ridiculous

Yes.

If there’s no mobility limitation in place, the delicate balance between light, medium and heavy armour is already lost and we would therefore be back at the square one.

Alongside roles in parties, I also took account the ability to alleviate this limitation thorough attributes. So while we wouldn’t be able to run as fast as the one having a full light armour set with their attribute points allocated specifically, we would instead be able to at least walk faster with attribute points properly allocated; and follow our target to their base, just merely moments later as the tank we are and wreak havoc with ease. A raiding party of heavy hitters would be a thing. However, these make for a good defense variable as well and a splendid welcoming party to any raid conflict.

Edit:

Why isn’t the reply icon working all the time? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Edit2:

With properly allocated attribute points, we would be able to walk our target down in case they have poorly managed attributes.

No.

Being forced to walk would make heavy armor absolutely unusable, and mobility limitations are already in place in the form of the rolls. Not to mention, heavy armor also tends to be heavy which is already hell on your encumbrance.

1 Like

This is why I suggest you to read the whole reply and compare every variable I wrote. The balance is there. You just cherry picked a variable and gave your answer based on the current meta (which would change due the variables I mentioned here). Feel free to suggest more variables tho. You give me a number and I balance it between the builds.

I read your entire post. I even just went back and reread it. That one chance alone would still be more than enough to make heavy armor completely useless.

1 Like

In what way?

Edit:

Why isn’t the reply icon working for me?? :dizzy_face:

If you can only walk, what stops me from equipping light armor and staying just outside of your range while pelting you with arrows? If you also use up stamina faster, there is no way you would ever be able to catch me. That’s before we even start factoring in specialized arrows.

Then when you consider PVE, no one is going to walk all across the world while wearing heaving armor because it would take forever. Wearing light or medium armor while carrying heavy armor in your inventory would also be super annoying because of how heavy it is, swapping to it on the fly would be a hassle, and having less quick slots would make swapping armor back and forth via the quick bar unviable.

1 Like

The one with light armour can only run. With medium and heavy armour we can walk which don’t make us fatigued. After the stamina is depleted, the one in the light armour has to stop to take a breather coz they can’t walk. Also the chance to evade ranged attacks is deactivated coz the character is a gasping target without balance. So in case the heavy expert came with a bow and some arrows, they can shoot you down faster than you’d be able to blink your eyes 10 times in a row as fast as you can and calculate them at the same time.

Why would you need to be stopped? Heavy armour needs to have a weakness. Not that all arrows would do any good tho.

Since characters wearing heavy armour sets would not drain stamina by moving (since they walk, albeit fast), they save it all to actual combat. It all depends on the setup and tactics. Also the heavy armour trade offs I designed were meant to not allow us to catch you, but to keep you at bay.

I considered PvE as well. With faster walking, it’s a good trade off with proper balance of attribute point allocation. Still not the best, but also accounting roles in a party, heavy armour mantled characters aren’t supposed to work as scouts to begin with. Besides, it’s PvE. There’s no hurry. Not all players need to do the same things to be useful. Especially in a private server. If you want to get some place as fast as you can, you equip a full set of light armour and allocate attribute points properly. By doing this, you accept the trade offs. If you want to make a change at the place where you are going, you could always try to set up a secondary camp there.

Exactly the trade off I was looking for. This is why you wouldn’t take specific armour pieces with you and you’d perform your role in the party much likelier. Scouts do their thing, hunters do their thing and tanks do their thing. Each piece comes with a trade off and while you can mix them, some abilities and traits can only be attained with a whole set of one type equipped (no matter what cosmetic combination).

Edit:

I will update the above suggestion comment. I make a small adjustment.

Edit2:

I have to say that it don’t find my suggestion likely to be implemented tho. While it’s arguably nice, it might require the devs to build new layers of features to the game and those may take too much time. Don’t know how the engine works exactly, but anyways.

Way too much to implement; it would require a complete overhaul, and I don’t believe they’ll be doing it any time soon. Also agree with Aria that it’s a bit flawed and would make deciding which armor to use a bit unfun.

Personally, I think they should standardize climbing and stamina usage across all armor types (realism with armor has already been thrown out the window anyways) so you don’t feel handicapped exploring with heavy. Then, they could take one of three routes:

-Allow heavy armor to use medium roll, but make it drain a higher percentage of stamina so you get one or two fewer rolls.

Or

-Give heavy armor access to hyper armor on certain weapons, and remove light’s access to hyper armor and half of medium’s access to hyper armor. For example, light would have little to no hyperarmor ever, but maybe hyper armor on combo finishers and whatnot. Medium gets access to hyper armor for 2h weapons (excluding the spear). Heavy has hyper armor as it currently is in the game.

Or

-buff the heavy sidestep to be a bit quicker and have i-frames, or allow heavy to have an absorb/parry feature alongside a garbage sidestep. Or buff sidestep and give them parry/absorb.

My biggest problem right now is the fact that I feel handicapped running around with heavy. Can’t climb, and can’t carry as much. This would be ok if heavy armor was the strongest in combat, but it’s the weakest by far.

Stunlock protection is good too, but having 100% stunlock immunity is always a bad thing. Maybe passive superarmor for heavy would be good, and stunlock would begin after a certain amount of damage dealt.

What some may call a “flaw”, I may call intentional design. However, to actually understand what a flaw is, we can reason it thorough with contexts; tho in this case it isn’t necessarily necessary since the framework may involve quite an arguable overhaul. Like you also mentioned, it may simply involve too much work to make sense and I myself agree too.

What I wanted to portray is merely an example; food for thoughts.

Been thinking a relatively simple option. All the weakness and strength variables in mind, what if the heavy armour would simply make us immune to the standard person to person delivered damage while the wearer treads within their base land claim? To act more as a guard of some sort. To balance things out, the wearer of heavy armour would get multiple mobility debuffs within the area, but then act as usual beyond the claimed land.

An alternative variation of the above suggestion is to make wearers of heavy armour to be able to “cover” an ally. Staying at point blank range, we will automatically kick the closest ally from the path of harm and thus redirect it toward ourselves to resolve (since the kick is automatic, we can decide to use a shield to cover ourselves with it). The ally suffers some damage from our kick and has to rise from the ground, but other than that, they would be okay. Also some of the damage the wearers of heavy armour receive would be translated into durability damage and these armour pieces would have a significantly more durability to fit the role.

Whenever a wearer of heavy armour should sidestep, they cannot be harmed by attacks that would stun us? Parrying any blow due sidestep could be okay too, but only if the sidestep is then limited in some mobility wise ways.

Not always. Depends from the context.

Sounds like a rage / adrenaline rush sort of mix. Whenever the gauge reaches its maximum damage limit, the wearer of heavy armour goes into an adrenaline rage and can’t be stunned before the gauge is depleted by receiving double the amount of damage that triggers it. When the aforementioned quantity of damage is received while enraged, the character falls into a temporary weakened state that makes them slower for a short duration before getting back into their former self.

99.999% of the time is it a bad thing.

1 Like

It’s a choice the devs make when designing a game. That .001 of an event can be chosen, if we know what it is. If we can pick it, we can grow the ratio. It all comes to the context in the end.

That’s not the way it works.

Tell that to Red Hook, Blizzard, Wizards of the Coast (MTG, D&D) et cetera. Context matters.

Edit:

I’d wager that basically every experienced enough developer understands that context is the next important after pacing (they just resolve in the opposite order).

If something is bad in 9 out of 10 situations, using it in that 10th situation does not mean that it is now good in 2 out of 10 situations. That’s not how ratios work.

Your idea of 9 out of 10 isn’t necessarily backed by empirical evidence. This is what I wanted to point out. Until we are absolutely certain that the 9 out of 10 is exactly the true existing ratio, we must remember that there’s a chance that the ratio may fluctuate (be different).

Yes, if you find a NEW situation. In that case, it would be bad in 9 out of 11 situations, but that wasn’t the point. The point is, picking that 10th situation we already know about doesn’t affect the ratio at all.

This above quote is just plain incorrect.

Then let me put it this way, that you might understand. Your stated ratio is probably incorrect coz even the nigh opposite (to me, due my past experiences involved; context wise) is highly likelier to be correct.

The only situation we can’t make a correctly working light bulb is to make an incorrectly working light bulb.

Forget ballpark, that isn’t even the same sport. It’s in no way related to what we were talking about. It isn’t even close.

What I mean is that context matters. The only way something to not work is to arrange the variables in a way that the statement is true. If you want to make a brick wall, you gotta know how to make a wall made of bricks. You want to implement a feature that is active the whole time and nullifies something during this aforementioned timeframe while keeping up balance, then you gotta research a way how to do that. It’s rather simple when you learn the trade.

Edit:

The light bulb example is pretty simple. We need context to define which light bulb works correctly and which doesn’t. It’s a choice on that level. Some contexts even make every light bulb work correctly while some others do the exact opposite.

The light bulb analogy just doesn’t work.