Survived my first purge, but

Just a tip for your farming endeavours, @seabumb . I see you donā€™t mind playing with more than one account. Make one for farming resources. Max out expertise and choose pack mule. Max out authority and choose war party. The rest goes to grit and vitality. It doesnā€™t matter if there arenā€™t many resources near your base. End game farming, if you want to build t3 bases, means youā€™ll need to farm like a pro. Get either obsidian tools or, if you feel lucky, black blood ones. Make sure you have a blacksmith that can make legendary weapon repair kits in case you get the bb tools. Then learn the best spots in the map for each resource. When you go there (now easier via teleport) you donā€™t farm 1 or 2k. You dry out the place and farm 60k, for instance. Players that only use one account drink a bestial memory potion and change attributes. If you play with more than one account, have one just to farm. So, make that account, learn the best spots and go get the motherload, tiger! :smile:

3 Likes

It seems to me that, though not certain, building a base with large area of natural surface exposed from inside could potentially cause this problem.

My suggestion is, build walls instead of fence over your ā€œbackyard fence foundationā€, one wall facing the outer world and another wall facing your backyard so you have a 1-foundation-tile width of wall enclosing your backyard, then place your archers over those walled ā€œfenceā€ to make your backyard a kill box in case if any purge foes were spawned inside of the backyard(because it seems to me that the game never spawn foes over the second floor of a sheltered foundation tile).

This actually happens.
I have had a few purges where the NPCs came across the desert to my base area. The nice thing was they got distracted and started fighting regular mobs on the way.
Also, if you have a gate open or they manage to break down a spot at your outer wall, the majority will head there.

2 Likes

First of all, I love your RP mentality :+1:t6:. This mentality is something I was missing in my beginning of the game! Reading your posts I still cannot understand if I speak to a person that has the first experiences of the game, or to a person that knows the ā€œbase gameā€ and now tries to RP. In the following lines I will speak to a person that knows the game that wants to play RP.

We both agree that in this game knowledge is the key!

I remember my self when I started this game playing as a dedicated farmer.
When I was starting my first goal was to survive and find a safe place to build my first shelter.
Then I was going for my first materials to fix a furnace to gain iron and start the progress of my character based of my crafting abilityā€¦
Eventually when I was gaining the knowledge of the game I was realizing that I donā€™t need it anymore :man_shrugging:. My crafting advance focus, took me to where I needed to be and this knowledge is useless now!
So I believed that devs are trolling me, they fixed the game wrong!
Wellā€¦ They didnā€™t, I just focused to safety!
So I started to play a bit different after.
When I was restarting a character I was thinking, what if I gather some aloes, kill some foes take the knowledge I need from the starting river and the Darfari lands and head to Sepermeru, without a house as a runnerā€¦ And I made it!
Then on the way for Sepermeru, unnamed city is on the way, hmmm, I can take the knowledge while running I guess and I made this tooā€¦

Without understanding what exactly I was doing or how I will make it, just with the little things I new about the map and where is safe to place a bedroll, I managed to create a route, a trip around the map to gain knowledge without placing a single foundation or gather materials! The runner way!
Later, doing this over and over again, my fighting skills grow, I was fighting in the way with whatever I had and sometimes I had only my fists and kicks! So I learned finally that my best farming tool is my weapon and not my crafted funcy tools!

This game has a lot to give to the ones that want to play out of the box! Itā€™s an amazing game and I wish you to enjoy it as much as I do since now :grin:!

Pleased to meet you exile, happy to chat with you :+1:t6:.

1 Like

I am new to this game. In fact, I am relatively new to gaming (well, returning after 40 or so years - I am 60). My return to gaming was Elden Ring, and I suffered learning that Dark Souls games are not for the meek. I beat that game 5 times, to get all achievements and endings. So coming to this game late, I approached it like Elden Ring and I fight like I am still in the Lands Between. Your ā€˜runnerā€™ method was how I started. I did not get my first thrall until lvl 60. It is amazing how you can level just exploring the map. Then I started ā€˜listeningā€™ to the journey and decided to build a base.

The roll playing aspect came from my game-learning in Elden Ring. Stick to a theme, it makes it more enjoyable and the many deaths more tolerable. I started my second Conan Exiles character yesterday. I am playing her just as I described previously, and that required getting one thrall. I got an entertainer because I ran across a T4 in the Mounds of the Dead - named thrall, go for it! Yes, indeed, ran all the way there, killing anything I could along the way to loot gear and weapons. Well, I looped around the Shattered Bridge a few times to get my armor, then fought the Giant Crocodile maybe four times, five? To get legendary weapons. Very pathetically, Forgelight dropped three times! What?! That does not work for my character. Then killing a giant spider, amazingly, the chest had Musashiā€™s Black Blade. This worlds better than the stone daggers I had been using (and the sword I looted somewhere along the way.) I think that spider dropped The Nemedian, because I noticed it in my stuff shortly after. I had to research what that helmet even did, and I was happy! I skipped that cave in my first run and that is the only reason I went for it this time. Dark Souls style playing made the spider relatively easy, so long as you watch the stamina. As for the crocodile, I do not credit any skill or ability on my part, I watched an old speed-run video and he went straight for the crocodile to get a legendary weapon. He discussed his technique for fighting the croc at level 5, 6? I think I was about lvl 15 as I did it after the Dregs.

To get early XP and leveling I basically went straight to the Dregs. Stealth killing Defari and then into the dungeon. By the time I finally reached the Mounds of the Dead I was level 29, no base, no follower and only spending about two hours. Today I had planned to level up the Entertainer but I have real-world issues to attend first.

Oh, I went to the Mounds of the Dead hoping to get a Dalinsia or Ulrik but Lianeele [sic] was a great grab. Her stats are almost as good as Dalinsiaā€™s and she has an 80% chance of strength growth and an 85% chance of Vitality, so the odds are she will be a great companion for the entire game, although as I head to towards the Pirate King to snag his piece of the Scourgestone, I intend to try to snag the Beastmaster. I hope they like running. I have no intention of building a base until I am lvl 60. The only issue is armor and weapons. I think I am good for weapons now with the Katana (although my plan was dual blades and spear) and The Nemedian helm to repair it. Once it is base time, I will follow a lot of the advice on this page. And as @MarcosC suggested, I might use another character for building and gathering, and RP that one as a former tradesmen or engineer. That would fit the need for building.

I noticed my purge meter is going up as I run around but I thought it was based on building. Again, my ignorance shows through. Sadly, at this rate, I might have a purge attack my first base as soon as it is built so again, as @MarcosC suggested, if I have a second account build the base, then that my negate the immediate purge? Probably not but I do not know anything about how the Clan mechanics work.

I wrote too muchā€¦

3 Likes

Do not underestimate the hammer power in this game, because oar has the hammer animation :wink:.

Welcome friend, I am closing 47 in less than a week, so I am a yougling, your little brother I guess. Go for it :+1:t6:, age doesnā€™t matter, guts do!

1 Like

The rarest of them all. You were very lucky.

1 Like

Man, I just loved your post! Your playstyle is wonderful.
I too cleared Elden Ring a while ago. Itā€™s probably the easiest title of fromsoftware, but very pleasant. Two or three bosses are old school. I loved those fights. I donā€™t think their quest system works very well in a open world map, but the game is great overall. My favorite ending was age of stars.
If you keep the Dark Souls mentality through Conan Exiles, you can solo all content. But, for the love of God, enjoy all the game has to offer, especially the gorgeous thralls you get on occasion! :smile:
Iā€™m very pleased to have a player like you with us. Keep posting often!

Fact.

After reviewing Testlive Season 2 for a couple of weeks, I wish they had put the effort to give us cats (i.e. Siptah turtles reskinned) into fixing purges.

2 Likes

Welcome to the sexagenarian club.

I have found this game to be a great source of relaxation and delight.

5 Likes

Soloing it is no longer an option since Lianeele joined to team. I had no idea she was rare. I did not get a Dalinsia spawn so I went into the little town to kill everyone as I waited for the the NPCs to spawn again, and in the hut where the cooking recipes are at, Lianeele was praying. I almost one-shot her from behind but luckily my brain clicked with I realized there was a golden outline around her name. Regroup. Roll. Regain stamina. Fumble around for that darn wooden truncheon. Start to wack away. I actually did not think that truncheon was going to work as her health bar was very low and fear was setting in that she would die before that grey bar vanished.

She and I intend to head east for a bit and then when she is 10 or so, we will return to slay the Barrow King. That should not take long if she survives her first few encounters with wolves. She came with adequate daggers for this area but better are necessary. This play-through is now two women on a vengeance mission. I was not saving any of the unnecessary armor from the trip north so she is only in rags. I guess a few more rounds in the village here to see if I can get her some better gear.

Looted gear is not always so great. I also intend to build a foundation, maybe a tiny shelter for the journey xp, then place a few crafting stations there to get some better armor. I am thinking Skelos Master Chestpiece and the rest Reptilian since those are easy to farm. That should get us both through most areas since agility buffs work for us.

I went into my attack and pulled out a computer I had so might just set up a private server. Sadly, I think if I do this then I would have to start a new run as transferring this run to a new server is not possible from what I have read, but that may be old information. I do like your suggestion of the dual accounts have different rolls for each character. I still have a lot to learn.

DONā€™T use Lianeele for fighting! Itā€™s a crime! Sheā€™s a t4 dancer, a very rare t4 dancer and itā€™s the ONLY non purge t4 dancer that can be beautiful ( I hope the rng graced you twice) and have decent breast. All the others are flat.
Get a fighter. Thereā€™s always a Berserker in a lake bellow. Get that one. Lianeele will be removing your corruption at the base when you get back via transportory stone. :wink:

2 Likes

Ohā€¦so converting her to a zombie would be frowned upon, huh? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rest assured, she will not become a zombie! She is actually proving to be a very good fighter. I had some reservations considering her melee accuracy is only 0.8 according to the wiki. I am not sure how up-to-date this is but together, in just a hour, she is level 13 and we cleared the Witch Queen easily. I got lost heading for the Pirate King but this worked out better, perhaps.

Also, I just build a few crafting stations to make better armor and learned I could not make the Skelos set because it requires Perfected Padded Leather [?]. Having just completed the Witch Queen, I will make the Lemurian armor. for now.

You are still to fight anything hard. Sheā€™s a t4 with good stats, but I would rather bang my head on a wall than taking Lianeele with me to the Wine Cellar dungeon. Heckā€¦ I would think twice before going with her to the Well of Skelosā€¦
But itā€™s your thrallā€¦

1 Like

No, no, I need the advice. I did not do the Wine Cellar with my other character so I guess I need to run it. I might just go back to soloing and leave her someplace safe.

One of the best thrall fighters you can get is at the mounds and has a 100% spawn rate. The Cimmerian Berserker. Comes equipped with a star metal greatsword also. That should be your go to thrall.

2 Likes

Just get a good fighter thrall, take it to the jungle for fast leveling and thatā€™s it. You can get the thrall JJ and me suggested you (itā€™s the same) or get a relic hunter treasure seeker from the beginning of the wine cellar itself. If you need, I can show you how later.