Teleporting is bad

I just want to ride a pack donkey… I believe teleportation can work, although it would shrink the map considerably. Likewise, i think quick mounts is too much and has the same effect. Camels, donkeys and thralls should be a way of carrying resources though, with the former two traveling at the speed of a human sprint.

That makes sense, Locust. Everything else can be adjusted by server admins… let teleportation be also. That way those that want it and those that don’t can both be happy.

1 Like

I just want it as an option in server parameters, and they say it will…but it’s not the case in the testlive…

1 Like

If not a server option, then I’m sure it will be possible to change it through mods.

they just need to ban discussion about mounts until they are ready to add them into the game cause people suggesting the same stuff over and over is starting to get really annoying.

here is two direct quotes from Bylos himself

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that.
But actually… I dont see any reason for mounts or any other fast travel anyway.
Well. Whats done is done.
What do pvp players say about this? For fleeing/becoming human vaults that escape?

Fast travel is good for PVP because it can be a way to “get back into the fight” faster.

The issues with raiding balance, lack of base defense, lack of secure storage, etc.should be considered a separate problem. People already flee and become human vaults without teleporting, so I don’t think much will change. The problem is gonna be there whether or not they can do it faster.

Whoa… I would LOVE a fake foundation → Looking like foundations but actually containing things.

1 Like

What intrigues me is how this will change the meta for PvP base locations.

Will they build close to obelisks, or far from them?

My theory is that it depends on whether the clan is hegemon or underdog.

Underdogs will probably build far away and hidden. Hegemons are likely going to build close to the obelisks (so long as they can keep a god bubble up).

If you’re part of the ruling alliance, you’ll probably want to build near an obelisk as well, so that you can have allies who can teleport in to fend off raids.

I played Everquest before Planes of Knowledge. The EQ map (collectively) was massive. Traveling was such an issue that SoE not only introduced portals, they also added both a speed-run buff and a very difficult-to-obtain pair of speed-run shoes.

They still ended up adding instant travel. Why? Getting people able to cast a portal was a nightmare. Did it end up ‘shrinking the map’? In a sense, sure, but it also allowed people to go to areas that were previously dead due to the difficulty in getting there and let the developers add content requiring this travel.

Teleportation will not be as game-breaking as some of you make it out to be if the devs keep the number of locations low enough that travel is still needed to reach a destination.

2 Likes

I agree with what you’re saying here, but I do want to mention that the Unreal Engine isn’t keeping them from adding mounts! There are several Unreal Engine games that have mounts in them.

It has to do with the Conan Exiles map in particular, but from what they’ve said, it’s not outside of the realm of being resolved. It’s just very complicated.

but you also need to take into consideration some programming issues that might come with every change. Anyway… If the speed limit is the major issue they could just create mounts with players speed limit while sprinting but with much slower stamina drain and with increased load weight… right? that would do for most players. No changes to players movement speed that could break map, textures or what ever… But another issue how will terrain respond to 4 legged creature movement? We can see that lot of animals have very rough movement animations. But i believe this could be done in acceptable time frame and reasonable budget

There is nothing wrong with teleportation so long as it’s available in limited locations and requires to be unlocked with certain achievements. What will normally take you a while to do, you will finish in less time. It is not laziness but convenience. The game should not be burdensome. And, running everywhere without a mount is burdensome, especially since the world will be twice as large at launch.

1 Like

Where did you get that Unreal doesn’t allow for mounts? The reason mounts won’t be in this game at launch is because they build the map on 1x1 meter squares and they are too small swift mounts. You will actually run off the edge of the map. They discussed this on one of the Dev Streams. Teleportation is a good thing if it works and is limited. There is nothing wrong with wanting to quick travel especially for those of us who have limited play time and don’t have hours on top of hours to play a video game. Teleportation allows us to get around quickly. Again it needs to be done right and limited.

2 Likes

Whenever I set my movement speed up to 10+ (admin menu in singleplayer), the game crashes if I get near big camps/villages/cities while running. Simply cant keep up loading the world.
I think that would be the worse issue…

1 Like

I for one am looking forward to teleporting once you have earned it. I love this game yet I have limited time to play it so having the option for fast travel is a need. For those who dont want to use it, play on a server that doesnt offer it.

Not seeing the need for a debate on this.

1 Like

I understand why most players prefer mounts… it looks good, it is another thing to do in game and what ever… But give us mounts and players will ask for mounted combat or to make it work as it is in wow like MMOs where your mount cant die, or to make it machines of war for siege… I would love to ride on back of horse or camel, but i believe it would be same s**t as Ark and i had enough of that already. Teleporting is good, with correct implementation and restrictions

4 Likes