That's it, I've had enough

I’ve been playing Funcom games since the beta of Anarchy Online and its disastrous release. My new machine is 2-3 weeks old and yet this software continues to crash. Why? SWL is what? Eight years old? Previously I was playing on Win 7 and now on Win 10.

But screw those details… What’s the problem? It sure isn’t my hardware.

I played Anarchy Online during beta, like I did TSW. In AO, I have NO idea how your software went from being somewhat fairly stable during beta to only go from there to ALL players being trapped in beginner zones and also - wtf? - geometry?

I’m posting this as a customer - someone who is not just a patron, but has also spent more money over top of that. Look up my account and look at it. My point here is that I have forked over money to your company yet crap that is years - YEARS - old still exists. Not just little, annoying crap either like having to vote to retreat from a NY raid or else players crash if they try to exit any other way; annoying as hell but not a deal breaker. Ridiculous.

So, hear I am with my new machine that’s all jacked up with CPU, RAM, and graphics card - BRAND NEW - and I paid good money for it. Yet, YOUR game crashes as it ALWAYS has
among other issues like when it crashes and my character gets teleported to an empty NYR instance from a friggin’ dungeon (WTF???) And that’s not even unique to this particular machine! Again, WTF???

I’ve been playing your company’s games since AO was in beta. When was that? 2001 or close to it? Nearly TWENTY YEARS I’ve been paying for your games so it’s not like I’m just spouting off about just one application.

I loved Anarchy Online. I love this game. But, f’ing A I will not be giving you another dime with this crap going on.

WTF is the problem??? You never fixed it when the game was flush with cash when it was released and you sure as hell haven’t done anythng about this stuff since - COMMON BUGS. Also, as long as I have your attention, I deal with looking at “Await word from your handler” in my missions every single time I log in, however many years THAT has been going on… Very annoying since I expect NO updates to the storyline.

But, again, WTF is wrong with your software or game engine or whatever. Is it management?
Lack of talent? WTF? I work with computers but I don’t know everything however, even if I did, why should it be MY OR ANYONE ELSE’S job to figure out your bugs for you? I’m not going to QA your products for you (anymore) for free. On that note, I don’t want to hear from anyone here who is not a Funcom employee - players - about how I can get around whatever by jumping through some hoops. SWL - 8 years old. My machine - 2 weeks old. Again, it’s not my or anyone else’s job to figure this out, it’s YOUR job, Funcom, not ours.

To wrap this up, I’ve been a Funcom customer for what? Nearly 20 years now? That’s a long time and a lot of loyalty no matter how foolish it ended up being.

I loved AO. I love SWL. But this is the last product I purchase from Funcom.

7 Likes

It’s the software mate, it crashes for literally everybody :v:

1 Like

I feel you…

Funcom has been my favorite company until SWL. Anarchy Online is/was amazing… I had a wet dream for Anarchy Online II for years. AO nano and implant system is still really cool amongst modern MMOG’s.
TSW was something different. Fresh idea with really cool ability wheel system. Funcom offered games what werent same-old-same-old. There were “features”, but games were so cool so we tolerated them.

I still have TSW and SWL installed. I have Lenovo Legion Y740 and havent had that much crashes… other than typical zoning crashes. Reason I log in to these games are old friends. But since there are less and less of them in game, there is not much of a reason anymore.

I dont see a reason to buy their products anymore either. 2012 game quality is not for 2021. “Features” what still are on, and even worse, were fixed in TSW but were reborn in SWL… its just too much for me too. I dont know what is goming from Tencent Funcom? Is it anything cool, is it cash crap from the start or what?

There is a big opening for “different” MMORGP. There is opening for any good MMORGP in fact. Games are coming but they all seem to have that red and blue bar on top left corner, and not a fan of that.

Ffs, best modern MMORPG experience seem to be The Division 2 these days :smiley:

Peace. Lets talk. Dont drop the hammer Funcom.

1 Like

What kills me is that, while my old machine wasn’t up to the task in several ways, it still didn’t often (frig… I’m conceding to “not often”) give me crap whereas this new jacked up machine gives me more problems than ever.

I still love playing SWL but, buddy, if you eventually end up finding another mmorpg that is interesting, I’ll tag along with you. :smile:

As of yet, my patience hasn’t completely run out, but it’s getting damned close. :frowning:

1 Like

Man, that’s exactly it. It’s friends like Pilchenstein above who keep me around as well as I enjoy playing the game - when it friggin’ WORKS.

But it’s coming to the point where the aggravation is taking over the fun. Who wants to go into a high level dungeon or whatever only to crash and end up at the anima well at the least but most likely it’s worse than that?

The “fun” is being offset by the frustration.

1 Like

*taps head* Game can’t crash if the pc catches fire first :v:

2 Likes

Can you add the blue flicker in OD in there as well? I get it 100% of the time when trying to beat mine or others highest wave record… Even when I haven’t died once. Big 'ol pain in the butt since it’s one of the main reasons I like to play.

I have to say, i have never had as many crashes as others seem to have experienced.
I don’t get the flicker bug
Nor the misty bug
Nor the black screen bug.
I didn’t get the notorious Crystal Flame DC either.
And the nvidia update that was wonky and caused many to crash - i didnt get that either even tho i took the update.
You are lucky if i crash once in a week of playtime, (and i can go for weeks of play without a DC)
Maybe once in many months of play have i had a black screen.
And i do recall one time i got the porting loop on empty NYR instance when leaving a dungeon.
I also dont have any issues leaving NYR when i complete it.
Yet my husband does and we both have the same machine lol

I play Direct X 9 coz the features that require DX10 are disabled so there would be no use for DX10 to be used.
No SSAO, No Anti-Aliasing and No Motion Blur (cos that’s just madness and would just be torture to the brain)
And all other settings are on full. (all on 4)
I see many say the full settings in this section is bad, but not for me its not.
CPU usage is not overly heavy on my PC, neither is GPU.

So i dunno what the problem is for anyone else.
Can not be enjoyable when all you want to do is play.

That so weird. Do you two use the exact same settings? Would be awesome if you figured out something that was causing problems.

1 Like

I switched from DX11 to DX9 recently and haven’t had the game crash since. The only other setting change I had to make is moving “effects” from 0 to 1 because DX9 takes the concept of 0 way too far (every single billboard texture gets resized to about 10 pixels wide, so for example the continue/end icons in Occult Defense both become blue blurs)

My framerate feels much less smooth on dx9 but that’s not as bad as crashing at random.

2 Likes

Apparently he has his settings all on low (which i find odd) I guess its performance over quality of how the game looks, and his game doesn’t look terrible on the low graphics settings, he says they are all on 1.

I remember when i did have them all on 1 or maybe some were on 0 (My older PC died and was using a literal toaster replacement until i got this new one) There was a weird filthy mesh looking thing that covered over NYR instance, Drenneth asked if the view distance was set to 0.
Turned out it was and that’s what caused it.
Setting it higher removed the Mesh effect.

Either way, it is all a conundrum and i always advise anyone playing the game to use DX9 and not 10.

Other information.
16GB Memory
Windows 10 64bit
Intel i5-2500 3.30ghz quad core
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
Cheap mouse, cheap keyboard, Cheap monitor, cheap speakers but really good headphones lol
I always keep windows updated and take all updates for software i use and hardware i have set to automatically download and install.

On a different note:
One thing i WISH could be eliminated is the invasive effects from healing. In particular the fish eye warping effect from the Elite Heal.
In TSW they had changed the Elite Fist heal to have this effect and it was a hideous invasive effect even then.
You could enter Fusang from your base spawn point and see the effect happening from Centre facility.
I thought my PC was having a breakdown!
And here in SWL it’s no better, so i wish a lot of the particle effects could be reduced on done away with as they simply just aren’t necessary IMO.
There muse be a better way to animate such things.

1 Like

You know… I didn’t even know that was a thing they added themselves! And when we were in Shambala the other day…I thought to myself “why haven’t I seen that in ages?”. It hasn’t happened to me in a long time. You do mean that one that warps the whole screen right?

Also, I got that mesh once after dying in NY.
I’ve crashed and come back to NY about 6 times now from other places.
And I’ve gotten the blue flicker or mist thing you mentioned so many times that I can’t even count.
I don’t crash very often though. Not on this laptop that I’ve have for a little over a year.

Wassat fer?

That just reduces the number of debuff icons you see on world bosses and stuff from other players.

1 Like

I have had more crashes to desktop, no crash log over the last few months. sometimes after teleporting, starting to run or changing direction when running. I use direct x11 and Nvidia graphics card. Maybe I should think of trying Direct x9

100% you should! That is everyone’s main problem. A lot of people are usually relieved when they switch.

Absolutely switch to DX9 - 10/11 is not needed unless you run with the options it requires and even then - they aren’t necessary to the game.
It does seem to cause more issues and is often the first thing asked to people when they mention the crashes when they first join.

Yeah that’s just for the icons on you char mate.
Which is why it also says to show them on targets, team, self and is in same section as dmg numbers etc

Yes, it used to be called “Fired up” in TSW and there was a combat overhaul at some point that added the effect and it was just awful. Whether its a side effect of the animation and isn’t supposed to happen or is actually part of the animation - its hideously invasive none the less and does sometimes cause the screen to lag and distorts your viewpoint. I think this came in around the same time they changed the EFB and screwed with everyones build crafting due to the way it applied the EFB and the suits you wore interfered with your choice of glyphing, since the suits then started to add glyphing stat distribution in ways you just didn’t want/need for your builds.

I think the settings slider also plays a part in how much of the animations we see and sadly, with this particular one being tied to it, it means you also have to do without seeing other things you don’t mind or want to see just to compensate. Might be why you dont see it sometimes if you move your sliders often for certain situations. I.e Screenshots - better quality. Dungeons, more performance, OD - ONLY THE NECESSARY ERMAGHERD!

I would much rather it was removed from the ability cast completely, the spinning action and green glow is totally enough lol

Holy crack! I just downloaded the newest Nvidia driver 460.79, and I am crashing like every 5 minutes!!! So much for not crashing very often.