The Big Ol' VoIP Bug Thread

It has been a long time coming to add to this, but VOIP is a serious issue that needs fixing. I have a VOD from one of the most intense role play story lines that I’ve been able to be apart of that was constantly filled with VOIP related issues.

I’d love to link a VOD in particular this happened with, but apparently I cannot include links on the forum… I stream on Twitch under the handle of Bitter Rabbit and frankly any of my VODs from my character Dolva or Sabira are riddled full of VOIP issues. One of the worst chain of instances to date was a crucial story peak where my character could not speak to the leader of the tribe due to VOIP issues, was then pulled into the situation she was trying to warn about but could not, and then for a few minutes could not hear her lover speaking during a literal life and death situation because of VOIP issues yet again. Then upon his death and her having to travel back to the castle and inform others of what happened yet again VOIP was dysfunctional and further ruined the emotional intensity of the moment with several people. This is merely during a 2-3 hour span. Another instance early on with the character we were speaking for 3 hours straight in a singular spot and the moment we started walking away the voice stopped working. Again, this is a serious problem!

This went on and off throughout the rest of this and MANY other streams, it is absolutely ridiculous how unstable and unreliable the current state of VOIP is in the game. The role play community is such a huge and vital part of this game and it is one of the two major things that we beg and plead for the developers to hear us out so that we can continue to enjoy this game as players and tell our stories. We want to stay and keep playing, but those of us who are content creators cannot continue with a game that doesn’t care about something so crucial as it effects us heavily. This stream was filled so much emotions as the story came to its peak and it was nearly ruined several times by VOIP making it unable for us to hear each other. I could link countless VODs I have from this game that show this is not just a “sometimes” issue but a persistent problem that should be resolved, not shelved.

Please, this is a very serious issue for your game’s player base. We just want to be able to play the game and tell our character’s stories.

6 Likes

I have made this account just to reply to this thread, I am a Role player and stream on twitch my characters adventures and story. I take great pride and care to crafting his story, I have poured more hours into research and acting his day to day life out than I’ve probably committed to most things. So when I say his interactions with people are important to me, I can’t explain truly how deep it really goes. He is not a combat character his strengths are his voice and his mind, with out one of those things he falls apart and effectively loses relevance… And being a priest his voice is very important to not only himself but to other people, he has preformed weddings, funerals, rites of passage, council of judgement and advice. And in those moments when he can’t hear and can’t speak… It ruins moments and stories…

The voice in this game can be a MUCH more powerful weapon than any spear or sword, a voice properly heard can do so much more than a pet and treb… Looking at the importance of Voice, is like looking at the importance of a soul… For alot of us, if not all of us, they are the one and the same in this game. Its not something that should be second thought, for some of us this is the game, communicating. Moving pieces around the board, inspiring armies to rise up, or defusing tense life or death situations, and giving support and solace to the grieving… Emotions are show through voice first and foremost…

So again when I tell you I can’t explain just how important my character’s voices are to me… I mean that, in alot of ways they are my characters, my reason for playing and I think alot of us feel the same way and one day we will go where our voices can be heard in and out of game if its not fixed here soon… I love this game and the chance it gives me but… If some where else can do it better…

5 Likes

I personally have logged almost 3k hours into this game and as much as I love it, I also hate it due to the broken VoiP. I have supported it through not buying it not only once, but twice as well as having all the DLC, in hopes that perhaps just maybe this game would reach what it truly could be.

After watching the stream about how you know this is broken, but you have no real plans to fix it is basically a slap in the face of all the RP community as well as the streamers that promote your product through RP. Which is a very large part of your player base, only so many times you can watch people glitch into bases or use a spear and roll around for a half hour before people realize that the pvp only aspect is boring as can be. I know several communities of PvP only that have now gone to RP-PvP, just to continue playing and not be bored to tears.

The ones that bring the real audience to your game are the ones that RP, not only do they showcase your product, but bring it new life in ways that most would never think of bringing entertainment to those that will then be interested in getting into it for those reasons alone.

Fix your VoiP Funcom, or this game will end up being shelved and you wont be able to milk people for those DLC’s anymore, if money is the only language that actually speaks to you.

5 Likes

As someone who has played this game now pushing near to 1000 hours, I must first say no other survival genre game has entrapped me so well and so consistently. However, there has been one problem that has persistently caused me to not want to play the game as much. VOIP

I started out in PVP servers, and while voip was used less, it was still used and I can not tell you how many times it caused problems when trying to just talk to someone in the game, or in other cases, exchange banter while fighting some one. It was absolutely frustrating.

So you can imagine the extra frustration when I join in the RP community, and put in nearly triple the amount of hours I spent in PVP, only to have the VOIP bugs, glitches and breaks happen even more so. It has gotten to the point where I often go through 10-15 fixes, ranging from spinning around to whole computer restarts just to fix this issue. It is unacceptable, and a disgrace to the product and truly needs to be fixed for any sort of community to stick around in the game.

5 Likes

Another person from the RP community checking in.
This is the only game I really want to create stories in as it’s got a great setting and aesthetic, lot’s of opportunities… But every time when things build up and you start getting greater gatherings of people, some will be left out due to not being able to be hear, leading to them ultimately passing on great story opportunities and often taking breaks or quiting the game entirely.

Now I know a lot of folk would return if this one issue was solved and with it you’d have a lot more free publicity on twitch as well as DLC sales.
You can keep banking on gimmicks like pets and sorcery to have a quick boost, but what you really want to do is bank on people not getting frustrated by a core feature and STAYING with the game.

5 Likes

The VOIP BUG in Conan Exiles is persistent and annoying as all heck. There are RANDOM reasons why it will just completely stop. It does not seem to matter if you have been in close vicinity of the other person for a long time or if they are just newly arrived into the voice chat range. It just suddenly stops working. It is especially bad in areas where a larger group of people are located but it doesn’t seem to really matter, it can happen with just 2 people trying to talk to each other.

The use of voice chat is IMPORTANT in this game for a variety of reasons.

1. Communication with others to coordinate game-play & resolve problems. This does not even require that someone is role-playing but it can also be important for ANY server where multiple people log in to join a social experience on this game platform.

2. Role-play with voice requires VOIP to be working. Imagine you are watching a TV Show and suddenly the Actors all start to say “Hello?? Can you hear me?” or every line is first prefaced with ‘Can you hear me??’ followed by a series of comical dancing, twirling, slow spins, punching each other, punching a wall, running off to deep dive into a nearby lake, running off out of view distance and then returning, a variety of emotes, logging in and out of the game, restarting steam etc. It is very very intrusive to the experience and it is very much a disruptive issue for this type of game play.

3. Content creators who stream the game-play, either role-play or otherwise who rely on interactions with other human beings playing this game to assist in providing entertainment for their viewers, do not get very much traction with just text chat for their audience because the text chat is too small to see on a streamer’s screen. So they will usually stream on a server with VOICE active. If the voice does not work, the content creator will usually quit playing the game & quit featuring this game on their streaming channel. People DO buy games based on what they see being streamed, and if a streamer is having frustrations over VOIP in Conan Exiles, people will not buy it. So as you can see, having a working, functioning product is very important.

Please do prioritize development of a proper voice system in Conan Exiles. I have played many other games with VOIP involved including ARK and yeah…SecondLife which is a 15 year old platform by today’s standards and they both have superior VOIP which does not fail intermittently.

Regarding FIXES suggested the number one suggestion is to use discord or team-speak. Well this is not an appropriate suggestion because point of having VOIP in a game like this is so you can talk to NEW people and it is technically an impracticable solution to have to stop the game to add everyone you see who you wish to speak to, to your teamspeak or discord so you can just say ‘Hello!’.

4 Likes

I too am from the role play community and my comments echo the rest of the people here in this thread. I’ve hit around 1500 hours of playing and I can’t even recall the countless times I’ve ran into issues with the VOIP. I love the game, it’s pretty much one of my favorites but it’s super discouraging to me that this issue has persisted this long. Please fix this.

4 Likes

As you might have noticed: We do have it on the Trello board now. So make sure to vote it up :slight_smile:

7 Likes

At this point I’ve uninstalled Conan until the VOIP bug is seriously addressed. I enjoy the game but it makes any RP a huge hassle.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for hearing us out!

3 Likes

As someone in the RP community it is really hard to have great moments messed up by voip. Catching someone in the act of robing your base is a lot less fun when you have to spend 5 minutes trying to hear each other.

4 Likes

As someone who’s long dormant love of RP was re-kindled by Conan Exiles and the awesome rpers and the community I’ve found here I want to continue to add my support in getting this fixed. I posted in the original thread as well.

First, I’m glad to see funcom finally taking this more seriously, thank you!

It can’t be stressed enough how vital good working voip is to the rp community in telling their stories.

If we were acting on a live stage or in a movie we’d have more at our disposal to communicate with our audience (facial expressions, hand and body movement etc.), but, here on this platform our acting relies on our voices, and without working voip our voices are lost.

3 Likes

100% agree on the VoIP being fixed & voted on trello now. the Main reason i believe the RP community has dwindled on Conan is the VoIP, its the biggest ask for Role players, the game has great building mechanics and and fighting system, once VoIP hopefully gets improved the majority of RPers will give the game a second chance, some of my favorite moments in RP happened on Conan so i’d love to return!

2 Likes

I have also had this issue to the point of my friends in the RP community naming my VOIP issues the “Valley Curse” because I seemed to spread it around. I’ve had moments in middle of conversations where it died mid sentence. I’ve had moments where I could only consistently hear one person in a group of 14, and then in the most extreme case, VOIP refused to work for one particular person for 2 weeks to the point where when it finally kicked in we were too excited to actually RP for a solid minute.

VOIP is the backbone of the RP community because its literally what enables us to interact with each other in a way pure text simply doesn’t. Conan Exiles is a beautiful game and a wonderful platform for RP, it’s a huge shame that VOIP is the barrier between people coming back to it and utilizing it. I am very glad that the devs are taking an interest in it and really look forward to a fix for such a rampant and frustrating issue.

2 Likes

Conan Exiles is a beautiful game, I remember playing it for the first time and was happy to see playable females from the start. The one thing that is killing Conan is the VoIP I’ve talked to a lot of people asking me that they miss it and left because of that issue.

People will come back if the VoIP issue is fixed, it’s unfair that people have love for this game and can’t RP it out or talk in game. Please fix it!

2 Likes

I absolutely loved this game when I first got it. It’s a beautiful game with all sorts of things to do. The weapons were awesome the armors were awesome and the building was user friendly. I thought I had found the game that I would call home for the foreseeable future. Then my buddies said, “Hey lets get into some Conan RP servers.” I thought to myself, “Yeah Conan RP would be amazing!” Coming from ARK RP and some other RP servers/games I was super exited to start RPing on what, in my opinion, was a better platform for rp. It started off fine, right up until we were at a meeting between multiple factions and I was standing there like an idiot not able to hear a word anyone said. After a few mins of sitting there like a statue waiting for someone to talk, I messaged in global chat if anyone was talking and sure enough they had been. Tried tons of different things to fix it and finally it worked I could hear people, but not everyone of course. Out of the 10 people there and talking I could hear 7 of them.

This game has so much potential. This could’ve been the best thing to happen to RP communities in a long time, but the fact that this has been an issue as far back as 2016 and still not been fixed not only blows my mind, it also makes me wonder just how much Funcom really cares about their consumers and their games. There’s been, what, 4 paid DLC’s to come out for this game bringing in new content, but there still isn’t a working VOIP. Maybe I’m the only one with this opinion but that fact there shows me what Funcom cares more about. I haven’t played this game for more then 10 mins in the last 8 months not because I don’t want to, but because when key parts of a game are broken and the Dev’s continue to ignore them I feel like I wasted my money everytime I run into the issue in game. GG Funcom.

1 Like

This has been the one giant thing that has hurt me playing this game and has also hurt my community, we run 4 servers for this game and we suffer from player drainage due to the VoiP just being so unpredictable to see this get fixed would be an utter god send to myself and my communities

2 Likes

So I have been playing Conan Exiles for awhile now. When I first started playing the game it was back shortly before the jungle update. Since then I have clocked over 1500 hours with all of it being on role-playing servers. Through all of my experiences with the game there has been only a small handful of things I would personally want changed or fixed, however VoiP is the largest one. I have had moments where people who are direct enemies and to hit each other should start a war, punching each other so they could hear one another just for the story. The community has tried their small tricks and tips to try and get VoiP to work, but sometimes it just doesn’t work. I’ve had personally sentimental moments where I need to spend five minutes shouting, “CAN YOU HEAR ME?!” before I am able to start doing the story we come to this game to do every day.

I believe that if VoiP is fixed the drain of players in the role-play community would drastically reduced if not bring more people to the game or even bring them back!

1 Like

I’ve stewed on this post for a while, even with having brought VOIP to the Conan Community Streams public attention before. I never knew the best way to express just how immersion breaking it is to lose the ability to hear someone, or have someone lose the ability to hear you. Having to kick my friend in the face or sprint a quarter mile in the opposite direction just to come back and have no fix, only for it to suddenly come back again AFTER more serious plot has been discussed has taken away from quality experiences. VOIP has consistently been the game breaking issue for the roleplay community. We can deal with it looking like it rained indoors, we can deal with janky hitboxes, we cannot exactly enjoy our experience in such a beautiful world if we cannot properly share it amongst our peers for fear of losing ability to hear one another.

Imagine you are watching a film, or reading a book. Lets use Lord of the Rings for example, Aragorn kneels before Frodo, pledging his sword to him in the journey to destroy the One Ring. Frodo looks at him curiously as Aragorn but mouthed words. The rest of the council could hear Aragorn, but oh no, not Frodo. Frodo takes a step back, and drives his hairy little foot into Aragorns face. He cries out in pain. At last! Frodo can hear him!

Stupid, right?

Thank you for having taken this to the Trello and for your correspondence.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.