Thirsty Thrall pots

I haven’t used them since way back when thralls could starve to death.

Could anyone update me on their current usefulness/application besides a poor man’s preservation box or emergency mass feeding during a purge.

I filled two completely with gruel, thousands… 24 hours later both empty already whereas the gruel the thralls are carrying only went down 3 plates. The same with the creatures feedbox.

2 Likes

I would like an answer to this too. I tried to use a thrall pot recently, but my thralls wouldn’t even use the food inside (even when a) it was food they could eat and b) they had no food in their inventory). Does the thrall pot actually even work anymore?

2 Likes

Huh. I always thought they were about as useful as Lifeblood Spear, i.e. a left-over from the days when they mattered. If they’re still actually useful, I’d love to hear how.

I guess if you wanted all nearby thralls to receive the same growth bonus?

The only other thing I can think of is to mass feed your thralls and pets before a Purge to give them that 10-25% one hour buff.

4 Likes

No, I don’t think it does.

I placed a Thrall pot on bare ground out in the open far away from any other structure then had a few rocknoses stunlock an Aesir warrior without a weapon or food for a couple of minutes. After his health was reduced a few hundred I added gruel - no effect. Then exotic feast - no effect.

I then tested by having the Thrall pot on foundations in my base, marked a particular thrall and had it attacked while wielding a stone weapon. I got a fist buff sign flash up for a moment, but was not recovering any health at all. After the fight the Thrall’s health starting regenerating by ticks of one. I added gruel back into its inventory and it started healing fast again.

What I think is that after they stopped thralls being able to die from hunger they just left the Thrall pot alone, didn’t bother fixing it to allow regeneration or buffs with the new system.

4 Likes

Why, do they have more slots than chests? Or is it just fitting because it’s a “Thrall” pot. :grin:

1 Like

I mean, it shouldn’t. As far as I remember, the explanation of why they removed the thrall hunger was because of how it was implemented and the effect it had on the server performance: thrall AI would have to access and modify the thrall pot inventory very often, and this scaled poorly with the number of thralls around the pot.

So I would expect the thrall pot not to work, but you never know. Thanks for testing that, it’s good to have confirmation.

1 Like

Yes indeed. Thanks for your input folks. Easy to assume the Pet feeder suffered the same fate.

I actually renovated a few interior, structural, building pieces (say it slowly) to fit them too. Look before you leap I suppose :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Server settings define their use.

Hunger system for them will make this useful or not. If they can eat anything and hunger system is disabled, just used as weak healing, there is no reason for that. However if it is enabled, then I guess you need to have them fed. Plus, feeding helps define what perks they get based on what they eat often, needing health or not.

Have feasts and specially those from the north cooking book, and they will most likely get vitality or strength. Have crappy food for them, and they will most likely get survival or “jack of all trades”.

As herbivore Mounts and pets get bulkier or stronger by being fed bark and seeds, and if they are feed fiber and vines, they get survival.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.