Thrall management and control

Hi, folks, we have added two sections to the thrall page on the wiki. These are meant to be primers for new players and perhaps some tips and tricks for the veterans. The ability to control your partner has been expanded dramatically and with that, the complexity has deepened.

The first is Combat Thrall Leveling and can be found under this link.

The second and more comprehensive section is Thrall Management and delves into the options available for you to fine-tune the AI.

As usual, feedback is encouraged, whether it be suggestions, corrections or blatant criticism. Feel free to post here, edit the section or join the fan-based discord by clicking https://discord.gg/mGd7BeG.

Regards

jim

PS: A shout out to @WhatMightHaveBeen and others who contributed to the tips and tricks post !

13 Likes

Thank you very much for this Jim. :+1:t2:
One quick caveat though, AFAIK the decay timer for thralls on official PS4 PVE servers is set to 15 days (360 hours). I just checked on the server that I’m currently playing on.

1 Like

Good catch, zwkdiv. Although I am really dumb about consoles, I see no reason that would be different.

I do remember there are a few transitions on the structure decay timer that have to do with holiday times and am at a loss to define how long and when, sorry. I also think that applies to followers, but do not know.

Can anyone help here?

Regards

jim

h

A few questions and other tips for those reading this thread

Tip: Shattered Springs is also a great place for leveling thralls.

Question: I’ve been told that the melee damage bonus from the Cooked Pork Rinds will keep stacking all day long. So like drop the pork on ur thrall after server reset, then do it again in an hour and you just doubled the bonus and can keep growing the bonus all day long until next server reset. True or False?

Tip: (on PvP servers) you can still manually command your thrall to attack other players and thralls even during non-raid hours, however this now makes them eligible to receive damage as well. If an enemy thrall has not been commanded to Agro on a player or their thrall it will receive no damage from said attacks.

Question: in the wiki link it read that the leveling thrall will take all of the attribute points into a single attribute. I’ve never seen this happen. By my observations they spread the points out over several attributes, but I could be wrong. Can anyone clarify this? Perhaps the wiki just wasn’t worded properly or maybe I read it wrong.

3 Likes

Good points, WhiteRabbit. Yes, the points gained by leveling are semi-randomly spread over all attributes based on the weighted percentage. Each point, however, will end up in an attribute based on that probability distribution.

We struggled with that one too and decided simpler is better. Could you direct us to where you read that all points end up in one attribute? It would help fix it faster.

Appreciated !

Regards

jim

1 Like

First of all, thanks for all the effort. It’s great to see this stuff on the wiki and I hope it keeps growing to include more info that is currently obfuscated and misleading in-game.

On that note, I might have missed it, but I don’t think that the page includes any information about the experience requirements for different followers. For example, Beastmaster Teimos levels up much faster than Dalinsia Snowhunter, and can go from level 0 to level 2 by killing one large scorpion.

Another missing aspect is the health increase per point of vitality. Again, Beastmaster Teimos starts of with lower health pool, but it grows much faster than most (perhaps all) other followers.

2 Likes

For Jim, it was under the conbat thrall leveling section in part “2” under the visual aid where you are explaining a thralls attributes and percentages and buffs

After rereading it all again you actually did state prior to that that they would spread the points out randomly among attributes so there was probably some misreading on my part

2 Likes

The “hidden” attributes for str and acc are under the thrall tables as “multipliers”.

Good to know on the survival, as i know i thought it should be almost OP if you get 40 survival on a thrall.

Rock-noses are good, but very limited due to clearing them so fast in shattered springs.

Apes would be number one (Sasquatch grey ones) because of the abundance you get and never have to wait for re-spawn. Plus crap ton of fur/hide/savory meat.

Unnamed City would be #2 after they he around 10, because it consolidates the tenuous special legendary weapons and FoPs.

2 Likes

While you’re in the Springs you can harvest all the stone, wood and brimstone. Make sure to kill the Rotbranch and get the legendary and then when all the rock noses are dead there you can either run through the reds to the east and kill the Rockslide and rocknoses there or/and go hit up the first half of warmakers and farm the mini-bosses for weapons and if those dam rocknoses still aren’t respawned(you must be really really fast) then you can head over to unnamed as well (which imo is highly overrated), much thrall xp killing all the skeletons for sure but killing all those bosses takes a while and rarely produces the weapons you’re looking for whereas the Servant of the Priest King will guaranteed drop you something useable at least half the time and he’s super easy to kill

I like running the apes too, it’s a necessary part of my day to day operations , need that steak for leveling the thralls, but the brimstone from the Springs is way more important , it’s the life blood of this game on the PvP servers ( steel, hardened steel, powders) , gotta have it, a lot of it, constantly.

2 Likes

Brimstone spawns 1 per hour. Again, agree to disagree. I have had clan mates challenge me on this, and i have always been able to level myself and thralls way faster running a circle around witch queen area, never having to wait, wear a gas mask. Boss killing is a waste, as it takes too long compared to the time it takes me to kill apes. And Time is the most important part of CE, above any resource.

2 Likes

for comparison and without actually counting (going off memory) here is 1 run thru each area.

area EST. TOTAL FOR 1 RUN PVP X4
SHATTERED SPRINGS 588600 2354400
Forgotten City of Xel-ha 831600 3326400
Biomes Name Health Drops XP KILLS TTL XP
Forgotten City of Xel-ha Grey Ape 760 Bone, Claws, Fangs, Fur, Gray Ape Head, Hide, Savoury Flesh 16200 24 388800
SHATTERED SPRINGS Rocknose (White) 508 Brimstone, Crystal, Rocknose Head, Stone 14400 24 345600
Forgotten City of Xel-ha Gorilla 855 Bone, Fur, Hide, Savoury Flesh, Thick Hide 12600 15 189000
SHATTERED SPRINGS Rocknose 346 Brimstone, Crystal, Rocknose Head, Stone 9000 15 135000
SHATTERED SPRINGS Rotbranch 15687 Bone, Exotic Flesh, Skeleton Key, Thick Hide, Vines 108000 1 108000
Forgotten City of Xel-ha Reptilian Monstrosity 19143 Bone, Claws, Exotic Flesh, Fangs, Reptile Hide, Skeleton Key 99000 1 99000
Forgotten City of Xel-ha Shoebill (Green) 400 Exquisite Meat, Feather, Hide, Savoury Flesh, Shoebill Head (Variant A) 10800 5 54000
Forgotten City of Xel-ha Shoebill (Grey) 400 Exquisite Meat, Feather, Hide, Savoury Flesh, Shoebill Head (Variant B) 10080 5 50400
Forgotten City of Xel-ha Shoebill (Pink) 400 Exquisite Meat, Feather, Hide, Savoury Flesh, Shoebill Head (Variant C) 10080 5 50400
3 Likes

zwkdiv, I do not play officials (Battleye and I do not get along), so can only refer to Nicole’s announcement on 9 July which states the decay was doubled to 14 days (336 hours).

The implication is that 7 days (168 hours) is the norm, so I’m confused, at the very least.

It may not be the way we are reading it, but the way it was implemented. I dunno?

I did put a caveat in, but would rather have something exact. Still investigating and any info you have is appreciated !

You may have uncovered a bug; we will see !

Regards

jim

1 Like

Thanks, White! I added Shattered Springs to the list of possible leveling areas. While the best is in question, it’s a quite viable option with benefits.

Pork rinds: No clue, probably a bug that people are exploiting.

Tip: Certainly a bug that needs to be fixed. Unfair use of a bug to gain an advantage in PvP is deplorable.

Question: I saw your later post and sorta disagree with you. If you read it that way, others may also, so it’s a quite valid concern. We need to put some thought into how to word that better, but will give it a shot and let you know when the changes are made. If you would be so kind as to review it and post here, we would appreciate it :slight_smile:

Regards

jim

1 Like

Chaon, the hidden modifiers are shown later in the page. We combined it into one Combat Thrall table that you can sort and choose your poison :man_supervillain:

I like the ape run around Dagon’s Embrace. Great XP and every other run I get a demon or three. Quite overstocked on demon blood. Also, the healing arrow support can let a lower level thrall take on a boss easily. I never considered the survival aspect and spitters, thanks !

Regards

jim

2 Likes

Code, thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

You are correct in that the XP requirements are not listed and are of three types. We added the link and the reference to the section below it. Thanks !

The health increase per point of vitality is a derived value and there are more. We have looked for a way to display those, but it would require a separate page; we simply ran out of room. The same applies to gender. Some folks want to know that, but the page is only so wide. Pondering and discussing the means and the content.

Regards

jim

1 Like

(Personal, not wiki)
@WhatMightHaveBeen, fascinating chart, TY. Were it based on hard data and not subject to variances like demons, it would make a great add.

It also supports my fave, Dagon’s Embrace. Primarily grey apes which have the best XP (16K) and a demon or three every other run or so. One quick run, court-mandated smoke break, repeat. Two or three runs with a zerker is level 10, easy. The three (?) chests don’t hurt either.

I do switch to the Shattered Springs when I run short of brimstone, but I never raise a weap, just use the pick and let the thrall handle the rest. The wood (for me) is meh since I use fish for oil.

As a thrall setup, gruel, Yog’s Touch, bulk plated heavy armor, The Nemedian. I have a set that I transfer to each leveling thrall. If I do not get what I want at level 10, they become base defense and get cheap/looted armor and usually truncheons or legendaries from the UC/3-skulls that do not fit my playstyle. Some perks make me sad and I take it out on the thrall (break bond).

Sounds like we run in the same circles, lol.

Regards

jim

If you check the official server settings under “Abandonment” you can see two different settings, one for building decay and one for thrall decay. The building decay setting is a multiplier which is normally set to 1 and refers to a factor of 168 hours under normal circumstances (336 hours for the summer vacations). The Thrall decay time is set to a specific number of days (normally 15).
The system works by resetting the thrall decay timer every time the player or a fellow clan member logs in to the server but only resetting the building decay timer when the player (or a fellow clan member) actually visits the building in question. This leads to the interesting situation of buildings decaying and leaving any guarding thralls behind (sometimes in mid-air). These “orphaned” thralls will persist in the world as long as any member of the originating clan logs into the server (resetting the thrall decay timer).

3 Likes

Thank you for the explanation; information I was not aware of. I don’t play officials, but checked single player seeing what you mean. Will verify online dedicated and make the change.

That’s the best explanation for floating thralls I have seen yet, something which confounds quite a few players.

I wonder if syncing the timers would eliminate the issue. Pondering …

Regards

jim

Edited PS: Change made, TYVM for the info, zwkdiv :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well here’s positive input.

Great work, thanks! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

4 Likes