Thralls and pets bugged after 1.40 update

There’s a difference between “feeding thrills is an unnecessary grind” and “All of my food should disappear overnight without warning and anything I give to my thrall should also just disappear.”

I. Read. All. Patch. Notes. For. PS4. Everyone I play with reads the patch notes. Nobody knew this was intentional, nor did anyone have a chance to “rescue” their food.

We’re talking literally thousands of food items. So, how does setting me back and imposing new limits on what thrills can carry help my grind? Serious question.

We just assumed you broke thrall inventories and, instead of fixing them, just did the lazy thing and removed their need to eat. The truth is honestly worse… “We intended to limit you. We intended to make in-game items you’ve used for years pointless. We intended to have all of your food disappear overnight. We intend for you to no longer be able to have thrills carry plant fiber or fish. Turns out all thrills are stupid gluttons who impulsively eat all food given to them in an instant in the Conan canon.”

Removing content is not a good face for a game. That’s not how it works. Rebalance, not remove. At least I know now I can stop renting a server. Thanks for making another Skyrim port.

3 Likes

Well the thralls only display an icon that the buff is active WHEN they are in combat as a fist on their health bar and ONLY IF they have been fed their preferred food item (ie the 25% buff). They do not display an icon if they have consumed a non-preferred food item (ie the 10% buff).
Tested on a Captain thrall today:
gave female Captain cooked exquisite meat - took into combat - no icon on health bar
gave female Captain Grilled Steak - took into combat - icon on health bar
Out of combat, no way to see that Captain was buffed.

I would also like to point out that this change has made it rather tedious to feed our thralls to buff them before combat and keep them buffed if on follow as if they are not in range of a thrall pot … as we have to split the stack of food until we have one piece and put that into their inventory. And then remember when an hour of real time has passed and split a stack again so we have one piece to put into the inventory to be consumed.
Before we could put a stack of food into their inventory and they would consume one piece on a timer that would refresh their buff … we would not have to micro-manage our inventory to keep them buffed and would not have to recheck that they had the buff during our gaming session.

It is also now impossible to keep our thralls/pets buffed if they are outside the range of a thrall pot/feed box as they will not hold stacks of food to refresh their buff by consuming one piece on a timer. I have a number of thralls & pets that are not within range of a pot/box. I used to stack their inventory with food and they’d consume as needed. Now this can not be done.

5 Likes

Your game is supposed to work properly and it is not!

But you prevent players tu use an advantage just because you did not expect people would do so…

Make your game work, let players workeround with food!

It was not cheat, it was game possibility, and you just spolied us that.

1 Like

When did the renew thrall/pet decay by proximity come into effect?
If it was back when the death by starvation was replaced by decay time several weeks ago then your team needs to look into it as I put a thrall well out of render distance on an official PvE PC server sometime in March or the early April and he was still alive yesterday. I put him on a rock at one of the sentinels and my base is at Narrowneck span.

Thank you very much for the response. However I do believe that there’s a misunderstanding of what the core issue is. The problem that myself and other players in some of the forms that were merged into this one big one is not that the thralls are eating the food and getting a buff, it’s that the food no matter how big the stack seems to Disappear Completely with no indication of where it went. Could you clarify if this is the intended effect?

1 Like

This is also happening to any lingering Essence has that I tried to give to my thralls as well. Is also an intended effect?

I understand that putting food in an animal will give it a 1h damage buff, that’s fine for predators, but my caravan elephant just consumed it’s weight in raw fish that isn’t something it even eats. Pets and thralls are now useless for food hunting or even gathering fish for oil. I wouldn’t mind my panther eating my fish and other meats but why is my Elephant eating them too? especially in rapid succession that it’s gone by the time I’ve gotten from the river to my home not a few feet away.
I could live without a buff on my animals if it meant keeping my meats.

4 Likes

This has pretty much made bearers and any of the pack animals completely useless for carrying anything remotely edible. It limits them to hauling gear, ores, and finished building parts since that’s about the only things they wont just gulp down mindlessly. Even rocknoses are scarfing down meats even though they’re supposed to eat only rocks and metals. Ironically they don’t seem to even think about eating the stone, crystal, or shade spiced iron ore I put in them as a test.

The reason all the food you give them disappears is because the feeding areas or their inventories linked to feeding them are not supposed to be used as additional inventory.

So… my bearer, and pack elephant aren’t supposed to be additional inventory? Well what the f**k are they for then?

Hey @Ignasi - that the Rocknoses are NOT eating their preferred food should be added to the investigation Funcom is doing on my report of plant fibre, vines and bark not being consumed by any pet - which is this thread (now closed):

ALSO I highly recommend that Funcom re-assesses the feeding changes
…it is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous that we can not use our thralls and pets to transport a wide variety of food items.
…It is TEDIOUS beyond belief to have to split a stack of food to ONE ITEM to give to a thrall/pet that we want to buff when we are entering combat with them IF they are out of reach of a thrall pot/feeding pot.
…Not being able to see that they have the 10% buff at all is not useful for us; that we have to wait until the thrall/pet IS IN COMBAT to see if they have or still have the 25% preferred combat buff is inconveient and annoying… we notice they don’t and we want them to have the boost then we have to run from the fight so they follow and enemy loses interest to be able to safely feed them.
…It is NOT LOGICAL that thralls and pets consume food out of pots/boxes about every 9-10 minutes to renew a ONE HOUR buff.
…It is a CONSTANT WORRY that we haven’t gotten close enough to our precious thralls and pets to renew their timer AND that we may not have stayed close enough to them for long enough for the game to recognise that we have visited personally with all our employees and pets to prompt the game to refresh their decay timer because we have NO WAY AT ALL to be able to tell HOW LONG THEY HAVE LEFT !!!

1 Like

My understanding was that it was linked to the building decay system, but not the same. As far as I have been able to tell. As long as you long into the server before the decay timer on your base runs out, all your thralls across the map are reset to the full timer regardless of your proximity.

I have not however tested this personally. But your comment peaks my interest. I’m going to build a little base and place a thrall somewhere and not visit it until the decay timer for that location runs out. After the building decays I will check on the thrall. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Hey @Kwalya

That is actually a pretty valid concern. We’re going to send note to our team to at least consider adding some way to be able to tell how much pets and thralls have left in their timers.

1 Like