Right, did some experimenting. Quite a few Relic Hunters volunteered to give their lives for science.
Test subject 1: Captain (Relic Hunter T4). Originally recruited with a spear-type weapon.
- Gave her a 1-handed sword. She wouldn’t even fight with it, just watched and danced around with the sword in hand while I was fighting against five Relic Hunter craftsmen. 1-handed sword and shield, and she fought using the first light or heavy attack, no combos.
- Gave her a Lemurian pike. She did combos like a pro.
- Gave her a 1-handed sword again. Nuh-uh, give me my pokey stick back.
- Gave her a two-handed sword. She did combos like she had been born with the weapon.
- Gave her the pike back, and she did well with the combos.
- Finally gave her the two-handed sword, tested one more time that she was happy with it, and went home.
Test subject 2: Red-shirted security officer (Relic Hunter Fighter III). Originally recruited with a cutlass.
- Let him keep his cutlass. He did his combos just fine (and with such a low-level weapon he took his sweet time showing off those combos while killing his ex-colleague).
- Took away his very own cutlass and replaced it with a Phoenix-engraved sword. Similar attacks, now with some extra cutting power.
It got pretty late so I called it a day at this point… although one (non-aggressive) Relic hunter wandered through my main gates after me, and my Captain and police officer showed surprising initiative, ganged up on the poor girl and chopped her into pieces on my main street. That’s what you get for entering my city without paying the gate toll and breaking curfew after sunset.
I will test some more weapon types tomorrow, but preliminary test results would indicate that a fighter thrall who used to wield a one-handed weapon still remembers those combos, and a fighter who used to like two-handed weapons is still vastly more competent with one than with a one-handed weapon.
To be tested: Red-shirt with sword and board; red-shirt with two-handed weapons; archer with various melee weapons.
Test platform: Single-player PC with latest patches and some cosmetic mods.