Truncheons kill instead of knocking out Named Thralls

I am finding that it is not just named but it seems all thralls are taking more damage than knock-out when using the Truncheons. I have not been able to get a thrall of any level knocked out and to the wheel without killing them first since this update.

I have seen people make this claim before and I just don’t see it. I have never killed a named thrall with a truncheon before. Not even the starter thralls with the starter truncheons. Yes, I have seen other people do it when they attack only using the light attack and when I advise them to only use the heavy attack they knock the thralls out every time without killing them. I just do not buy that there is actually a bug with the truncheon at all. I have been able to knock out plenty of T4 crafters and fighters in the “exiles” section using the “wood” starter truncheon on both modded and unmodded servers for years and even recently.

Then don’t comment on an issue you’re not experiencing.

As a level 28 player, using blunted javelins, 10 STR, no thralls, I was able to get a pre-patch Dalinsia (8K health) down to 60% health before I was able to KO her. No other weapons in play. That means I did approximately 3K in damage before knocking her out. That’s fishy as heck for a blunted weapon.

This issue started as of the recent followers patch. If you’re SURE that occured during that time, list what your STR was, what capture tools you were using, what thrall (if any) was assisting.

Contribute to the discussion, don’t just use anecdotal vague “it works for me” statements.

And check again, as a low level player using a wooden truncheon. I’ve encountered this very frequently, but mostly with the Exiles group (lowest health, starting area thralls). Darfari also sometimes die, but not the named ones. Mostly “Tanner I” or “Archer I” types. I’ve killed Ennika of Cimmeria and a couple of other of those newb river skull guys (have a capture rate of about 2 in 10).

So I had some time to sit down and test this. Seem there are multiple things going on that need to be addressed. First of which I will say the wood truncheon does not do enough concussive damage with light attacks to knock out an Exile Wandering spawn, It can be achieved by doing Heavy attacks with it but I still almost kills them. So for this spawn and any other in the same HP range they will likely die before being knocked out with the first Truncheon you get in game.

On to the second part of what is going on, the first perk in strength is currently not working as intended. This is probably a bigger issue as if this was working then you could easily KO the thrall mentioned above with any truncheon using light or heavy stricks.

Thuggery -Every blow you strike with a truncheon deals 100% more concussive damage.

I tested with Hosav’s UI mod which displays the damage numbers on screen. The concussive damage remains the same with or without the first perk in strength. I also had a friend test it in the dev kit through a print string to verify that it wasn’t a MOD error. The same issue is present in the dev kit.

I will also say that I see this post on a regular basis and test on a regular basis up until this time around I have found that the issues is fixed by the player resetting their server settings to default and I always recommend that prior to posting about the issue. (I say this for anyone that may be reading this thread in the future)

@Ignasi Can you forward this to the dev team plz, and thx.

6 Likes

If you bothered to read you would have noticed that I had. But then that would deflate you little ■■■■■ fest. I clearly stated using the starter “wood” truncheons. I never once stated using thralls to help because that was not the case. As for strength, generally speaking it is at 10, just enough for the first perk and that’s it.

I’m not experiencing it because it’s not an issue. It’s “user error”.

If you are using a wood truncheon since the latest patch, you would have killed any exile thrall you attempted to KO.

This is replicatable in any server environment. Not sure about solo. Even on Officials.

A couple of us are having the same issue, but to be transparent haven’t done a whole lot of testing. We play on modded servers but most recently on our private one. Killing named thralls with the basic wood truncheon at level 18 on a regular basis became a thing. I adjusted the settings on the server to help, but the damage to concussion ratio still seems to be off. Is it the ratio or is the truncheon being recognized as a weapon maybe?? IDK, but we seem to be doing more damage on the higher level thralls and it carries over to the regular truncheon, with or with out the blunted fitting.
I do not have the time nor am I methodical enough to map out and re-learn some of these step by step fighting recreations. I have a clicking pattern (right right left) and that’s as technical as my fighting style goes. I can’t give you all the technical details you prefer but I can support statements as several people on multiple servers have noticed something has changed.

To keep it simple, I didn’t used to kill thralls when I went out trying to “recruit” them to my camp. Occasionally (RARELY) it would happen, but typically the only one dying was me. Repeatedly. Now, I am one BA chick-a-dee killing things left and right with the 2 lowest level truncheons and adding a blunted fitting doesn’t make much of a difference. They upper level thralls still die.

I have had many of these named thralls come live at my base through the years. I had several at my base just a couple of months ago. Now (as in the last couple of weeks) they die when I try to bring them home. I tried sending my base mate out and he killed more than I did. I have 900+ hours in the game, he has about 42. Something has changed and if I’m doing something wrong, please tell me because right now our camp is filled with level 1-2 thralls who die from animals super easy but can take a beating.

@Oduda: If you are not experiencing it then you are welcome to come try it out on any of the servers my friend and I play on. I realize you may not be experiencing it but many of us are hence the thread. The fact it can be replicated means that there IS an issue.

I guess I don’t understand the “user error” comment. We are killing tier 3 & named thralls at the black hand camps with a wood truncheon wearing light armor, and a basic shield, and this was before reaching level 20. Meanwhile, a couple of the tier 1 & 2 thralls get knocked out just fine. I just don’t understand where someone could screw this up. Can you explain what my friend and I could be doing different to not kill the thralls and we’ll give it a try?

Tier 1-3 and T4 named are taking damage when hit with a truncheon be it the wood, iron, steel or hardened steel. I have tried all of the above and they take damage and the majority of the time die rather than be knocked out. Neither I nor my follower (which was nerfed in this patch) have or are using any weapons just the truncheons. This would not be a user error, this is a bug. Truncheons are supposed to knock them out not kill them.

From what I can tell in the DevKit the truncheons seem ok stats-wise. They do have normal damage and concussive damage. The problem might be in the thralls instead as in health / concussive “health” ratio. I couldn’t find where these stats are stored exactly (it might be a combination of tables).

1 Like

I just made a fresh character on a server that whipped 2 days ago and does not use any mods. At exactly level 20 with only 10 points in strength I was able to knock out Ulrik the Beast without killing him. I did notice that his HP regenerated much faster than his concussive bar so while I needed to kite him at times his HP bar was going up and his concussive bar really wasn’t moving. This did seem to help me take him down easily without risk killing him. I only spent 10 points in encumbrance and 10 in strength and left the rest unspent. The rest of the points I have are from my armor. This way my results would be fairly pure. Though the fight was much harder this way too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe it is just due to the fact that the thralls hit points have been nerfed so much, that the ratio of lethal damage to concussive damage on all truncheons is now out of sync with thrall health? :thinking:

3 Likes

Started a fresh playthrough and I could reproduce the issue again. Low level Truncheons are killing named Thralls.

:+1: we did the same this afternoon to catch a low level named thrall at noobs river. Clearly it is using a bug as a workaround to unbalanced nerfing (concussive points should be coherent with HP).

It is adapting to the current situation.

The rest of this is not geared towards Ceramix just a general post to the thread as a whole.

Now, I have never suggested that Funcom should not continue to look into the underlying situation causing these thralls to get their butts kicked by truncheons. However, if you see their HP getting low and you continue to bash them over the head anyway that’s entire on you as the player for killing them
 That is where my comment on user error comes from. Simple solution, if they are getting low kite them around and let their HP build back up. Their concussive bar generally won’t move so you can start bashing them down again. Rinse and repeat until you have a knocked out T4 thrall on the ground who is very much alive.

Once you have access to this item I HIGHLY suggest getting this. I find you miss far less often that you do with the truncheon anyway and are able to get 2-3 sets of combos off in a row basically locking the target from doing anything at all. Combine it with a shield and they are screwed. I really don’t use anything else once I have access to the blunted javelin except perhaps the one from the wine cellar if you are willing to farm for it. Which you can do fairly easily around level 25-30.

1 Like

I’ll try resetting everything to default. I know (I’m Lv 60) that I have many L4 thralls and I used a variety of truncheons and have never had trouble with accidentally killing ANY of them. Something IS different now. I’ll try restoring defaults. This topic has been raised MANY times and it seems like something could be cleaned up in an update.
~Tim

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.