I like this approach @Wak4863
Maybe that’s what Funcom is hoping the roll will be used for in future. It does make more sense, realistically thinking.
I could be mistaken but i believe it was also in the patch notes that when you dodge, your armor is doubled . . . or something like that. Which i think is a good idea. I realize this is separate from what you are talking about but it’s somewhat related and worth mentioning.
Yes, i would have to agree, this is what bugs me the most about the movement changes. I feel sluggish. Maybe it could be toned back a bit.
The real question is - will it solve the problem of lights being able to too easily disengage from combat? Will it move the pvp meta away from light armour?
Time and experience will tell, but the combination of weaker dodge roll and the delay before your character gets to full speed does make disengaging harder. Even after you recover from the roll it’ll still take some time before you start running, so a swift opponent who can react to your dodge quickly enough can follow up and whack you before you can get away. Maybe.
As I described above, fighting NPCs used to be easy because even if you ran out of stamina while dodging, you could just walk around the enemy until your stamina recovered and then get back to fighting. Now you start walking slower, which gives the opponent an opportunity to close in again.
I was still able to disengage from NPCs, but those are mostly idiots, anyway. A real player might be harder to shake.
On the topic of being harder or easier to chase with weapons, even npc archers can easly disengage someone with a two handed sword. The same with the two handed axe heavy attack try to hit a gorilla while it goes on its pound chest taunt.
This suggests the weapon reach is too short. This might still be a problem to make it too easy to disengage from melee. Aside from ninja dodges we had originally.
After checking testlive and going back to live on xbox, clearly the old dodge is too fast/unrealistic.
Now you can use heavy armor and not have to tank all attacks, the dodge is useful even on heavy armor.
My only criticism on the dodge animations is it’s literaly a roll. The idea of dodging is not rolling on the ground but jumping to the side and recovering rolling. Rolling on the ground in front of someone with a spear will most likely get you killee. See ESO or GW2 dodge for examples.
New momentum system / dodge roll seems like a very reasonable course to me,
Before momentum system I was able to exploit unwielding melee weapons and move away quickly Instead of dodge with no stamina cost to avoid getting hit, but with the slowed initial move speed such exploit has practically lost its purpose.
I think it is a realistic and balanced change to pvp aspect.
Complete damage negation during roll makes dodges more viable,
And shortened dodge distance makes it easier to close in distance to melee attack your enemies.
The dodge animations look authentic, too.
One thing I’m Concerned about is having the same exact roll/dodge on every armor set, Putting light or medium armor at more disadvantages of lower armor points.
Not sure if it is subject to change but I’d be glad to see ways to compensate for equipping them
I.E increased roll distance / invincibility frame time to get away from AOE attacks.
From a realistic point of view, the business end of any weapon will move faster than the human body because that’s how a lever works. So dodging will always be a bad, desperate way of trying not to get hit. Pretty much every real-world martial art teaches to put something between you and the weapon coming at you. Shields are very good at this, and your own weapons can be used for blocking and parrying attacks, too. If all else fails, using one of your less vital body parts rather than taking it to your head or chest may keep you alive a little longer.
Unfortunately, the way the game engine of Conan Exiles is built makes it unlikely that we’ll ever get proper parrying in the game, so I’ll just take a dodge that works gameplay-wise even if it looks and feels silly from a real combat perspective.