Unanswered questions regarding merger

Fair enough.

Why would you put personal information into an online game?

It reminds me of a data set that was apart of a Minecraft RP server. In that server there was a file that stored all of the custom notes written in books. The owner of the server trusted me to have the file since I needed to make some transfers to a new map (my faction had one of the largest libraries). But it was contigent on me not giving that file to no one else (I deleted it after retrieving the needed information).

It was warned that there was quite a bit of craziness in there. That was an understatement. People had written pretty racy love letters and other craziness. I wouldn’t be surprised if people do similar things in a conan server. Guild MOTDs, Signs, Chest Names, and other stuff will all be in the DB file.

Thinking over it, there could even be personal information in a Guild MOTD in guilds meant to just be among friends. How is Funcom supposed to filter all that out when there could be literally hundreds of guilds per server, and thousands of signs?

Signs are also placeables, which means their data doesn’t disappear with losing stability. For example, when we had to remove a mod temporarily on one of the private servers I play on, the placeables in the mod disappeared. When the mod was readded, all that reappeared as if they were always there. That data remained in the database.

There is literally over 4 years worth of stuff on these databases. With hundreds of players per server.

And guess what? This data can be curated by bad actors with SQL commands.

Sorry people, but they are not giving this out to you all. Its a dead issue, let it go. Stop trying to make excuses and such on why they should. When your server is done being merged, that data is destroyed and gone. Say good bye to it.

1 Like

i have played for years now, the only way to be unique building wise is to use exploits. so having those players outed would be a good thing.

Offline raids are not hard and need great strategy. Just be on when yhey aint.

1 Like

Didnt realize you spoke for Funcom on such issues. Good to know for future discussions!

Still a very stupid idea to put personal information in a game, as you pointed out, when you had access to it, you read it. Guess that means Funcom has ready everything too
yet people either dont realize that or they dont care. Since that information is already seen by people it cant be that bad
sooo again, its a weak argument. Its not my fault someone put their cell phone number and a racy picture online.

1 Like

I don’t think think finding illogical hyper-exceptional cracks in other people’s statements just in order to make inept unreasonable comments furthers the discussion in any constructive way. Far fetched exceptions aren’t usually useful to base broad rebuttals on. Most of us know what information companies like Funcom or even Facebook have on us and what under current circumstances, they’re likely to do with it. That’s quite different than what some unknown malicious or malign individual might do!

Except there are privacy laws that prevent them from doing that as a corporation. Remember when you had to click that accept button on every website a while back? That’s one of them.

Then there’s the one in the US that prevents information on minors being shared. Just so you know, minors do play this game, nothing (in the US) prevents them from purchasing games like CE on Steam.

This really is a dead issue dude. You can ask all you want for those databases, but they’re gone. I’ll bet you money on it that you won’t get them.

And you miss the point of the op. They wandered why they nwver got an anwer.

And FYI, private owners have access to the db on pc. Not one private server has given a EULA for that.

I know, because Sony blocks that access. I tried to get the db when i was a spny player and server owner.

1 Like

We’re not corporations either.

Funcom doesn’t typically answer questions with uber-obvious answers! He was answered by people who realized the uber-obviousness of the question and had the good will and patience to do so.

And you cant guarantee that no gaming company employee would ever do anything evil with it, just like I cant say the same about the general population.

“I dont want my building techniques discovered” isnt an answer.

Wait, so youre saying it would be illegal, or against the law to unlawfully use or share such data?.. by anyone?

Whats being overlooked by you is that I explained exactly how another gaming company with a similar survival type game as Conan already did this, and there was nothing wrong with it. No backlash that I seen., nothing ever made the news about it. So how could Wildcard do it, but Funcom cant?

Maybe. But, if you’ve read anything in this thread, I was looking for an answer from Funcom, not forum users. It is possible to do what I asked, and the only good argument that came against was that people didnt want their builds discovered. Your argument doesnt hold much weight because at some point, YOU are responsible for what you put online. Ill agree that people should never personally attack or harass people, but dont dangle it out there tempting people to do it.

That wasn’t the answer
 I guess you skipped over half the thread replies? That’s the answer you nit-picked out in order to make senseless rebuttals and lengthen the discussion (for attention?).

I’ve stated a few times who it would be illegal by, but sure if you want to believe that go for it.

In my country, those under a certain age are not considered responsible. Just how it is.

But corporations knowingly allow this. Hiw many people actually know that private owners have access to the db? And since FC seems to chamion privates, they should, not have to, be open about that. But that is side bar stuff. We are talking about gett8ng a straight yes or no on this thread, and even others. And yet here we are bashing at each other as FC sits on the sidelines knowing the answer they have.

2 Likes

WAY more than likely it’s not even a question for them - so why would they have an answer?

I suppose next someone will want to know if Conan himself will appear in everyone’s base and then morph into a butterfly :butterfly: disappear is a puff of magic smoke and wipe the game and all it’s data from the face of the planet simultaneously?

I betcha anything FC won’t be answering that one either. :smiley:

Do they need to answer every question asked in the forums themselves? I would say the answers given in the thread suffice. There is ethical, moral, and legal concerns. Do you really need Funcom to spell that out?

I mean if you all really need a definitive official answer, why ask a lawyer instead? They’ll be able to give an answer in more detail than FC can. I mean if the truth is what you seek, then why not go for the full truth?

1 Like

It would be good to hear this from FC too. This used to be a philosophical/academic debate, and I was opposed to it. Now that it’s about keeping the torch lit, I’m amenable to it.

Any server Admin who purports the DBs are gone is either lying or not a very good Admin. I would not play there. When I Admin, I keep a rotating stack of DBs, downloaded locally through cron. Not Crom. He shrugs at Admins who don’t keep backups.

2 Likes

erjoh

18d

The only thing that would have issue with is build styles and defensive structure strategies could be dissected. If for instance, you have my base in your single player game, you could deconstruct, bit by bit, to glean how I build and what to look at when you see my bases when you are playing on the same server. Many people (including myself) will use similar strategies they have built (and mastered?..don’t know because I haven’t been raided much anymore thanks to the success of stealth builds and decoys) . You would have basically the blueprints of the castle and so any future castle that uses similar structures would be a liability at that point.

(Edit, the link didnt work quite right, but the reply above is taken from the thread on the official servers being trimmed) This was the only answer in the official thread. The other answer was brought up in this thread about personal information. I didnt skip over anything, nor cherry pick a specific answer.

I guess you, like Taemien, speak on behalf of Funcom. I will remember to direct questions about the game to the two of you in the future when Id like official replies. And, to contradict exactly what you said, why did Dana answer a question of how this affected private servers when it was official servers going down? “uber-obvious answer” for those that didnt realize the “uber-obvisouness” of their question.

2 Likes

Then would you care to explain how other game studios can do it, yet Funcom cant? I can bet you every game maker out there has the terms and conditions we all agree to to play. Id be interested to know.

Betting those under a certain age likely shouldnt be playing an adult game featuring nudity and slavery without their parent or guardians permission too, but hey, I could be wrong on that. Maybe that is allowed.