Update Destroys fighting system

I just didn’t find anything wrong with toggling unweild, but I would be fine with that, too. Personally, if I had to replace it, I’d like a ‘cancel attack’ option for 3 reasons.

1. Plain and simple, it would let fights be fluid again by granting a degree of control back to you.
  2. It’s a quality of life way of avoiding an unintended attack chain. Like let’s say I only want to do 2 hits, but because I clicked one time too many, I’m going to end up doing three hits.
  3. Having the ability to do a ‘false’ attack introduces feints back into the game, and having the ability to feint is very important in pvp. PvE, not so much. PvE is more about baiting.

The difference between this ‘cancel attack’ and the old unwield would be just that: you never let go of the weapon, you can’t weapon switch, and presumably, there’d be some kind of transition forced on you to go from pre, mid or post attack and into the ‘canceled’ state.

I’d prefer they fx look at recovery times.

It kind of would be just as logic to learn to not do one press too many, instead of having to do one more extra press. I guess I understand your point, but it also just seem weird to add a function just because people can’t control their spam clicks.

I agree feints would be cool. But imo it should be a separate action, so either you select to attack or you select feint. It shouldn’t be a “oh I’m going to miss, so let me just feint instead” or “oh I was going to feint, but I can see I will hit so let me finish the attack”…

2 Likes

I would, too. I’ve been complaining about it since the day the patch went out.

“Breaks on a car? That’s silly, just don’t go too fast.”

No, I don’t agree. If it’s a reasonable degree of control over your character, it makes more sense to have it than not to have it.

There’s plenty of situations where you may want to undo an attack you started. Obviously, feints are one, but avoiding attacking allies, friendly thralls, or even a t4 you want to capture are also legitimate reasons. And don’t say dodge rolls. Slamming the breaks should not necessitate an entire dodge roll, that’s an excessive reaction. Like I’ve said before, there needs to be a middle ground, or a ‘soft’ out as opposed to the dodge roll’s ‘hard’ out.

I think that would be overcomplicating it. Ultimately, combat options should be simple, intuitive and easy to use, or they will just add to clunk.

Canceling your attack equates to selecting to feint, since you won’t be able to resume the attack afterward. It makes sense to go from Attack → Feint, but not Feint → Attack. So, you can boil it down to the same attack-cancel mechanic.

Just impose restrictions and maybe an ‘exiting attack’ animation, and make sure it can’t deal damage once it has been canceled, but similarly can’t be stopped if the weapon is already in motion unless it’s a very light weapon like… daggers, maybe.

All attacks would have ‘cancel’ windows, either very early into the attack, or after the attack has finished but before the next attack has started, canceling any new attacks you had queued up.

The early cancel window would also ensure you can’t have a situation of the ghost of your attack still hitting and hurting someone, which is a complaint I have seen on here but never actually experienced in-game… Seems really rare to me, but I can see how it would be possible with a really bad connection.

I don’t agree completely but I overall like your ideas. Nice to see someone put some thoughts in to it instead of just “Revert unequip cancel! everyone who disagree is casual thrash”.

2 Likes

vry funny… unable to adapt to horses… and now… how funny…

It’s not about adaptation.
We adapt everytime because we must do it.
But it doesn’t mean that the game is fun, joyable or balanced…

When horses came, they were(and still are) stronger than anything else, they became the meta.
And let’s be honest. You don’t need much skill to fight on horseback.
Because of this, people created a lot of private servers with no-horse rules, to let people use/improve their pvp skills.

So, it’s not about adaptation… It’s all about balacing the game and letting skill to be a decisive factor.

1 Like

it also ruins farming

About the farming since 2.4 - Conan Exiles / General Discussion - Funcom Forums

From what I’ve seen you people talk about, it’s not like the removal of the animation cancelling will make the game easier for the less skilled players. So it doesn’t seem like this whole kerfuffle is really about the skill factor.

If we filter out all the toxic crap – the name-calling, the posturing, the “you’re an exploiter” mud-slinging, the accusations against PVP or PVE players, the e-peen comparisons – what it seems to boil down to is that the combat is just not fun for people anymore.

I can’t really weigh in on that, because I never used any form of animation cancelling except dodge rolls, but at least seems like an honest, reasonable complaint.

2 Likes

This in a nutshell. The “skilled” hate that the “noobs” have a fair playing field. I would submit that this is actually balance, and just because someone is new and has not played the game since January 2017, they should not be at a disadvantage.
I have seen so many “The noobs can kill me now” posts it makes me laugh.

5 Likes

-_- so you are saying someone that has played practice fought many battles have experience on their side should be match by a noob bashing buttons ? make absolutely no sense , nothing in life works this way , but then again most of you comments are not helpful , just saying !

ok.
I’m gonna start playing LoL now and i want to participate in the world tournament.
So Riot games need to make a character that I just need to press a button and kill anyone, even without knowing what i’m doing.

every game has to have it’s reward… if you spend 10.000 hours playing a game, you must be better than someone who just started or have 500 hours or so.
If you play darksouls for a long time, you will be able to complete the game easier and faster than someone who just started playing.

If you start playing Counter strike today, you won’t be able to kill players who have more skill.
If you start playing mortal kombat or street fighter, you are gonna loose by perfect for a skilled veteran player.

Skillplay is something that makes players keeping playing the game. to get better on it, to play better, to win enemies.
When you remove this from a game, you remove the reward feeling.
Funcom has being removing this along the time.

When the meta was Spear n roll (2018) you were able to take down groups of less skilled players, then they nerfed spear, roll and everything else… ok, i think the game must have all weapons and combat styles balanced.

But instead of balancing the combat styles, they buffed one of them to the sky.

First it was Jhebbal sag claw + animation bug, then it was the bow + accuracy 40 (coincidentally fixed when dlc poitan was launched which had accuracy armor), Then the horses… and in the middle of this there was Yog’s touch that didn’t make any sense by the balacing point … (an axe with 40% penetration, while all other had 0% and hyper armor).

Please read what you’ve wrote. it makes no sense… i believe you are joking or being sarcastic… dunno.

1 Like

@Punisher111
And you are not “bashing buttons”?
The majority of “new” players have played MMOs and sandbox games before. They are not novices in PVP. This is not “life” but an online game, welcome to the “real” world of Multi player PVP.

1 Like

I’m going to reiterate the point made here.

In Planetside 2, it is not uncommon for a new player of under Battle Rank 10 to be able to kill those who have been playing since Beta in 2012. The advantage enjoyed by older veteran players comes in the fact they know the maps, the bases, the interactions between weapon types and a heighten sense of situational awareness.

For everytime a 10> BR player kills a veteran player, they are dying dozens of times.

The same is happening in Conan Exiles. Well… not really since a level 10 newbie has no chance against a veteran 60 even post combat changes. But lets take the progression system out for the sake of argument (this benefits the position of the ones defending the old fighting system, I’m not being disingenuous here).

A veteran player still knows the maps. They still know the weaknesses and strengths of all the weapons being used. They know when they need to block, when they need to dodge, and when there is a window to heal that a newbie simply will have no understanding of.

In this theoretical situation of a newbie given a 60 character and equipment to go with it, can he kill a veteran player? Sure… he -can-. But they are likely going to die a dozen times for every victory.

By the way, Planetside 2 is a much better comparison than Counter Strike or Mortal Kombat. As neither of those two games have open world PVP. PS2 does.

Apparently all you need in PvP is button-smashing and no skill is needed, so a newbie should have a 50-50 chance against a veteran player.

Of course, this has been the case since Early Access. The meta has changed many times, but the “PvP requires no skill now” argument seems to be here to stay.

On a more serious note: I find it amazing how easily people dismiss the impact of knowledge and experience in games. Me, I would always be more afraid of a smart opponent than a strong or fast one.

1 Like

In the same way that you discredited my comparisons, this game that you referred to is a Shooter.
Shooter games share mechanics with each other (for example: someone who is very good at counter strike, consequently will have some advantage when starting to play Battlefield).

Conan exiles has nothing to do with this game. And yet, in the old combat system of Conan exiles, it was still possible for a newbie to defeat a veteran with almost a 50% chance when fights were fought on horseback.

I really don’t understand this speech about the game being so easy and without mechanics that even a noob should defeat a veteran with equal chances.

Although knowledge of the map, resources and etc. are really very important in conan, PvP is just as important.

If you are fighting for survival on a server, no matter how knowledgeable about the map and resources you have, if there are enemies hanging around with weapons, you will have to fight several times …
Either to be able to farm some resource, or to defend your base, or to attack the enemy’s base …

Let’s agree. Imagine yourself with your clan of experienced players with their 2,000 ~ 10,000 hours of game losing one or more fights for players who started the game less than 300 hours ago.

Basic knowledge of what weapons to make, what armor to use and where to get basic resources for this has a lot on youtube. Just one of the players of this novice clan has access to this information and their pvp will already be on an equal footing, because PvP definitely does not require any more skills.

2 Likes

So for the last three days you’ve been getting ganked by sub 10 hour players on a regular basis? Is that what you are telling me?

I don’t believe that. The community doesn’t believe that. And I’d even go so far as to say you don’t even believe its happening, or that it will happen.

No. this is not happening, nor is it going to happen because most of the servers are empty.

And in fact, almost no new players joins. The expansion of Siptah was a failure.

I really wanted this game to reach Ark’s success.
By the way, I think Ark is far inferior in many ways compared to Conan (setting, building system, map, graphics). but I think that Funcom devs makes a lot of bad choices.

Is that why the peak player count was 16,000 over 12,000 prior to 2.4?

Try again.

1 Like

it was already empty =)
i’m not saying it’s emptying.

If the recent additions to the game were good and popular, they might have brought former players back.
If this expansion were interesting, it would bring in new players and so on.

Anyway, I didn’t see this increase in players that you reported there.
Through the steamcharts I see that it remains the same before and after 2.4

3 Likes

@Taemien players generally come back to check major updates is not how many come back but how many stay ! That trend is common in most game !

But really the combat is just not working, if you think it is you either don’t fight enough or you are mad all together

2 Likes