What is PVP in 2020

There’s been nothing but non-stop complaining about Horse + Greater Saber for months now. I have yet to see an argument for why the new meta is good, only that it must be endured. There’s absolutely no way that something isn’t going to get nerfed and you know how heavy Funcom is with the nerf hammer.

Therein lies the problem. It’s pretty much been nothing but “Horsecat is so OP! I just got killed by a group of seventeen horsecat riders in super epic godbreaker armor using soul sucking heat seeking explosive lances with chainsaw bayonets while I was picking up sticks all alone in the middle of a big flat open area wearing nothing but rags! Why hasn’t horsecat been nerfed into complete oblivion yet?!?! It’s so obvious that I would have easily won if they weren’t riding those OP horsecats!”

Unfortunately that sort of thing is pretty typical of PvP complaints in general, which is why PvP can be difficult to balance properly. Not that PvE doesn’t face similar issues mind you. Just makes it harder to find out how or even if something is actually OP or if it’s nothing more than a bunch of people complaining because they don’t want to adapt.

:eyes: oooo… I want one!! :eyes:

I agree. There’s been a lot of whining but there’s been a lot of honest analysis as well. I don’t PvP much in this game but I PvP’d heavily for about four years in Cyrodiil, so it’s not like I’m some PvE’r that knows nothing about PvP.

Balance problems are usually pretty obvious because “everyone” starts rolling with the same build. Also, it’s usually really easy to explain why the unbalanced build is unbalanced.

I think it’s very telling that the default play strategy for Siptah seems to be to naked farm the fixed spawn point for Saber Cubs as soon as you’re able to throw down an animal pen.

1 Like

It was like adding a tank to a fistfight, of course there are ways to face horses: terrain advantages, palizades, etc but this moves the focus away from the core of the game itself.
Obviously I over-simplified the argument, but there is a reason why today soldiers uses guns and not swords anymore: once you throw the “progress” in the field it’s hard not to relate to.
And if only one player uses this “advanced mechanic” (cavalry) it is no longer barbarian ages but dark ages.
Again, the issue is more complicated than this, but I suppose I managed to make myself clear.

What is PVP in 2020? Based on what I’ve seen on the forums:

Players Versus Publisher.

6 Likes

Pretty simple make horses a way of transportation only. Who cares that PvE player want to kill their shellback using their horse. And when I said people don’t respect 1v1 I’m talking about straight up organize arena fight. And if you as a person can’t respect the fact that 2 individual are having a friendly 1v1 than your just the worst kind. When raiding farming dungeon and getting jump by 6 people that’s totally fair, thats how the game is suppose to be. But if y’all being playing Conan since it came out you would totally understand what organise 1v1 we’re back than. Now it’s just a question of when their friend are gonna jump in the arena kill you and tbag you. But anyway i just went back to for honor and dark souls…

Not only have I been playing CE since it started Early Access, but I’ve been playing in PVP games for 25 years. Let me tell you, someone ‘dueling’ is a loot piñata. Nothing more.

One thing I’ve found in 3 decades of playing online, is people will use honor to justify some pretty underhanded shtuff. When I played MW3 (the real one) in 1999 the ‘honorable’ way to play was to not shoot the leg of an opponents mech. The idea was you only needed to destroy one leg to destroy the enemy mech and it would be an unglorified duel for someone to simply fall over to concentrated fire.

Using the different HTAL displays I was able to see how much armor people were using in each location (usually people used the wireframe which doesn’t show armor ratio, just damage condition). These people clamoring the most about no legging were not running armor in the legs.

That’s right, they exploited the very honor they espoused. They were saving up to two tons for heatsinks, weapons, and equipment by weakening their legs, knowing no one would shoot them.

I ordered my unit to start forgoing the honor rule in open games and league matches. There was complaint, there was drama, but these bastards began to rearmor their legs. The rule also didn’t survive to MW4 nor made it into MWLL or MWO.

So forgive me if I don’t have respect for little honor rules. Having played on Rallos Zek and Sullon Zek in Everquest, and early Pre-BG PVP in WoW, the term Red Equals Dead… applies. If that isn’t something you like, well what are you going to do about it?

PVP, true PVP is being able to enforce the rules you want. If you want your little honor duels, then back it up with consequences. There’s more respect involved with that, or at least trying, rather than silly words trying to call to our so called ‘gentlemenly’ side. In my last job, the only gentlemen were those with commissions, the rest of us actually worked for a living.

Um, tens of thousands of players who aren’t you.

I could just as easily say PvP should be removed entirely to solve some griefing problems because “who cares that some PvP player wants to have an arena fight.”

1 Like

A guess you have been living under a rock. xD it’s been a long time since Conan hasn’t had any player base never mind tens of thousands

Let me ask this question. How many (give me an actual number, not a personal attack) players does a game need to have in order to have a ‘playerbase’?

1 Like

Okay, he was an order of magnitude off, fair enough. Does it really change what he said? Is it that much different if we’re talking about thousands instead of tens of thousands of PVE players who you dismissed as unimportant?

1 Like

By the way, I was thinking in the broader sense. The ten thousand playing this month isn’t all the same ten thousand as last month. To put it another way, you could have for example a hundred thousand players who play the game, but at any given time there’s only ten thousand actively playing.

2 Likes

Enought to have a sustainable business according to expense created to maintain the game/innovating. A guess. Each game as its own number buddy. That’s a question you gotta ask funcom not me. I’m looking at empty server and it truly make me sad

I know glurin but when you go out of you way to @ me just to start an argument you have to expect an answer back. I know what I said wasn’t right but when you have 23 different people commenting on your post attacking you because they all seems to had a bad day it’s hard to be nice

1 Like

Code you PvE that cool. What will the fact that you can’t uses weapon on horse change to your playstyle. Will ruin the game for you? Or have near no impact on it. Be honest, no need to tell me as long as inside your heart you know what would be right.

No, I playe PVE-C, so this whole horse+cat meta actually affects me. And I generally don’t use my horse to fight PVE battles, unless I’m really bored.

None of that is the point. I’m not defending horse, cat, lance or any of that crap. I just hate it when people go “pffff, nobody gives a crap about <some group of players author doesn’t belong to>”.

Yeah, horse+cat meta sucks. I think it should be changed. But that has nothing to do with PVE players wanting to kill shalebacks while riding a horse. That’s just a straw man fallacy.

3 Likes

Your right. The words I use to expressed my frustration were completely wrong. Do I regret saying it, yess. But what I’ve been said is said and there’s no going back. All I can do is apologize for saying what I said. But still strongly stand by my point that horse should only be a way of transportation. Or created a good counter to them. One of the two would be a great fix.

3 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly. The two biggest problems I’ve seen with PVP combat are the horses and the followers.

When Siptah came out, one of the changes they made to mounted combat – without including it in patch notes, as far as I can tell – was to give light attacks a hefty cooldown. I’m guessing that was their attempt to improve mounted combat balance; since there’s no stamina to limit your attacks, I guess the idea was to use the cooldown to limit them. And I’m guessing that they chose the light attack because that’s the one attack that hits more targets without having to aim carefully.

Now, that’s not a bad idea per se, but it ignores the elephant in the room, which is the lance. Of all the PVPers on any server I play on, I’ve yet to see one use anything else except the lance when they’re on horseback. If you’re mounted, they’ll try to use the lance to unhorse you and then either finish you off with the lance or with their follower, preferably a cat, because they can pounce and knock you down.

And that’s also why I think it wouldn’t be enough to simply implement a counter that you can use, on foot, to unhorse someone. This whole business with followers is throwing a spanner into the works.

I don’t play on PVP servers, only PVE-C, so I can’t speak about raids from firsthand experience, but I can see why having thralls guard your base from raids is desirable. I do play the PVE side of things, so I can see from firsthand experience why having a follower help you fight your PVE battles is desirable.

The problem, as I see it, is having a follower help you fight your PVP battles, and it’s exacerbated when you bring mounts into picture. If you’re on foot, you’ll be constantly harassed by the rider’s follower. You can sic your own follower on the rider, but it’s trivial for them to go out of your follower’s aggro range and get back to attacking you; it’s much harder for you to do the same, because you’re on foot.

What’s the solution? Beats me. And, to be honest, I don’t really care that much anymore. I like having a good reason to attack other people. The way things are, I can’t do that, because it’s impossible to know from far enough who the other player is and I refuse to attack indiscriminately. So right now, my “PVP” is to get attacked first, which surrenders the initiative. And surrendering the initiative is a pretty big handicap given the current meta, so I’ll usually either die or run away :stuck_out_tongue:

Play on the several thousand that aren’t empty then. Its not like you can’t get all your stuff back in a week in this game if you have to restart somewhere.