What is with this game and BDSM armor?

Lot of assumptions there Jabba, not much fact.

Quote directly from one of the stories, a literally copy and paste:

Sancha, once of Kordava, yawned daintily, stretched her supple limbs
luxuriously, and composed herself more comfortably on the ermine-
fringed silk spread on the carrack’s poop-deck. That the crew watched
her with burning interest from waist and forecastle, she was lazily
aware, just as she was also aware that her short silk kirtle veiled
little of her voluptuous contours from their eager eyes.

This is the theme of which this game is based upon. A story written in 1933. Literally anyone having issue here is 85 years behind the culture. Which is why the OP is getting so badly ridiculed. Their tastes are literally antebellum or postbellum at best.

Its the 21st Century, not 19th.

10 Likes

There are plenty of armour pieces to choose from that are perfectly modest for the genre - but the issue is that not all the armour is practical - conclusion is either that this is naive ignorance of the fantasy barbarian genre or a more cynical moral crusade.

Either way, the fact remains that there are plenty of armour pieces that do cover up, so surely this means we can all be happy, yes?

4 Likes

Dude man, just wear what I wear over my package. Flawless Hyrkanian Epics. They’re like bluejeans. Put standard epic flawless heavy with it and it looks pretty good.

95% fetish? The Booj looks like my old night nurse’s frock, not revealing. Defaults are modest cloth sacks, T1 is perfectly cool, almost cutesy. Have you seen the Lemurian gown? Holy Liberace. Khitan stuff is pretty tame too. Pirate garb, nice, like a football costume. I just don’t see it.

8 Likes

Some great posts in here. This was a wild and brutal period time. Going to post a couple of sources for OP/Others to do your own research.

1st: This is an excellent read…
Basically this combines the ‘Earth History’ of the fantasy (or could be actually something) Tolkien and Howard (and to some extents Greenwood as well in here).

From the First to the Hyborian Age: a combined Tolkien/Robert E. Howard timeline
http://grimfinger.net/Timeline.html

2nd: Look up Frank Franzetta
If you look at the pics you can clearly see that Conan in CE is really similar in the face but smaller body. The paintings are very Hyborian Age High Fantasy and are a direct parallel to the books/stories.

3rd: Look up Les Edwards
This is also very relavent but leans a little closer to Tolkien/Greenwood than Hyborian. However, the Hyborian Age did have Neanderthal like people (race?) that were easily related to Tolkien Ork (which are tormented and twisted First Born (Elf) and Human).

Lastly, Conan and the Hyborian Age was never really meant for younger people but I ate these stories up because of the adventure and completely openness regarding ■■■. It is refreshing and great story telling. Ancient empires commonly had little clothing since most of the world’s people lived in hot or warm climates. Even the ‘Nords’ and ‘Rus’ (<= which were originally Baltic Nords) wore soft fur in the cold outside and thick wools inside. In the summer months ‘sandals’ and topless skirts were common when working. When going to market or town…add the blouse (male maybe, female usually). There was little modesty then.

Heck, even go into some smaller places in Scotland and Northern Ireland today and see what lack of modesty is like (one you have earned the right to Be Invited To The Friendship). And today just open the eyes and see that ‘Body Rings’ are once again popular…nipple…and many other places…Male and Female.

Funcom has done great work with the clothing and leathers. 80% of them are very clean. The other 20% simply fall right in line with Hyborian Age mentality. And only 1 comes close to any sort of BDSM similarity…and that one is directly related to Derketo the Goddess of Death and ■■■. Again…perfectly in line.

Like others said…if you think Medium Leathers are too ‘showy’ then you maybe should play a game based on the Puritans. Ohhh but that would be no fun and too strict! Right. :wink::zipper_mouth_face:

11 Likes

I don’t see anything “BDSM” related as you put it. If BDSM is the first thing that came into you mind then one has to wonder what led you to make this post.

7 Likes

If what the OP calls the “BDSM” nature of the armors is the thing that most triggers their backwards conservative values in this incredibly overtly violent 18+ game then they really do need to take a long, hard look at themselves.

Onward Christian soldiers. But only when it’s convenient. And doesn’t chafe.

9 Likes

I don’t think its fair to lump in conservative christians with the OP. Most of the people who consider themselves such love the REH stories and Conan in particular. In fact it inspires most of their writings for the ones who are authors, and the drawings of those who are artists.

At this point I think the OP is trolling. There’s no BDSM stuff in the game unless you have a mod that adds it. If that’s the case then he can simply turn off the mod.

1 Like

All I am saying is that it takes you out of the game experience, in a negative way, if you are falling out of your chair laughing at the absurd “armors” during game-play.

I do admin & host a server with nudity on, that’s not all what I’m saying. It’s just that in a group of three people playing at times we’ve all had to stop playing and die laughing at many BDSM type situations only exaggerated by the available emotes such as submissive, spank, come here and seduce, etc.

Well, can see this whole thread has been on the level of a Rick Roll, fair play to you Sir.

1 Like

lol, yea not in the least BDSM.

Keep in mind I’m refraining from going into the “dancer” gear types

The thing is to somehow find literally anything to complain about.

What’s next? Ponytails and long hair that itemize women in the game?

Seriously, sometimes is tiresome to read the the forums.

8 Likes

Personally I think there is not enough BDSM gear but I can live with the current situation.

Can funcom add koteka as a clothing item in the future? I like to wear as little clothes as possible, I do however need some protection down there.

5 Likes

I really don’t have an issue with it. I agree with Lied in the post above. I actually want more BDSM gear.

4 Likes

@Bosn, you bring up the Set Choker. Riddle me this: at what point in the long history of bondage have nipple rings ever cooled anybody off? :mankini:

Its easy to find BDSM everywhere. The fetish itself came from the concept of torturers, slavers and the constant use of leather is very common in primitive comunities . The BDSM is in your eyes stained by modern concepts, not in the game =D.

4 Likes

Not to mention his examples included a couple dancer outfits if I’m not mistaken, oh and the religious garb of the Death cult of the Fertility goddess…

Probably the point at which they shed their warm clothing tho show off their piercings.

2dmdhm

2 Likes

It goes far beyond the imagery, it’s the context and how the in-game models seem tailored for it specifically. There is no doubt it has been intentionally introduced. I just think it’s an odd distraction to introduce, mainly because I think it takes away from the game-play experience. I don’t need my warrior prancing around the dungeons. Even if I can ignore the fact that my in-game party’s archer is dressed like a hardcore-gimp it’s hard to ignore when he can also dash, leap and lunge in a beyond feminine even matter (again, not to mention the available emotes used to continue that imagery). I’m just saying we as a group playing the game take it to be a joke against the devs and not something contextually funny about Conan; we are laughing at them, not with them.

I agree it’s up to personal preference that’s why I said I’d like a filter and not BAN IT ALL OR YOU’RE ALL GOING TO HELL! BURN! You guys need to lay off the drama.

I’m guessing to some degree it’s how Funcom admits to a single person getting to do every aspect of development and design; it’s a strength for a artist but in this case I think it has likely been a single person that introduced the problem. They need a diverse opinion internally because that’s how the game is being played.

I knew being naked was the right choice! =p

3 Likes