What would be the best way to setup a trading economy on my private server

I would like to set up some type of trading/economy system on my private server does anyone have a system that works? My longtime friend has suggested that we use an Escrow system where someone plays the neutral party. I do not know anyone that I would trust to be the Escrow holder. Any Ideas? we do have access to both Facebook community and PSN community pages.

The Pippi server management mod has a small economy function built in. With a little tinkering you might be able to get something going with that. We’re looking at something along these lines as well on my server but right now we’re just trying different mods out.

1 Like

He is on PS4 no mods allowed

1 Like

I am certainly not an economist, but I’ve thought about this too. It depends on how extensive you want the trading system / economy to work.

I imagine it can operate without a middle man/woman – ie players engaging in free trade and agreeing to exchange whatever goods they see fit too, and at whatever rates they find reasonable at the time. The more extensive way to do this is to assign values to all the resources, so that their goods can be exchanged for comparative value.

As an example, 100 bark could be given a value of one silver coin; and a stack of 100 iron bars is given a value of 5 silver coins. The players could either outright buy 100 bark for one silver coin, or 100 iron bars for 5 silver coins; Or the players could exchange goods – i.e. 500 bark for 100 iron bars. It would take some time to get through and determine the value of all the resources, building materials, placeables, weapons and armor, and even thralls and pets. however, once you get through the resources (refined and unrefined) you can base the value of constructed goods on the value of the resources used to build them. Again, this would be time intensive and the player base would likely want/need to agree to valuations for the system to be viable.

If you want a middle man/woman, it becomes slightly more elaborate, but also more secure (if you can trust the guy/gal), but it is more time intensive and exchanges could only be made when that player is online. Aside from that, you’re on the honor system, and can have each player set up in and out boxes at their bases to make the exchanges.

I’ve not yet applied any of this to my server, but it is what I have thought up as to how I would go about it.

Correction/Edit: Actually, we kind of do have a system in place, its the first and most simple version – which is to exchange goods directly to another player, and some of us use in and out trade boxes.

1 Like

Honestly that is the best way, let the traders create the value. Some may find it worth it to trade a couple t3 crafters for one priest or a named crafter. It’s only got value of what someone is willing to pay for it.

Edit: my lovely spelling

1 Like

I concur, let people make up their own minds as to value. I run a private server and we have a pretty good trading economy going between those who choose to engage. I just made a deal with a level 40 player to craft legendary repair kits for 25 steel bars per kit. They agreed, brought me 1 stack (100 bars) and I gave him 4 kits. I felt compensated, he felt fairly treated, we both won.

Example and point being, encourage your player base to engage, but allow them to determine what they value.

On a personal note, time is the most precious resource. If you try to establish a currency, keep people’s time in mind. What’s 30 min worth, an hour, etc… what can be accomplished in those time frames.

2 Likes

Indeed – my hypothetical valuations were just thrown out on the fly. Before the update wherein we get bark from shaping wood, I would have valued it higher than iron – at least iron ore.

In the end, the simplest way is generally the best way – while creating a more extensive trading system/economy would be interesting, it may be more effort than it is worth. You can always just build a “trading outpost” where players can meet up for their exchange of goods.

1 Like

Well, if you are the server admin you have access to whatever your clients may need so you can do it yourself by selling everything for gold/silver coins. That’s just an idea though.

1 Like

I recommend you to start the same way the money started. A player want something that other player have and he is willing to share/sell, but the buyer have nothing that the seller is interested in by the moment, so the buyer give a credit to the seller (that means, coins) and in the future, when the seller want to buy something from the buyer then he just use that “credit” (coins) this is how the money started in our “real” world

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.