Why won't funcom appoint community folks to moderate servers?

:man_shrugging:

PVE servers would also benefit from having moderators, a lot.

1 Like

Did we just agree… :kissing_heart:

This game don’t need moderation. It is a savage game, in a savage environment.
What this game needs is a serious quality assurance, a new claim system, some serious optimization and testlive to become "the phantomatical internal build where everything is already being fixed…

And of course COMMUNITY COMMUNICATION and for the censorship of exploits and glitches to end, so that we can talk about it publicly while they bake fixes out, talking freely about this things could also dish out inspirations for new ingame stuff and mechanics.

1 Like

@dorizzdt No, you didnt … Read the whole thing and havent seen a single person agreeing with your suggestion, myself included. Having officials moderated by random people who are not allowed to play the game and are supposed to stay in the shadows on pvp servers with 20-30 people is something I find rather difficult to imagine … Most of the issues in other games come from the fact that GMs dont play the game and why would they be admins for free when they can have their own private server with the possibility for people to donate in case they are satisfied with their work?

3 Likes

The only one I’d trust to be an admin on my server* is, well, me. And I don’t want the job, I’ve already got a job thankyouverymuch :smiley:

*my server = the server I play on, not literally a server I own

7 Likes

I am yet to find a game public forum allowing open discussion on cheats/exploits within their game.

I think if funcom would want to they could easily find some trustworthy guys to just declare as an intermediary authority. With no rights of banning or changing anything in the game. Only someone to take your report to, who got better access to message an admin for a reaction as fast as possible. They can go there, check if whichever bug or glitch got reported is really taking place(if you are smart enough, you can do that, done so myself on multiple officials) and have direct contact with one of the admins to get the people banned/undermesh cleared.

Also note down positions where and how you can go undermesh or every exploit and then give a full list to the admin’s like once a week. Imagine having a patch rhythm of like 2 or 3 weeks then. Like league of legends for example. If you would patch with a real patch rhythm and if you only fix 5 spots and 1 exploit every 2 weeks you would still catch more and more exploiters and you would kinda drag them out of using bugs because for now its like: community finds out a undermesh spot or another exploit and sometimes it takes months till it gets fixed. (Apart of some crucial hotfixes)
So undermeshed guys can sit in their hideout for months with loot and won’t have to be scared it gets destroyed a week later because everyone knows there are no regular fixes, no real schedule.

I think that would make the players feel better & make funcoms work a whole lot easier. If you would invest manpower into fixing this game there would be so much potential. But I’m on the same official for months now and we had to take care of almost every glitcher ourselves. Mist spots are still free to enter even though we always give a vid/pictures/coordinates. I think this is not how its supposed to be and I can understand every frustration behind it. And for me the “get your own server” is not a point here. As a paying player and community member you deserve some servings - like in many other successful games. You cant just go and tell: yeah just do your own work.

So, imagine you bought a pc and the mainboard isn’t working. You’re now about to call the company and tell them: guys one part of my product isn’t working what do I have to do how can you help me? - yeah we dont care fix it yourself ie wait 6 months we will send you a new piece. W-wait what? Exactly that’s what you are saying. Freaky, right?

Time changed. Service is a part that matters everywhere and so should matter in a game. Because after all its still a business and businesses have to work and offer services to fix problems(as good and fast as possible). Rather it’s a game or a shop or a website. That’s the job
abou of 18294188184 people - also funcoms job.

Getting some fixes in like 3 months shouldn’t be their and our standards. And I dont say they’re not working at all, or only doing bad stuff. Whiteknights put your hands down! I’m saying that their priorities are not on point and there are ways to make it better. This is all constructive criticism. You can either take it and work on it or leave it. But I don’t need a whiteknight commenting and discussing with me like I just insulted his mother, so please dont even try :slight_smile:

You never been on the old facepunch rust forum then.

via a quick google research it appears that they have also never managed to get the cheating under control :slight_smile:

Dude it still has the same point. If you buy something and its not working the service of the company is fixing it. And dont talk about me like you would know anything about me. Keep it friendly or leave it. I dont need assumptions about my person that are more than wrong.

No one wants to boycott funcom here. All we want is to make them care about stuff we care about.

How do you suggest they do that?

Did we really compare Conan Exiles with League of Legends?

For this to work you need to have the low level support and the high level support. Meaning we still need official admins to be employed.

If your mainboard is not working you won’t be able to start your computer at all, you can still play the game and officials, your game is working, you just want more out of it. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t support cheaters and I would love to see subscription servers with active moderation so that people can play the free non-moderated servers or pay for the admin support.

1 Like

Yes by fixing the game, what part you don’t understand of “official rust servers are not managed, moderated and administrated by facepunch”?

No one is calling for a boicott, I’m talking about facing the real issues at hand, that is the game being a messy clunky copy-paste of ue4 blueprints hacked together the best way possible.

We either call for testlive to become “that internal build where bugs are magically fixed but never shown” or we live with unintended game mechanics.

About patches, you don’t seem to understand this game is also on console, and the certification process for console takes much more times than pc, and they want to give the same patch at the same time to all platforms. “think about the console users”

No there wouldn’t what a load of nonsense… what soverignty law you are even close to quoting here and i’ll give you hint …Norway… doesn’t cover any hint of this legislativey or otherwise.

Who said a non-employee would issue the ban…where did you jump to that from…

[quote=“Shadoza, post:11, topic:102104”]
The ToS clearly states that the Official servers are not moderated. To insist on moderation after reading such is an odd thing for me to hear.

ToS can change…they change often in software…what you think you can’t make ammendments after the fact… still could even abide by the ToS and by using a 3rd party you have legal recourse to be in breach of stated ToS… it would be likely implied but that would be a very slippery and weak position to uphold…since we are arm chair lawyering at the moment.

Funny how these rules seem to fit a specific party but the customers… i mean… kinda sucks doesn’t it… rules also stated don’t exploit… and yet… here we are… quite the logic trap really.

Law and order, explained from the guy who actually eats puppies and call it ham-sandwich.

The game need to be refined, not the snitches and police on the servers.

I…openly have questions now.

I am curious to know what kind of criteria and process you think would allow them to easily filter the playerbase to get trustworthy helpers.

Let me see if I got that right. The helper has no right to ban anyone, an actual Funcom staffer with admin powers will do that. But the “admin” doesn’t have to do an in-depth check of the helper’s report, because that would defeat the purpose of trying to reduce their workload. So the helper has no ban rights nominally, but their word ends up being a de facto ban.

This is why all of us are considering the issue of trust very seriously. At worst, this can lead to some serious abuse. At best, it can lead to honest mistakes that still end up getting someone banned. In both cases, people will be pissed at Funcom.

Serious question: why do you think Funcom takes so long to fix these things? Let’s take a look at what goes into the whole process:

1. Cheaters find an exploit and start using it.
  2. Normal players get targeted by an exploit and get suspicious.
  3. The victims report the suspicious circumstances with various degrees of precision. In the best case, some of them figure out the actual exploit and report that in detail.
  4. A Funcom employee (or contractor or whatever) verifies the reported details and figures out anything that’s missing.
  5. If this is a new kind of exploit, the dev team has to figure out how to fix it. This investigation and design is incorporated into the dev team’s plan.
  6. The dev team schedules the exploit fix according to the priority of the fix, the priorities of everything else in the pipeline and whatever technical considerations come into play.
  7. The devs fix the exploit.
  8. The patch with the fix gets rolled out.

So if an exploit takes weeks-to-moths to fix, any combination of the aforementioned steps could be inefficient.

The idea that the team needs volunteer helpers – in order to release more frequent patches – seems to assume that it’s the step 4 that’s the main problem. From my limited experience in the industry, I would suspect the combination of steps 6 and 8 much more (and step 5, too, where applicable).

In other words, either Funcom doesn’t always give exploit fixes the top priority, or their tech makes it really hard for them to work on a fix and the rest of the stuff in parallel in some cases, or their build-and-release process is cumbersome and problematic.

Again, this is based off of only 2 years of experience in a game dev studio, so take it with a grain of salt, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

Comparing game development to assembling PCs is not even an “apples and oranges” case – at least both of those are fruit – it’s comparing giraffes and mountain peaks because they both seem kinda tall.

A PC is assembled from mass-produced parts. The company that sells you a PC will give you a warranty, because they know that they can easily replace a part that failed.

I totally agree. But we don’t really know why this is happening and whether having admins/moderators will fix it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the status quo is fine. I think official servers would benefit from moderation. And I think Funcom could probably do something to make their bugfix patches more frequent.

When it comes to moderation, I think the idea of having community-moderated servers listed in official server list would be a fine thing and a good solution both for Funcom and for players.

When it comes to patch frequency, I can only offer “thoughts and prayers” :wink:

TL;DR: Trust is tricky. Finding trustworthy people is hard. Patching is not as easy as people think. The current situation needs improvement. The official servers would benefit from moderation, but it’s a non-trivial problem. And reading only the TL;DR and not the rest of the post is intellectually lazy :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You’re missing Narelle’s point. What he/she saying is that the reason Funcom (and other companies) don’t allow people to discuss exploit details on official forums is because it makes it easier for more people to use exploits and it doesn’t make it easier to fix those exploits, if Facepunch official forums are any evidence.

1 Like

Servers have backups and and abusive admin will be striped from its rights…

The majority of the minds in the forums have reached this point and thats petty sad:

I am not for community mods, but seeing that people can cheat and being abusive at official servers without remorse, is just sad. This drives players away…

And whats more sad, is that reporting players are getting attacked and/or their threads closed. Even when they have video proof…

Also most of the people who dont have a problem with the current status, are playing on private or have luck with their official server (like myself).

And its sad, that the only alternative to “the whole map is blocked by a clan” are:
. use another server
. use a private server

because Funcom doesnt care and the majority of people here dont care anymore, because “it was always like that”.