Would you, 10K block limit

lNUh0uV

It’s frustrating enough that “wE wAnT bLoCk LiMiTs” keeps getting suggested by people who clearly didn’t spend enough time just thinking it through, but it crosses the line into infuriating when it’s someone who starts the topic with “yes, that subject again”.

I know I should approach this more calmly and rationally, but come on. How often do the same things have to be pointed out to people who have seen them before? :rage:

2 Likes

So a 10K block limited wouldn’t stop some one from putting down a 40K megabase, how?

Show me where I said anything about server performance. Sorry but it sounds to me like you want to make this about something it isn’t. It’s not about severer performance, it’s about “he who lays the most blocks wins”. it’s about people covering entire map grids with foundations.

How many times have do I point out the issue of this post is “MEGABUILDS” And guess what? Block limits would stop that. So your rants are off topic at best.

Oh God… not this again :smiley:

Against ToS, report them, don’t try to propose unrelated nonsense changes so that you can get away without being the “bad guy”… If you want to be the nice guy, you can try to talk to them first, see if they’re willing to change their build… if not, just report…

You do realize that anyone can crash your game with a building limit of 6 right? (technically not even that is needed, but we’re talking about “buildings”) So a foundation… 4 walls and a ceiling… and stuff it with standing torches… you walk by, your game freezes and crashes… There…

So if you’re trying to do this purely out of the motivation that your game is running like crap around bases or that your server is lagging… the much better and much more effective thing would be to pressure Funcom to switch hosting providers already, OR even better have THEM pressure gportal to use hardware from this century… That will solve your lag issues… a building limit wont…

Oh btw, when I started typing this I didn’t yet see your post above me so editing:

You didn’t have to say it… we’re not blind you know… You have been making thread after thread recently on the forums about bad server performance… and having to play on testlive servers since you have better performance there… etc etc… it was all about server performance…
So anyone assuming that this isn’t about performance and you’re just somehow bothered by the sight of buildings either is new to the forums or a bit slow… At least when I made my post I was 99% sure that yet again you ran into some performance issues so you’re here proposing changes since you can’t play the game.
If however I am wrong and it is the mere sight of… buildings… that bothers you, there is always single player (which btw has also excellent ping :smiley: )

1 Like

To expand a little on the subject , I’ve been playing on 2 official PVE-C servers since the time I started playing conan exiles . The first one is an Exiles Land server I joined around march 2019 . and the Second one is a Siptah server that we joined on the first day of early access .

On the exiles land (upon arrival) there was a clan who shall remain nameless but let’s call it The alpha clan since it was pretty much what everyones definition of an “aplha clan” is in terms of buildings and longevity on the server . What I mean by this is that most obelisks had a public maproom that was their clans building (not overdoing it but still researched aesthetically buildings )

and if it wasn’t them it would have been another clan ( that the last player eventually has integrated my clan after a few years of living as a solo player of a “dead 10 man clan” ( his friend enjoyed the game built and then almost already had stopped playing when we joined the server ) )

the “alpha clan” also had some other weirdly placed buildings that I couldn’t really understand at first glance , but that would turn out to be " defensive structrures " ( like one preventing new players from accidentally building over the Asura’s chosen spawn , that would “sometimes” kill the spawn depending on the updates ( i say sometimes because it was fixed but then I have seen the issue resurfaced recently … )

This alpha clan was welcoming to noobs giving tips and being helpfull and wasn’t afraid of starting wars , or sending ultimatums or warnings to players that would build in places that would obstruct shortcuts or POI’s , but even then pve-c has the same issue as pve if someones build and never plays in pvp hours … so it didn’t prevent what’s following

Also let’s recall that at these times rules were not as clear as today , and the General belief at that times was that " funcom never bans anyone and don’t administrate at all officials servers " or it was believed to be exceptionnaly rare and for pure Hacks evidence and not for any "diplomacy issues " if I remember correctly the wording from the old TOS.

Long story , “short” , a new player enters the server , and with a few sandstones block and the right timing , he encircles the vulcano obelisks which public maproom timmer wasn’t refreshed .

Now how on earth a building limit can prevent this to happen to you and why on earth would a building limit should be imposed to players that are just building within the vision the devs had for the game which is the community helping each other out ( PVE PVE-C or PVP all modes have created friendships / alliances , and of course nemesis and frenemies in PvP modes ) especially nowadays the response from funcom banning the offenders is well known and with a few screenshots and the use of patience since they still need to actually review the report and do the thing , it will be dealt with .

As a last point I see a lot of people saying that if you want to build “big” you can go solo , and to an extent of course I agree on this , but let’s also remind that the opposite is also true if you want a “fresh server with no inconvenient buildings” you can always play on private/solo/coop . some people get frustrated as soon as people build close to them , think the others denaturate the landscape , well in some terms it’s also true for them and their home but they never see it that way … When I see a sandstone building pop up closeby I always ask to myself in a naive way , will this neighbour not decay and will i finaly have another neighbour than the alpha clan ( yes I was at some point the stupid noob who built next to the alpha :see_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: :hear_no_evil:)

It would stop someone from putting down a 40k megabase, but it would also stop someone else from putting down a perfectly reasonable 15k base, and it also would not stop someone else from putting down a 10k base that will cripple the server.

In other words, it’s useless.

“Wins” how? By blocking resources, animals, or thrall spawns? You can do that with a 10k limit. By blocking passages? You can do that with a 10k limit. So how exactly does your 10k limit prevent anyone from “winning” maliciously?

How many times do people have to point out that stopping “megabuilds” doesn’t solve anything? There’s nothing a “megabuild” does to the server and to other players that you can’t do with a 10k limit in place.

Kind of had to see the point with “my argument” blinders on isn’t it?

The point is MEGABUILDS period. Quit trying to make this about your argument.

Stopping megabuilds stops megabuilds why is that so damned hard to comprehend?

It’s not hard to comprehend. What seems to be hard to comprehend for you is that it also ruins the game for other people who don’t build megabuilds.

And honestly, I wouldn’t give a shіt about it if you were just asking “hey, would you play on a private server with that limit”, but you’re actively asking Funcom to implement that in the base game.

So if you’re going to propose ruining the game for a whole bunch of people, you don’t get to get pissy and personal with them when they point out that your idea would ruin the game for them.

Does that help understand what I and some others are talking about, or do I have to get down on your level and use personal attacks so you’ll comprehend me?

Oh I haven’t even started with the personal attacks, yet. But you are certainly begging for a few.

Just how would limiting blocks to 10K ruin anyone’s game that isn’t trying to cover a map square with foundations? It’s already been well establish you can build a large keep with fewer blocks.

Seriously, back up your argument, how is limiting people to 10k blocks “ruining” their game. I am most curious why you think this?

I think I can answer this…you give me this limit…it’s a megastructure…if not multiple. It’s an arbitrary number established by user experience…I would say why stop there?..make it 5k. And what’s the biggest issue with these megastructures? Content blocking…which people do regardless of limit…because some people are just dicks and get enjoyment by harassing others. No matter what, you are still going to have to be the “bad guy” snitch because there are those that will force you into it…so you shouldn’t feel bad about it because you are doing it for the good of the server.

1 Like

No no no no, by that logic make it 0! Everybody gets a chest in Sepermeru and we bulldoze your building plots to build a server-side Mall! :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

No!

It’s a stupid non-solution to a non-problem. According to all logic and to Funcom themselves.

If you want the map all to yourself go Single Player. If you want to control others go Private Server. If you think someone is violating your precious sensibilities report them to Zen Desk. Otherwise leave the rest of us alone - thank you!

4 Likes

I agree that something needs to be done for officials but no matter what they do people WILL still find a way to be a dick about things. That’s just people.

3 Likes

I think a limit would acutely help against such constructions as this bridge that crosses 3 biomes.

Sure. You don’t need that many blocks to build a large keep. Hell, why stop there? After all, you don’t even need a large keep. Or a keep. In fact, on a PVE(-C) server, you don’t need anything bigger than a small house with a small yard where you can put one or two smallish thrall or animal taming stations.

That should be enough for anyone, so why not force them to play that way? The only thing that should matter is what you think people should be allowed to do!

Some people like to collect. Others like to fight. Others like to build. There are those of us who like to build and are perfectly capable of building something that exceeds the arbitrary limit you pulled out of your inferior dorsal orifice, without bothering anyone or impacting the server in any significant way.

Proof? I have personally built a castle, on an official server, that used 13,819 pieces, covered less than 1/4 of the grid square, and never bothered anyone or caused performance problems. It had all 6 shrines (this was before Zath was introduced), a greater wheel of pain, an armored taming pen, a map room, and all the crafting stations with a decent level of redundancy.

There are those of us who like building something big and intricate, yet are capable of doing so responsibly and without bothering anyone. We would hate to have our playstyle ruined just because some rando on the Internet forgot, among other things, that there are three dimensions in this game, and didn’t think of the fact that the number of pieces doesn’t equate the base footprint because you can also build up.

Look, just because you can’t imagine how anyone could get up to more than 10k blocks without “covering a map square with foundations” doesn’t mean that it’s not possible. I mean, we haven’t even touched the fact that one player could build more than one building in more than one location, again without bothering anyone and without blocking content and without impacting the server performance, and blow your 10k limit that way.

The 10k block limit a half-baked idea you didn’t bother to think through, it prevents an extremely narrow class of problems without solving their root cause or preventing any other related problems, and it ruins a whole bunch of perfectly reasonable playstyles.

To add insult to injury, the problem you’re so up in arms about already has a solution: report the megabases. Yes, it actually works, especially if you describe what those megabases are blocking and include appropriate screenshots.

There might be many things wrong with the current official server administration process, but this is one of those few things where it absolutely shines. I’ve had no qualms reporting stuff built by chuckleheads who don’t care for anyone else on the server, and it always got removed within a couple of days from reporting.

You know what also helps against such constructions? Reporting them.

1 Like

I have been a dedicated custodian of the maprooms on my server now for several years and have a modest main base. I haven’t even started building the 2-3 Transportary Stone buildings that I want and my total building pieces are just barely over 12k.

10k block restriction = game ruined for me. :roll_eyes:

In all fairness, your problem seems to stem from where people are building, not how much. Even with a 10k limit, people are still going to block all your precious paths and make your play time frustrating. In truth, you have no more right to those pathways than any other person playing on that “public” server. I agree, it’s frustrating and inconvenient to go around them, but if they were there first, then too bad. You need to share the server better.

For those that are building “megastructures,” the best method to deal with them is already in the game, report them. Yes I wish Zendesk responded quicker and gave people more detail about why they were wiped/banned, but it’s still the right answer to your problem. Funcom has been slowly improving this feature (with faster responses as well as in-game reporting) and therefor, the players’ experiences, so just be patient.

2 Likes

Done weeks ago… Do you know that a processing takes up to 3 months? :wink:

I always thought that the lag is more a problem of bandwidth problem than processing, more players more traffic. Maybe reducing the building blocks help a very little, will reduce the amount of packages through the network, but if the players online jump from 20 to 40 it will be necessary to reduce even more the limits to the point that you cant do almost nothing. Im just speculating as im not infrastructure adm. But if the problem is database then i can talk properlly.

1 Like

Hasn’t been my experience for this kind of report. Maybe I was lucky :man_shrugging:

Of course, there are other possible explanations, but it could be luck too.

We could launch a challenge after the “build a home using no tools”, the “build something pretty cool with x amount of blocks and placeables that can hold at least one of each station”. And see what people do.

Rickandmorty Showme GIF - Rickandmorty Showme GIFs

Reductio ad absurdum

Why? I’m not at all sure how I can make it any more clear… “whasit about?” MEGABUILDS.
really beginning to think I need a starmetal hammer. :roll_eyes:

An official server?

it was a simple question, not sure why some people insist on stretching it in to a debate to insert their tangent related arguments.

You know that one pond in the oasis of nekhet that has the island with the king{?} shellback and all the blue indigo plants? Some one has not only covered the island, they’ve covered the entire pond. Reported it weeks ago, guess what?

Not the subject of the thread.