3.0 and PvP: Discussion and Speculation

Here’s a list of the things I saw/heard in the livestream that I thought were important to the future balance of PvP:

Overarching:

• Sorcery spells that circumvent PvP build practices ( ice bridge, flying, slow falling, invisibility)
  • Perk AND gear attribute overhaul
  • Corruption (decreased max hp) for significant power
  • Thrall Dmg (50%) and hp (?%) nerf (CHR stat can compensate for Dmg nerf)
  • Multiple options to have more than 1 follower (CHR and sorcery)
  • Sorcery spells to possibly counter thralls? They worked on npcs (taunt, darkness/fear, invisibility)
  • Weapons are divided into strength and agility types
  • No wipes
    ——————————————

Specific:

• Lance nerf
  • Buff to stam damage of certain weapons vs horses (spear)
  • Spear buff (3-4 combo timing)
  • Great axe buff ( damage and roll cancel added to attacks)
  • Bow builds have integrated scaling melee options (AGI melee weapons)
  • Drawbridge and Gate frames hp nerf
  • T2 building hp buffed
    ————————————-

My biggest take away was a comment made by @den about exp rates. They were talking about possibly increasing gather and exp rates on PvP servers to get in, fight each other and rebuild faster. The three expressed a desire to find a balance between your stuff mattering and not wanting to give up and quit if you lose it. Whether you agree or not, I think that speaks volumes about the vision for official PvP.

I am curious if there are any other changes I missed that might affect PvP, as well as the forums reactions to these changes. Please keep it civil exiles.

6 Likes

I only have 3.5k pvp hours but I don’t think the spear needs a buff, everybody is using that weapon and it’s the most boring thing, also the 2H axe doesnt needs more damage but a better moveset (Cancel roll is a nice addition).

Other than that everything else is nice.
(Claws, daggers, 1H mace and gladius needs a new moveset aswell)

1 Like

Yeah the spear buff, while small, seemed odd to me. I’m no expert in its use, but I’ve always thought the great axe’s failing were more from its lack of effective hyper armor on its first two heavy attacks. I’m not sure whether damage and roll cancels will increase it’s use or not.

some spells were pretty nice, the one with darkness/slow was the most interesting one to me.
imagine defending a base and you are trapped in darkness versus an army full of thralls xD.

while i agree with some horse nerf, the fact that there will be a weapon that multiplies on horses is kinda weird, unless its a spear
Because in theory, the cavalry usually counters any infantry unit minus lancers/spears

drawbridge nerf is great
i think T2 will still be useless because is so cheap to make T3 specially with a T3 blacksmith.

As for the increased rates, i think 2x is a good balance between making your loot super cheap and not making it too time demand the farm.

i am scared about 2 stuffs:
the flying bat will make most walls useless i don’t think is a good adittion for PVP.

And the new TP in your base should be able to be used by enemies as well. maybe even add a timer to prevent being picked up after use.
ah, and i actually love the illussion system it will be great to know who is friend or foe.

1 Like

Yeah I imagine the bat and the slow fall spell are a nail in the coffin for pillar bases and walls. They did note that a single arrow would knock you out of flight, so for online raiding probably not really an issue. However for offline raiding it means they only have to sneak in just before raid hours, which already isn’t terribly uncommon.

1 Like

the flying bat once the spell is cast has a limited stamina bar, so once it runs out the bat drops you. the bat’s stamina pops up right below your character’s own health and stamina bars, and Dennis did say that an arrow can knock you off the bat.

4 Likes

well, thats nice, not gonna lie, but still will facilitate other people entering your yard when no one is around, who knows what they can do

1 Like

this does pose an interesting point though; will archer thralls become necessary to snipe down bat-flying players?

1 Like

well archers cannot attack outside raid hours so…

the AA will only be active for a few hours per day :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ah, i see, thanks for answering my question.

You can fly on top of bases and remove the corruption with heart of heroes. This seems pretty bad IMO.

The ice bridge could be potentially harmful too, when you are able to construct it on claimed area.

1 Like

All of the spells are very useful for hidden bases that I can see. I don’t need to build methods into the base that would be detectable.

or log off mid fall. Then log in magically safe on the ground.

1 Like

Not mentioning the ai not always activating. We had 4 archers during raid hours just stand and watch enemies run around the yard. And yes i armed the bows…with smake arrows no less. 3 stacks on each. Not one fired. These same ones would fire at passing deer.

3 Likes

I do. Since spear will always be the only good option to chase down players except throwing axe or horse. In the live version we cant even do a full combo with spear without getting it cancelled by another weapon since the lack of speed between the combos.

They nerfed spear to it max and people still uses it for the same reason as before.
And tbh it’s the weapon u need most skill to use aswell, others is mostly spam weapons since the animations is dog$h!t. They should look over the animations on the other weapon types instead of trying to mske spear weak. And it seems like they understood that now.

That’s actually not true, I’m not sure if you’re a roleplayer or something[quote=“dorpie, post:15, topic:195466, full:true”]

I do. Since spear will always be the only good option to chase down players except throwing axe or horse. In the live version we cant even do a full combo with spear without getting it cancelled by another weapon since the lack of speed between the combos.

They nerfed spear to it max and people still uses it for the same reason as before.
And tbh it’s the weapon u need most skill to use aswell, others is mostly spam weapons since the animations is dog$h!t. They should look over the animations on the other weapon types instead of trying to mske spear weak. And it seems like they understood that now.
[/quote]

That’s actually not true, you can catch up with many weapons I believe it’s called sprinting attack, you probably don’t know much about group fights or even 1v1 but it’s s easy to just roll when getting hit then poke with spear, you’re untouchable with spear against any
weapon.

It doesnt matter if you don’t get to combo when you can just poke the enemy without getting hit and it gets worse it team fights

You know, someone can be good at PVP and enjoy “roleplay” stuff like immersion and cosmetics? It really gets to me when I see “roleplayer” used to dismiss someone or imply they don’t know what they’re talking about. The two things aren’t connected at all.

4 Likes

Well they say “dominate”, but they don’t mean it actually. They don’t want perma dominance in a server that’s for sure, because they know that this is fun only for the dominant and no other :man_shrugging:.
I totally agree with your suggestion about teleporting, this will actually solve all the pvp worries that this action may cause and they should accept this suggestion of yours under serious consideration, way to go @Ethel :+1:t6:.
The game is changing, I know, but your time, our time playing this game only will help them see “if” they have “mistakes” and how to change it.
Nice post @Ulyssi as always :+1:t6:.

2 Likes

Something I’m a bit concerned about is people having more than one thrall following them. Imagine a situation where I bump into a pair of enemy players and we start fighting. The game’s already pretty janky with three of us (perhaps mounted) and three thralls. If it’s trying to run six thralls and deal with the three human players doing human things at the same time… I’m not sure it’ll cope. I’m on PS4 so I know that’s part of it but still. It’s a bit of a worry I think.

3 Likes

Ofc, Most of the time while running after someone, you need to use spear, since the animation of the spear wont interupt your team.

It does matter. Since you have less stamina than you do damage with spear, need around 8-10 first heavy attack to poke someone to death and do so is impossible since u will be out of stamina before that happens. So the combo buff is needed for people who play against others while outnumbered for an example.

I think you should look in to how group fights actually works, my man.