3.0 ruined Archery

Btw, you can heavy shot and then roll for Rolling Thrust it will apply and it is very good at close/long distance combat, cripple still here, shoot at legs for it. Old bows was not useful on distance more than 10 meters(if you play against players, not some pve stupid mob), cause they could avoid on reaction, but it was very good at close combat if they are near you, they have zero chance to survive, Lol. In 3.0 bows heavy shot at close distance with NOT MAX damage oriented equipment does something like 500 damage on players with 1000+ armor. And what is more enjoyable, arrows now flying, we could shoot, not thrust with arrow like we did before

1 Like

Agreed but if there isn’t a noticable difference with level 15 perk, that is an issue.

What is ironic here is that according to this topic 3.0 Ruined Archery while according to this video archery is the new meta :smiley:

6 Likes

It is a noticeable difference with the level 15 perk.
It’s so noticeable that even melee str builds may roll 15 agility just to have it.

i don’t know what game you are playing…
currently, bow is ridiculous OP. you can kill anyone with 2 shots and you don’t even need the best bow and arrow to do so.

In 3.0 archery will be more powerful.

1- horses are weaker, you can kill them with 6-8 shot. so you can kill the horse before the rider hit you.

2- you can aimlock heavy attack now. (i know that the best pvpers don’t use target lock, but you being able to do it, lowers skill ceilling a lot).

3- you can still kill people with 2-3 shots.

4- you have a powerful bow that costs almost nothing and have infinite arrows* (the one you can summon) and when you die, people can’t get it.
*these arrows are the best ones after hollow bone arrows.

5- Agility 2nd perk is RIDICULOUs OP. arrows flies as fast as a rifle bullet.

6- Agility 3rd perk will be almost mandatory for every build, and for an archer, they are already there.

7- with 3.0 as it its atm, pvp meta will be: bow + spear or dagger.
str 20/agi 15/vit 20/grit 5 or agi 20/vit 20/grit 20, something like this

2 Likes

Dark Cat makes some pretty solid videos for Conan Exiles, so his info seems pretty thought out and well explained. I’d love a dedicated archery tree, but the set up he has seems pretty good.

:herb: Hakeem of The Sapphire Shores :herb:

agility 15 makes a huge difference.
you can run away from your opponent, heal yourself and go back to the fight for example.

Have you tried it with vagabond armor?

Unfortunately He Mistook “Damage Mitigation” (read Reduction) as Damage. So his premise on that perk is incorrect.

With just some agg armour and right perks you can do 4-500 damage with khari bow and obsidian arrows in 1 heavy shot. So yes indeed they ruined it.

1 Like

Not to be rude, but the hotbar is kinda garbage with a controller.
You have to hold down LB/L1 and use the R-stick to select something.
In itself it’s not bad. I’ve used similar design in Monster Hunter.

Where it is a bad design is if you get into combat and need to switch. Because you have a shield on LT/L2, and you have to get a finger to LB to pop up to switch. Encountered this a lot with swapping Weapon and Truncheon.

I don’t commonly hold a controller with two fingers on the shoulders and thumbs on the sticks. I don’t think I ever have. It’s uncomfortable, to say the least. (Ideally, controllers should have been designed with LB/L1/RB/R1 where the Trigger/L2/R2 buttons are for you index fingers, while the triggers and lower shoulder buttons should have been on the underside of the controller, where my middle fingers naturally curl and rest. But that’s an industry design flaw.)

Personally, I’d rather see more perk options than the limited doubles we have now.

Agility could be split more into two lines of four options.
One line for melee weapons, one for archery.
You pick and choose at each step what you want to use.

It offers more versatility in building and designing your character.

I mean, as it is now, you have backstab, a melee/archery option, quickfooted, and a useless double jump and rolling thrust, which seems better.

But rolling thrust really seems designed for melee weapons, over archery. If you have to dodge (and not simply roll) then you have to be in melee range, and that can hamper a bow.

Ideally I see Backstab getting coupled with a Headshot option.
Deadshot and Precision Strike are perfectly fine.
Quickfooted feels like it could be ranged or melee, easily enough. Call it ranged, and have a longer dodge roll option for the melee.
Extended Leap just needs to be gone, and instead an archery based one instead.

Since it’s a 20 point perk, why not a Doubleshot ? Two arrows fired, one arrow consumed. Separate them by 0.5 to 1s so it’s harder on a moving target as the second arrow might miss. Set their damage to like 0.7 normal, maybe 0.8.

You could then mix and match them. You could go heavy on the melee side of agility. You could go heavy on the archery side of things. You could pick back and forth for a unique style.

Such as Backstab/Extended Roll for melee, Deadshot/Doubleshot for ranged.

The same could be done with Strength.
You could have one line focus on 1H and Shields, one line on 2H.

Heavy Blows: 10% more damage from Heavy fits a 2H design
So add a counter that Light Blows from a 1H weapon are executed a little bit faster than they normally are. Common thing with lighter weapons being faster and heavy weapons hitting harder.

Combo Master - combos deal more damage, fits either, but say it goes on the 1H weapon light
Second Skin would naturally adhere more to heavy 2H weapons and armor.

Berserker could go either way. But with Blood-Mad at 20, let’s say 2H, since it increases your armor.
So a 1H could be a Shield related skill, to make Shields more effective at blocking damage.

Blood-Mad as 2H finale, Crushing Swings could still be there.

The overall point is that you can better mix-match and have more options for a playstyle, if you had 8 perks for attributes.

2 Likes

Yea well that guy must have never been an archer prior. The sum value of archery has decreased just in perks alone. Abyssal bow is still weaker than Void Forge and Khari, add a Bowmaker and a mod then I’ve no idea why shooting endless amounts of weak arrows is good.

Saw that guys vid, he was smokin’ something. I wouldn’t believe every video that you see on a topic.

Still don’t know what the compensation for flattening shot and eye for injury is. Nothing in the max AGI build I made in test live gave me anything that made me feel it was worth losing those two perks. Going back and forth between live and test live it’s clear my live archer is VASTLY more superior at taking on foes as they never EVER get to me. In other words, I rarely am FORCED to go into melee. Being FORCED into melee now after shooting the bow is a net loss, not a net gain, as you could already use the bow to pull as a melee build in live.

Same on live, but you can ALSO knock back, slow and knock down AS WELL. So agreed, they ruined it.

Even stronger in testlive tho. Even without knockdown or knockback.

1 Like

it lost knock down and slow perks, but it’s the most powerful weapon in 3.0. Archery damage is insane. Even if they reduce it to half, it will still be strong.

Abyssal bow is not the best one, but it’s cheap as f… and it’s arrows are good AND when you die, your enemy can’t loot it =)

But i agree with you about having 2 separate trees for melee / ranged

1 Like

Actually this is something almost everyone gets wrong (unless by “range” you mean 10 feet or less)! Bows and especially ancient bows suck terribly at anything over about 15 or 20 feet (5 or 6 meters - max). According to soooo many combat experts and just common sense having handled them, the bow and arrow are indeed primarily a close combat melee-like weapon. I think people get this wrong because of cartoons and those Robinhood movies where they split a bullseye arrow from 200m. LOL!!! Or where the camera follows some hypersonic CG arrow as it whistles through and past 10 or 20 forest trees before it nails an orc between the eyes. Or maybe even some of the more realistic “precision trick shooting” contests and events that in no way represent how the weapon would have been used in combat. Bows up to and about the recurved models are only effective at very short distances! So it is also true of crossbows. A 1000lb draw siege crossbow shot up at a 45 degree angle lands only about 100 to 150 meters away. And to draw them one had to use a hand cranked pully system where each shot took several minutes to load.

LOL, not too far off.

etc.

Of course all this is no fun in video games or movies for that matter… but… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

[quote=“Kholdenn, post:14, topic:198733, full:true”]
“i don’t know what game you are playing…
currently, bow is ridiculous OP. you can kill anyone with 2 shots and you don’t even need the best bow and arrow to do so.”

You must be a PvPer. This isn’t the case in PvE, credible threats aren’t two shotted even with the best bows.

“In 3.0 archery will be more powerful.”

Correction, archery is weaker.

“1- horses are weaker, you can kill them with 6-8 shot. so you can kill the horse before the rider hit you.”

Why would I be shooting horses in PvE? What situation would I ever have to shoot horses outside the tiny community that is PvP? This is a net loss for PvE, means nothing.

“2- you can aimlock heavy attack now. (i know that the best pvpers don’t use target lock, but you being able to do it, lowers skill ceilling a lot).”

Why would I need to aim lock? I will be far enough away where it isn’t necessary as it is on LIVE. OH, again, the PvP. Yea I don’t PvP, irrelevant to me.

“3- you can still kill people with 2-3 shots.”

What people? Darfari? Exiles? You godda be joking. You never twoo shot anything that is a credible threat in PvE. EVERYTHING that is moderately challenging in PvE cannot be shot merely twice with The Reach of the Read Mother, Khari and Void Forge, along with max ACC. AGAIN your viewing this through a PvP lens. Not concerned with PvP.

“4- you have a powerful bow that costs almost nothing and have infinite arrows* (the one you can summon) and when you die, people can’t get it.
*these arrows are the best ones after hollow bone arrows.”

WRONG, this bow is WEAKER (much weaker) than the Void Forge Bow, Khari Bow and Reach of the Red Mother and also cannot be forged stronger by a Bow maker and cannot be modified. I’ve SEEN the stats on the Abyssal Bow. My Void Forge bow on Siptah along with my stats and enhancements to the bow does 41, not counting the arrows. The Abbysal Bow doesn’t come anywhere near this. As far as infinite arrows, I like crafted arrows more, they do more damage. If I make enough for running a dungeon or fighting a world boss why would I need to care about infinite weak arrows? Again, you are speaking for PvP. I am a PvEer, so this is meaningless.

“5- Agility 2nd perk is RIDICULOUs OP. arrows flies as fast as a rifle bullet.”

But cannot knock back, slow or knock down. I’ll take the old speed with the old ACC perks instead, as they do more and I can kite targets.

“6- Agility 3rd perk will be almost mandatory for every build, and for an archer, they are already there.”

I couldn’t even tell the difference it was so minor. Had the speed been a significant change perhaps. But I’ll take the old ACC build over this EZ, son.

“7- with 3.0 as it its atm, pvp meta will be: bow + spear or dagger.
str 20/agi 15/vit 20/grit 5 or agi 20/vit 20/grit 20, something like this
[/quote]”

I don’t PvP. Not concerned with PvP. The is a net nerf for PvE.

2 Likes

Not in my experience on test live. I maxed it out. Especially in PvE situations where you need to deal with high health high threat targets it was better to kite them with the 2 perks that existed before. I guess if everything is low health targets you are correct. But I’m not talking about PvP. This is a net nerf to PvE archers. Bosses will just walk up to you REGARDLESS of questionably and alleged higher damage. Thus mandating you pull out weapons then wonder, why didn’t I just go STR build if I had to melee anyways? They will not be slowed.

The enemy would have reset and healed to full. And you wasted your resources. Prior they would never get to me, because I could kite them. And you don’t really run fast enough to notice. Again, I’m talking about PvE. If you are thinking in terms of PvP, then I got nothing for you. I don’t PvP and don’t play the game for those reasons.

Firespark is even more influential in this game and he says bows suck. So…pick your confirmation bias I guess. I choose to goo by my experience.