A Christmas event should have nothing to do with Christmas

So ever since this Halloween thing I’ve seen people wondering what Funcom might do for a hypothetical Christmas event, with lots of hemming and hawing over Santa, elves, and whathaveyou. Which, I agree, would be stupid given the setting.

But what if I told you that a Conan lore-friendly Christmas event is possible. How, you ask? Just leave out the Christmas!

It’s simple, really. The whole reason the holiday was invented in the first place was to compete with pagan winter solstice holidays, all of which long predated Christianity. And since Hyborian Age cultures are fantasy versions of real world cultures, it would stand to reason that the winter solstice held some measure of significance to at least some of them as well. So, just base a Christmas event around the winter solstice!

How? Uh, I don’t know, that’s for Funcom to decide. Maybe Mitra can ride around on a sleigh and-wait, no.

5 Likes

Maybe we get the Magic update

A sadistic part of me would love for magic be part of a temporary event just to see everyone who wouldn’t stop complaining about it blow their blood vessels when the event ends and it goes away.

2 Likes

Totally agree! While i’m all for a winter solstice event, lets not put any christian BS in - christ won’t be born for a good long while! I’m not even sure if moses has made an appearance. Or Noah! Keep it to the Long Night, and the feast of breaking winter’s back!

2 Likes

It was an age undreamed of; when the oceans drank Atlantis. Actually, sounds like it was around Noah’s time.

okay, possibly noah!

that the Age of Conan ´s Xmas event was nice.

Toss random spawn of deer/elk that have a glowing nose, and drop fun loots. XD

Or work up one of Elk’s to have few new move sets, and make boss out of it and slap it south of Damn in North. XD

X-mas have more to the lore then halowen to do, a yes the original x-mas, midvinterblood! have bean selebrasted sins forever!

But no i dont wana se the modern Coka-cola comersal style if x-mas!

1 Like

Na a midvinterblot

WHO celebrated the Solstice?

Lots of people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice#History_and_cultural_significance

Yet another person prescribed to ‘COKE MADE SANTA RED AND WHITE’ myth… Sigh*

@BarcaS Coke made? Saint Nicholas was around long before coke. All they did was pretty the whole thing up. Sigh*
http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/who-is-st-nicholas/

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions guys! :slight_smile: I think a Winter Solstice event sounds like a pretty good idea, but right now we haven’t decided if we’re even going to do an event. If so it will probably be smaller scale than the Night of Lost Souls.

3 Likes

I would like to craft Santa Armor for the event, even if it despawns when it’s over.

Christmas event:
Instead of flying reindeer, it’ll be flying rhinos… owait… we have those already.

Seriously tho, just having those same meteors as a special event would be nice. Maybe just change the colours they glow: eg, some red and some green for christmas, multicolour for easter, etc.

1 Like

For the near term, until they get their virtual house in order, I hope there’s no further events. I enjoy the game, and see the tremendous potential it represents. But their implementation, and corresponding lack of testing for this event, is evidence they really need to go back to the drawing board when it comes to their internal development and QA processes.

Or just not do another event. Ever. Funcom clearly can’t handle it.

2 Likes