Aiming problem with weapons and tools! Can be a serious bug!

might be relative, just noticed this setting in my game config but its not on the menu?

steamapps\common\Conan Exiles\ConanSandbox\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Game.ini
AttackTowardsCamera=False

That or I would try wiping out the configs and start with fresh ones (ie. rename the folder so it makes a whole new set and you save the originals incase…

I have no such thing in my Game.ini file.

Im guessing this is a PC install… cuz if you dont have that, thats very odd… I started exactly after R33 so I had no prior install or settings. if you had the game before that and now its broken… if it was me I would wipe and move my configs or a full clean install.

you should see it in the [Settings.Gameplay] section

Here is what mine shows

[Settings.Gameplay]
Language=en
NudityLevel=2
floatingNames=True
ToggleDodge=False
ToggleShowHUDDot=True
DisableAutomaticWield=False
ChatVisibilityCondition=2
ShowJourneyStepsUI=False
ShowWeaponTrails=True
AllowFirstPersonCamera=False
EnableAutoFacingOnAttack=True
UseGamepadStyleMovement=False
AttackTowardsCamera=False

What if I just edit the Game.ini and copy AttackTowardsCamera=False into it? I really don’t wan to wipe! I bought the game in June by the way. And yes it is the PC version not console.

You can try that also. When I meant by wipe I mean just move the settings to another location (or rename them) so the game thinks that they are then missing and normally will just regenerate fresh ones. You keep the originals, to put back into the original place, in case it doesnt work or solve the problem. TSW had a similiar issue in the closed beta days if Im not mistaken.

This problem still exists. It affects tools and even weapons. There are times my tools just swing horizontally and will not strike whatever it is I’m harvesting unless it is elevated high (i.e. the item is on a higher elevation than me, then the tools can strike it).

This also affects weapons, as enemies that are shorter in stature like spiders, hyenas cannot be hit by certain attacks. It’s absolutely infuriating seeing my pikes, 2 handed hammer, etc. swing uselessly overhead of the enemy. The only thing remotely viable are 2 handed swords because the attacks like to scrape along the ground by default.

I have a similar thread when it was affecting my Hoar-Frost Hatchet, but it affects other things now.

1 Like

I do not have the ‘can’t aim down’ problem, but i regularly have issues with tools not hitting rocks (no such problem with iron and coal nodes), and i regularly have issues with my weapons not hitting npc enemies and creatures.

This is the aim bug. there is no setting to fix it, only temporary fixes exist currently.

1. Suicide

2. Use a mod such as CharEditLite (more convenient)

Regardless of what fix you use, it will come back until Funcom fixes it.

Aedensin is correct, this is an old bug that creeped back recently it seems. Relogging fixes it as well

I’m new to the game and encountered this near game breaking bug, can’t hit crocodiles or hyenas so for a noob this is seriously off putting and made me rage quit a few times. The fact that you have to re-log or just accept being killed at no fault of your own is infuriating.

WHERE ARE THE DEVS ON THIS???

1 Like

I agree, the bug is still here.

Some never experiment it, while others are plagued with all the time. Like said, it’s realy a bad bug, very frustrating, and making the game nearly unplayable for the person touched by it.

I have a friend reporting it lately to me again. But also if i play with my alt char on my server (through family game-share), my alt is experimenting this bug, while with my usual main character i never had this bug.

I installed Char-edit light lately, and will have to check if there is any change with it. If realy the case, and this mod resolve the problem, this would help to track down the bug still more i hope.

1 Like

For reference, I have been trying to recreate the bug and have found that it happens more often when I exit out of a solo game to the menu, wait a few minutes then continue the solo game. Every second or third time I start the game I get the bug. Exiting to the menu doesn’t fix it instead I have to exit the application entirely for it to correct itself.

got it also on servers, so not only SP related bug.
It’s a bad random bug, what exactly trigger it if ever an event or object may trigger it, no clue. Didn’t see any answer that was realy satisfying yet, still also experimenting with it. :wink:

This bug is triggered by walking around/under trees/tents with a weapon/tool equiped.
It can also happen when fighting tall ennemies like elephants, mammoths etc…
Of course this just a theory, but i really do believe it’s true
It is VERY annoying indeed.

maybe, really i don’t know.

I had one character having this bug since start. So at least nearly unplayable. I didn’t realy care because it was just one char more to test stuff. But yes, you can make one character, and never see this bug, like most my characters i made, then one, wicht is plagued with this issue. What did happen ? Realy hard to tell after.
I should make a serie characters just for that, but it’s bit boring and very time-consuming.

Yeah there is indeed some inconstancy with this bug which makes it hard to handdle/ predict.

And eventhough it’s def not guaranted at all that you’ll get the bug if you walk around trees and tents with your weapons/ tools equiped (there is something complicated and specific with the exact triggering) this is what can cause the bug imo, along with the big size of certain ennemies.
And i have already managed to avoid this bug for a descent period of time (or at least i like to believe it :smiley: ) with the clear intention of avoiding things mentioned previously in order to get my damm altar of ymir upgraded as soon as possible. Because yeah, ymir relgion tool and this bug are NO friends to each other.

Again, only my simple opinion though, i can of course be totaly wrong here.

1 Like

Thanks everyone,
Taking this back to the team to get some input.

2 Likes

PS4 PVP official
I have kind of the same issue when trying to harvest mushrooms with a pick. I cannot hit the mushrooms on perfectly flat ground, I must be on a little bit of incline and stand down hill of them to make contact with the pick.

I still maintain that this is something with the aim-offset and from what I’ve seen it is tied to the player’s skeleton. It seemingly has a 50/50 chance of happening any time you load into the game, whether it’s at start or being killed.

Loading in again seems to be the only way to attempt to fix it either by relogging or dying/removing bracelet. It probably has something in common with the bug where cloth/hair physics will stop working on a character - and that appears to have a higher chance of happening if you adjust the scale of your character during creation.

EDIT: I’ve been meaning to link a screenshot of how the character model looks when this bug happens but admittedly it’s drastically stopped how often it will occur lately, and it illustrates why I think it’s tied to whatever script or blueprint they have for aim offset having a chance at breaking upon character load.

Even in first person the upper body will still move with the camera but when it happens, this is what you get. Normally I play in third person but have a habit of going into first person when loading the game and doing a quick look down.

dying or reloading makes no difference for me. It seems my character hits the ground with the tool unless there is a mushroom there, then it seems like I am too tall and cant hit the ground.