Battle pass feedback

For me it’s very simple, if I can’t get something at some point I’ll relaxe and its ok for me.

Because I don’t insist that everything is changed in my favor.

Precisely because people always want everything at all times and sometimes can’t hold back, our world is so f**ked up.
(But that doesn’t belong here and is another topic)

I find it interesting that only a small fraction resist the BP so much and most settle for it instead of complaining about it all the time.

The tasks are annoying and require time that you don’t want to sacrifice.
I also have to do things in real life that I would rather not do, and I still do them because it can’t always be prevented.

So I will sacrifice my time and indulge in these annoying chores so that I can get what I want in the end.

And I think 3 months is enough time to manage to get everything.

POWER DEMANDS SACRIFICE

1 Like

What does any of that have to do with entertainment marketing? The topic Therryy is talking about. Disney does its vault thing and only releases movies after so many years. Their are Nike shoes that are available only for a limited time. Bini babies in the 90s were produced in limited amounts to drive up collector sales. Moves in theaters are only available for a limited time, so you better go in that small window lest you miss out on that Movie theater experience. McRib at Mcdonalds is a limited time availability item.

The very idea of FOMO drives the entire fabric of entertainment purchasing. Its fine to hate the idea of it. But its not like the concept is new.

5 Likes

No ofc not but what you’re trying to compare here are two different things cmon. Ofc recources can be limitited. But in most cases they’re not actually limited because of the resource they’re made of. They’re made limited for marketing purposes. Please read about artificial scarcity because i think you’re missing a big point here.

3 Likes

I have no experience with a battle pass in any game. At the beginning I probably misunderstood some things, so I’ll just wait until the battle pass is out. But the question arises for me: For example, if I want these 2x1 walls and pay for the battlepass, do I still have to unlock them? I always read here that ‘playing every 4 days is enough’… But within these 90 days it will happen more often that I won’t be able to play from Monday to Friday. Does that mean I can’t get to these walls if I don’t play enough?

The battle pass has 60 levels which progress through exp you earn through the challenges. It is designed that a person who plays 2 sessions of 1 hour in a week can complete them. So if you play 2 hours on the weekend you will be able to work your way through the pass without a problem. Also it’s not 1 hour of just doing challenges. It’s calculated into your normal session of playing.

You can have a “stash” of these challenges up to 4 days.

If you do not complete the pass until the point where the walls are let’s say level 45 however you will not get them.

3 Likes

What therryy said.

Though in the stream and the recap I wrote, it was very clear to me that Dennis and the Funcom team want to make this process easy. There are many other Battle Passes in other games where when they launch, are intentionally hard to try to force people to buy Battle Pass levels (Halo Infinite had a lot of early controversy about this, as a recent example). Conan Exiles is definitely aiming for the opposite of that. While there are options to buy Battle Pass levels for Conan Exiles (there are for almost all Battle Pass systems out there in other games), its apparent to me that Funcom prefers it to be easy and player friendly over encouraging players to purchase Battle Pass levels.

I wrote a TON about the Battle Pass that was discussed during the stream. This includes the level of challenges and what to expect from completing each one EXP wise, and the things therryy talked about. Click the below link and then scroll to the part on “Battle pass Challenges.”

4 Likes

Short answer.

Yes.
If you pay, but do not play, you do not get the item.

However, Funcom mentioned that you could pay extra to skip the playing.

1 Like

Yeah they mention two things. 1, the elite pass which gives you 15 levels, and 2, “buying levels” separately. Not sure how the later works but I suppose one could buy all the levels and then just sit in their base and do nothing(?).

1 Like

BTW, for people interested in the roots of all this and the how a lot of how it all came about, this UO 2018 discussion gives some very interesting insight.

First of all, to make things clear, I know that artificial scarcity exists in the real world. And I also know that it is a marketing strategy that has been practiced for ages. I never said it wasn’t.

I just wanted to make people understand why the fundamental concept of scarcity exists in the first place. “Scarcity refers to a gap between limited resources and theoretically limitless wants.” Because that’s just what it is. And to make it clear that artificial scarcity has no place where there is no natural reason for it.

Maybe you can understand me better now, but as much as I know my luck probably not.

2 Likes

I am and will remain a defender of the BP.

Funcom doesn’t do anything wrong here, in fact they do it better than any other BP publisher.

For me there is also the extra shop, which I personally find positive.

I’m not rich myself, so it’s just great for me to be able to buy something in the shop through the BP.

In the BP you can earn CC and use it in the shop, for me it’s a win-win situation.

A heartfelt thank you goes to the entire FC team.
( ˘ ³˘):heart:

Now you can lock me in the wheel of pain and throw clubs at me. (ノ^_^)ノ

2 Likes

Do we know if any of the Crom Coins will be in the non-paid version of the Battle Pass?

From what this one understood the completed Paid Battle Pass was supposed to effectively refund the Crom Coins that it cost to buy the Paid Battle Pass in the first place. This one would be very surprised if the premium currency appears at all in the non-premium awards section.

Regardless of this one’s own opinion on other facets, that the Paid Battle Pass is effectively a one time purchase is quite benevolent.

5 Likes

So it has no place in all those other industies as well not just in the gaming or digital industry. If thats your opinion thats fine. But you cant differ industries which use artificial scarcity the same way just because THEORETICALLY the resources arent infinite while they are online. Because the jordans are limited out of the same reason the battle pass is.

1 Like

Yeah, I was surprised by that myself. I actually think it’s a mistake - but maybe they have turn-over stats which indicate otherwise - thus only being a charitable or *benevolent" act for the few die-hards who are, will be, and have been playing steadily for years.

1 Like

Behavior has the same modell of batle pass. If you play through the whole thing you can buy your next one without paying again. The thing is this:

People get the coins back through the course of the 90 days. On day 63 there is something in the shop they really like and they see: Oh i have enough coins to buy it! So they go ahead and buy it. On day 1 of the new pass they realize: oh there is a lot of cool stuff in the pass. Lets pay for another one.

So yeah in theory you can buy one pass and play every pass for the next 2849 years. But just a small amount of players will do that. Every now and then someone will have to buy the pass again because they used their coins for something else they like.

2 Likes

They will need a recruitment drive if they want the type of player base that can support their ambitions.

After the twin debacles of the merge-apocalypse and the new report-meta, there will need to be lots of honey to smooth the sting of all the vinegar dousing that has happened of late.
To say nothing of other issues over the past couple of years…

3.0 being a major free update is good for keeping those who have stayed on through the rocky road so far…
But honestly, while the game isn’t dying, it’s also not exactly what this one would call in it’s prime.

The generous Battle Pass may be an effort to simultaneously mollify those who have a rabid hatred of such things, while simultaneously offering allure to departed or new players.

TLDR; Funcom needs to build goodwill to grow the player base if they wish to fulfill their ambitions.

6 Likes

Yes I understand.

However, I see a good opportunity here.
If I buy the BP, I have the opportunity to use the CC from it for the shop, which makes it a win-win situation for me.

I only have to spend money once, but I can have both, BP and shop. (✷‿✷)

3 Likes

That’s fair, depending upon the cost of the BP it might be a significant reward.
Also, a once a season purchase is easier on the wallet than monthly or even more frequently.
If one restricts their premium currency expenditures to what they earn back from the BP, it may be easier to maintain fiscal discipline. Which tends to get faster and looser in microtransaction land.
It’s much easier to notice a $50 transaction than 20 $1-$5 transactions spread across any span of a month or longer.

Edit: $50 was an arbitrary number for illustration
Starry Heavens this one hopes the BP isn’t $50.

3 Likes

As I said before, I really get it.
I compare this to other BPs and I only know of one BP that offers such a possibility.

The CoD BP, there you can also earn coins, but you have to do really absurd tasks.

So I see FC’s current Announced Purchasable BP very attractive.

(•‿•)

2 Likes

Oh I hope so too, but I have to honestly admit that I would be willing to pay 25-30€ for the BP every 3 months.

:v:t4:

1 Like