Cold/Hot resistance with armor

I’ve seen a few posts where people incorrectly say that having a T4 armorer increases the cold/heat resistance for armor. I just tested it and that theory is bogus.
Does anyone have any actual answers? I’ve been down the rabbit hole long enough trying to find facts but i’m only finding people making proclamations that don’t hold true. Searching for things in this game after the huge 3.0 overhaul has been challenging. Most of the stuff I find is pre-3.0 so it really doesn’t do me any good.

1 Like

It likely depends on the armor. I mostly use redeemed legion on EL and it does that. That being said, redeemed legion is a different armor from silent legion. also, epic variants may have higher resistance that’s not always reflected by the preview information, but I’m not sure that’s affected by the armorer used. I believe they only affect durability and armor value, plus the bonuses to the armor depending on their specialization.

2 Likes

Ok so I’m still new to this game and I feel a bit confused here. Redeemed legion requires star metal which can only be obtained in cold regions. I feel like I’m stuck in a catch 22 here because I can’t survive in the north without some protection but I cannot get protection without traveling north :-/
Sorry for the noob questions I am really loving the game but I feel pretty lost like 90% of the time x-D
Thanks for your help with this also. I really do appreciate it.

You can get star metal there (blue cross), not so cold :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the help. I’ve never been that far northwest so i’m gonna do my best!

You need explosive arrows to destroy the star metal meteors.
Then level 55 to craft tools and level 60 to craft weapons and armors.
This is the first thing to do on a server :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are a few spots up there that get extremely cold. So if you know any spicy recipes… take something spicy with you to eat.

3 Likes

Rule of thumb is, the more expensive the armor in crafting, the better the weather protection. You can try and loot Cimmerian heavy Armor from the Cimmerians at the Mounds of the dead. It should keep you warm enough to farm starmetall. Maybe they have some warming food for you either. The Giants will! :wink:

2 Likes

After they revamped how temperature resistance worked, the diversity of available armors in that respect has diminished considerably. DLC armors are now completely baseline in pretty much ever aspect, which means people can’t complain about P2W anymore, but it also means that you have fewer combinations to pick from in general.

I would recommend Kambujan Shaman armor as a protection from cold. A full set of Kambujan Shaman will allow you to traverse the Bridge of the Betrayer without suffering from extreme cold.

Protection from heat is easier to find. Redeemed Legion is one of good sets for that.

5 Likes

That’s my recommendation. looting cimmerian steel is the best option for starting out new. It’s also good for dismantling.

1 Like

And before 3.0 you could set up your stats so that you had a reduction in temperature effects. Now there is no such attribute. 3.0 has come with many changes to these systems.

So even with Redeemed Legion you will experience extremely cold debuff in the coldest areas of the map. Most areas you won’t have to worry but the added heat from alcohols like firewater are good to keep on hand.

Firewater at all in any area where starmetal falls will be more than enough. You can do this naked.

Dragonscale helm is my go to for temperature as it protects in both heat and cold. This is randomly dropped from the Red Mother.

3 Likes

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the information! I have a better idea of how to run this rig so to speak now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actual answer: It does not :slight_smile:

Searching for what? Do you have other questions? :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, forgot to mention, the mistmourn and solspiel shields are great for heat and cold protection. You can literally run naked with these equipped in hand (I have, after losing stuff in the volcano). The solspiel will prevent cold snap when hit by Ymir priests or frost giants. Also, the scorpion ward shield works for heat resistance. It’s not quite as good as the other mistmourn, but it works well enough (I’ve also ran naked in the volcano with this equipped). It’s easier to get since it’s a guaranteed drop from the scorpion queen boss in the silver mine dungeon.

4 Likes

Are there certain times and places where and when you run around naked?
(asking for a friend…) :innocent: :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

For me? Mostly when I die and lose all my stuff, frantically trying to retrieve it. For others? I can’t say. :thinking:

1 Like

For cold resist, there is a single handed sword that can be acquired from a single skull miniboss in the aqueducts northish exiting the unnamed City.
It’s called the Eye of the Watcher.
If it is not a guaranteed drop, it is a frequent drop.

In days gone by, there were more options, but now it’s basically food/drink, the legendary shields (Mistmourn and Solspiel) and a vanishingly small number of weapons.

2 Likes

There is a ton of armor-pieces that only provide 1 point of protection, including the standard heavy set.
Someone mentioned that the more expensive an armor set is the more temperature protection it gives, but that’s wrong in many cases.
Despite being the simplest armor; Coarse armor that you make from plant fiber provide 2 points each. (8 total / 2 bars) This is enough to not take damage if you run at the East side of Eyelet Lake at 12C and continue up to The Temple Of Frost 14D/E. The area before the obelisk, south of the temple, has Star Metal meteorites sometimes.

There are some areas to the west of the path up to the temple that for some reason are much more cold to only wear Coarse armor, but if you avoid them you’re good. If go further up to the east volcano entrance then it also gets much colder before you enter, but around the obelisk and further south it’s mostly fine with Coarse armor temperature wise.

Take a look at this site to find the armor you need:

3 Likes

Yea, I used those a bunch! They have one downside though, they need to be held in your hand to provide the protection so any climbing or anything that requires you putting your weapons away will stop the protection.
I had this drop a while ago though that solves the issue. Same protection as both of those shields but in a single item that is wearable and with an armor reduction kit you can just carry it around non-stop :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll just add too that some of the clothing options have better cold resist than armours. The plant fiber rags for example. A full suit of them is almost double the cold and heat resistance of a basic non-epic armour. If I’m just faming in the snow I’ll just wear them. Or inkeeper’s vestments if I’m feeling fancy, they’re good resistance too.

1 Like