Dear Funcom, please consider helping our modders

Dear Funcom, please consider helping our modders.

The “living settlement” update has been, and continues to be, a nightmare for many modders. And while we know this was not the intent, it has had a devastating effect on many an established and well known (and loved!) mod. And our beloved modders need your help to resolve this issue.

Our first request is that it would really help to allow us to choose which thrall is active in the station. Allow me to explain why.

This is because modders have been kind enough to give us better workstations/crafting benches than the vanilla game ones which force choices virtually no one wants to make or be forced to make a crafthall so enormous that on many servers they wouldn’t be able to build anything else. Not to mention the inordinate size of the base game craft benches to begin with. So to counter this many modders have made small versions of the craft benches and also versions that combine two, three or even more benches into one. It allowed for a better and more efficient use of space and often made better looking and more immersive builds. So, let me break this down for you.

The issue
With the way thralls work with stations now, the workstation can show up to 3 thralls.
With the fact that many modders have merged many stations into 1, too many different type of thralls are allowed to go to the station (And they should, since they are needed for certain recipes) but WE are not allowed to choose which thralls we want to be ACTIVE.

Example:

The (BS) Blacksmith bench:
It regroups certain stations but I will only name those concerned for this example.
Blacksmith bench (Needs a blacksmith thrall to gain the perks)
Torturer’s Table (Needs a taskmaster to gain the perks)
Bench X (I don’t remember the name now that I am writing this lol) (Needs an armorer to gain the perks.)

Now I have 6 thralls in my base.
2 blacksmiths
2 taskmasters
2 armorers

My blacksmith stations decides to place in two armorers and a taskmaster.
But I want my Blacksmith dude in there to craft my weapon. No go. No way to change it.
So our first request is that it would really help to allow us to choose which thrall is active in the station.

Secondly, the range at which these stations pick up the thralls is so very big, so a setting on the station for modders/users to control that would be great.

Right now you have virtually rendered all crafting bench mods useless if not outright broken. So I would ask you to ask yourselves if, in your quest to give us greater immersion and to design things that seem on the surface as if they are designed for the roleplaying community, this was the best you could do or even if it was what you intended. I feel confident that it wasn’t the intent to wreck mods. So please work with us to resolve this situation. Thank you for your time.

39 Likes

Greetings,
I would like to highly support this post as a mod author of a mod that is all about workstations.
I have worked tirelessly these last few weeks in order to bring my mod up to date with all the changes that were made. It was tedious and painful but I was really glad it was all done and working.

Later on, I started to get reports on the above issue. An issue that myself as well as much smarter people than me, have failed to be able to fix in a way that would not remove the new functionalities of the new system that you have implemented in the game.

Are there ways to go around this and fix it? Yes, but all of the solutions removes some of the new functionalities and that is not the purpose at all. I want to work -with- those changes, but I am unable to.

Allowing us to choose which thrall to be active in the 3 slot UI would fix it. It would be really good. Or if that is not possible, perhaps expend those 3 slots to more.
I am not sure what you are willing or not willing to do to work with us on this end, but any help would be awesome, I know your community as well as myself will be very grateful for some assistance.
Thank you for your time and for your consideration.

13 Likes

I support this.

2 Likes

Agreed! This would be a definite quality of life adjustment that would turn Age of Heroes into a much improved level of play for Conan Players across all communities, both vanilla standard and modded.

3 Likes

100% agreement.

[Edit]
Funny enough, that most of our server inhabitants wall in their thralls, because hordes of artisans all too often just don’t fit to the windswept mountain top hermit’s hut or the lonely wizard’s tower. While they are great in a few circumstances (village), they are horrible for most others. Player feedback is … mixed.

4 Likes

Hello! As a longtime player of the game, lightweight modder, and server owner, I would also like to express my support for this request.

There are several mods on the Steam Workshop which expose different recipes through different thralls. Only by slotting the correct thrall can you unlock the recipe.

All around, I think everyone would benefit from the ability to assign specific thralls to specific stations. After all it does seem simply sensible. You captured these thralls and beat them into submission. You’d think they’d be deeply motivated to do the job you tell them to do.

Please, Funcom! Give us the power!

5 Likes

I support this post!

2 Likes

I second this 100%.

Additionally i want to add, that it’s unrealistic for a single thrall to operate multiple workstations at once, "just because he is nearby (like 60 foundations?)

Iirc, and you may correct me on that one as i am not 100% certain, also workbenches forces one thrall bonus to be active when crafting, even if not wanted (for whatever reason)

This Update made Servermanagement as well as certain RP elements such as Professions with individual progression in terms of “worker/slaves” per person unplayable, as our Weaponsmiths now profit from our Armorsmiths Smelter half the City across.

2 Likes

I agree with all the above. Also, as a modder, I have to make workers with a tier higher than 4. My workers completely block the selection of other workers from other mods. It would be great to see not a matrix of three options, but a drop-down list of all available thralls. I would also like to customize the search radius of workers with a workbench. Both with the help of mods and in the form of server settings. Not to mention the problems due to which many artisans spontaneously teleport to the coordinate 0,0,0

3 Likes

This is such an issue on the server I play on there’s no-one online. Everyone’s been using the benches from Shani’s mod, and they’re just wrecked by this.
I’ve done some speed modding to add “shani grade” benches that are specific to the main thrall types, but it’s a bit ugly. (And I forgot cook and torturer’s bench.) Shameless plug: Steam Workshop::TDIRPAssets
But that’s a stop gap at best, because even without modded benches, there’s bench types that take multiple thrall types. I have a lot of cooks, but I can’t get an alchemist into my Fermentation barrel, because the ones I have aren’t showing, just cooks.
Extending the thrall selection widget to 6 or 9 would be a great help. I’ve tried, but the code for the widget is not exposed. The widget is, and I can switch it and get a lovely non-functional screen. But it’s a no go for using it.

3 Likes

This would be an absolute salvation, yes T_T
I get the original design intention, but in general, having the option to pick which thrall goes where would be a major UX improvement - even if you don’t take mods into account ^^

3 Likes

I’d love to throw my two cents in here and say that I also very much support this and hope some type of compromise even a small one can be reached.

2 Likes

+1

4 Likes

+1

1 Like

Absolutely agree! Please Funcom, do some soul-searching. Our Conan Exiles modders enrich your game with such dedication and creativity that it’s fair to say that Conan Exiles has grown on them too! Please make sure that our modders stay! That would be a real Age of Heroes. Because the modders fit this new chapter like no other! They are heroes!

Thanks and kind regards

3 Likes

+1 Please fix this! Choosing an Active thrall from the full list of thralls able to be utilized in the benches and/or increasing the mod slots hard cap of 3.

Greetings,

I would like to echo and fully support the sentiments expressed in the previous post. As someone heavily involved in crafting-focused gameplay, I have witnessed firsthand the impact that these changes have had on both modders and players alike.

One key aspect of crafting in Conan Exiles is giving players the ability to choose which thralls to place on specific benches, particularly Tier 4 thralls with unique perks that enhance armor and weapon crafting. Without the option to select the thrall assigned to a workstation, the core element of crafting is lost. Players invest significant time into capturing and leveling their thralls, especially those with powerful crafting bonuses, and if they can’t control who works at each bench, it defeats the purpose of that system.

While I understand that adapting mods and features can be challenging, I am confident that a solution that allows players to directly choose which thrall is active at any given moment would preserve the game’s crafting integrity. If expanding the 3-slot UI isn’t an option, any alternative method to bring back this level of control would be greatly appreciated by the crafting & modding communities alike.

I want to work with the new system, but without this essential functionality, it severely limits the crafting experience. Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to any potential updates that address this issue.

2 Likes

I’ve been apart of many big servers and I can definitely say this would be beneficial. And the option to turn of showing the thrall would be helpful too in reducing lag. Since the addition of Tier 4 benches where it splits the benches into two categories (fast or more) it’s been a nightmare on servers with big communities. Most servers implement either these mods where we can still build and socialize with other clans or they add restrictions that limit our gameplay quite a bit. The more thralls we have per bench the more these benches get flat out banned on the server.

I enjoy bigger servers as it allows the game to feel more interactive and fun. Hopefully there can be an understanding with this.

2 Likes

Fully agree, we’re also in a broken state and would be very grateful for a fix.

2 Likes

I support this. Please add this functionality to the devkit so modders can work with the current state of things.

2 Likes