Funcom apparently doesn’t understand that the players have at least been its customers

Spieleabend who you meant is a different person that I am, so I don’t need to make up my mind coz I am writting about something a bit diferent if you understood what I personally wrote. Okay, so as people are still doing it on every server it’s super cool to go on every single server now, report them all for abusing building system, and ban 70% of your playerbase? That is okay? If you tell me it’s not, then it’s unfair what happend to me, because that’s exactly what this guy is doing now. Joing new servers and reporting, and meshing himself because normally people can’t be bothered to actually report, as it’s too much effort, yet this kind of people exist and play and managed to ban whole server, and that is a fact. I will report him with photos and video with his mesh, wanna see how quick funcom is really gonna react to that.

1 Like

Yes.

That’s okay. Seriously.

“Everyone does it” is not an excuse anymore. Not after 2 months. Not when there’s been plenty of evidence over those 2 months that Funcom is, in fact, serious about this.

I doubt it’s really 70% of players who haven’t caught on yet, but if it is, then they’ll either catch on or catch the consequences.

Eventually, it will stop being controversial that you shouldn’t grief other people, that you shouldn’t spam around your base, and all that stuff. But if we ever want the toxic behavior to stop being the acceptable status quo, they’ll just have to keep cracking down on it.

2 Likes

How can it be for the sake of everyone ? These 4 Tribes were basically the whole server… the server is dead and empty now xD

Ah c‘com, don‘t be such a nitpicker. I read the rules , you read the rules… you know exactly what i mean but i can be more precise if you treat me like an idiot:

Blocking of content in the game, such as dungeons, obelisks, resources and other areas of the game.

Basically every bush and every tree in the game is a resource… so building a base without blocking one of these things is impossible so when exactly does blocking ressources start ?

Massive constructions or over-use of memory intensive items leading to loss of performance both on client and server-side.

What is considered a massive construction? 100 building pieces? 1.000 ? 10.000 ? Where is the sweet spot… again unprecise. Also certain base spots in pvp require to build a little bit more to make it kind of secure and defendable… does funcom even play its own game ?
Also Base in pvp need at least a little bit of landclaim (minimum 10 blacks radius) of landclaim around the base or others can simply counterclaim close to your base and you can‘t repair it anymore… that is fault of the ■■■■■■ game mechanic not the players fault.

No i really don‘t know why but if you are so sure about it then please go ahead and tell me… this was her Base:

On the Picture with the Altars you can see the Pillar spam of others in the Background… so what exactly is it? I mean the Altars are in the Water so they are not blocking any ressources or is the building to big ? I saw 10times bigger ones already so if that is the issue then funcom can delete 80% of the pve/pve-c servers.

And as Nenneke stated it… everybody does a little bit of landclaim around their base… if that is such a big deal for funcom than they should better close all of their official server or recode their ■■■■■■ landclaim mechanic.

Of course they can make unprecise rules and force their admins to ban everyone like crazy… but that backlashes… these people who got threated unfair will never buy a funcom product ever again. Yes its funcom servers but its also in their deccission how to handle it… or would you say that if you park wrong with your car it is appropriate to get a death sentence ?

3 Likes

Well, funcom is definitely making it unplayable then for their own players. If this pve building is an abuse because Idk the altars? I mean I need to craft stuff from these altars, would be cool if I can craft it all from one, but I cannot, I need to place them all in certain distance, coz they can’t be placed too close to each other. It was on the water, and all around me I had other people’s landclaim for half a year of turned off decay timer on pve-c server where you can’t even bomb it.

Also why people play on pve and pve-c servers, I guess one of the reasons is because they also wanna build something nice what can’t blown up in one day. It does take space sometimes, if they don’t have a nice base on pve and they can’t fight others, what they’re suppsoed to do there? Farm? For what if they can’t build the things they want XD I got a ban for landclaiming flat emptu water and building a palace on it. Should’ve choose a mesh or a resource spawn instead.

3 Likes

Let’s talk about this sentence.
Massive constructions or over-use of memory intensive items leading to loss of performance both on client and server-side.

Reading quite some comments and posts on the forum made me realize that there are a lot of people with different cultural backgrounds and different levels of English reading comprehension here.
A lot of people read said sentence as, “Massive constrictions aren’t allowed” and want someone(funcom) to state what “massive” indicates.
But the term, " leading to loss of performance both on client and server-side." actually refers to “Massive constructions OR over-use of memory intensive items”. Both are the subject in this sentence. “which” would have been the object in this defining relative clause. Maybe it’s easier to understand like this.
Massive constructions or over-use of memory intensive items, which leads to loss of performance both on client and server-side.

One question we could discuss is: When does a structure affect the performance?

From my experience on an off. PVE-C server, every structure that has been build on water takes notably more time to load than a building of a comparable size and detail on land.
And big, high detailed bases built on water do cause lags on client side. I assume it has something to do with the reflective surface.
Those lags don’t bother me, as I’m used to them since the launch of Conan Exiles and they don’t impact my gameplay experience that much. Yet, for some users those lags can render a server unplayable, as I have experienced with my friends recently.
We went to another server, that had a huge amount of player created structures.(Basically all owned by three clans)
I could play there fine and experienced only small lags. For some of my friends, however, the frame rate would drop down to 2 fps. We play together on other servers without issues.

Well, my point is, Nennekes base might not have been too big, but might have caused lags anyway.

2 Likes

The rules are not tailored to your server or its current population. The rules are for everyone, on all servers. If you expect Funcom to care for the fact that almost everyone on your server was okay with the situation, that means you expect Funcom to have an admin assigned to take care of the community on each server. And that costs money. If we paid subscription to access official servers, that would be a perfectly reasonable level of service to expect.

But even if they did have an admin per server, is it really okay to ignore the rules and tolerate spam just because everyone currently playing on the server is okay with it? When I decide I’d like a fresh start, with a new character on a new server, I go and look for a server that looks decent. If I find a ton of spam, I skip the server, because I’ve had enough of that crap. And I’m not the only one, either. People are tired of spam, and they’re tired of servers being slowed to a crawl because someone thought it would be fun to build a replica of Taj Mahal and fill it with all sorts of animals.

Did you, by any chance, mean this:

Because that’s the only rule that has been conveniently absent from all of your complaints about how “anything could be spam”. :roll_eyes:

It starts when you block any resource. When does it become ban-worthy? That’s decided on a case-to-case basis.

Does it lead to loss of performance on both client and server? There’s never going to be a “sweet spot”, because it’s never been about how many pieces you place, but how you arrange them. You could do more damage with fewer pieces, so precise numbers are meaningless and would only lead to more “rule lawyering”.

Hey, I’m not the one who implied that they banned her because “she made like 2 lines of foundations around her base”. That was you.

Looking at the pictures, I can’t see anything that I would even report as a player, except for that pillar spam behind the altars. But I’m neither a player on your server, nor an admin, so I don’t know what happened here.

And that seems to be the real problem. Did they ban your girlfriend for spamming? Did they ban her for building in a way that causes performance problems? Did they even explain why they banned her? From what you wrote, it sounds like you don’t know what’s going on, either.

If you asked them for ban information and they didn’t answer, that’s not okay. If you asked them, but their answer was too vague and unclear, then I agree they should be clearer, like I’ve already said.

But if you say they banned her for a specific reason and you don’t really know it was for that reason, then don’t be surprised when people question you or point out that it sounds like a valid reason. :man_shrugging:

And as I already said, it doesn’t matter that “everybody does it”. History is littered with things that everybody thought were okay, but weren’t.

However, if the land claim prevents you from repairing or replacing things you’ve already built, that should be reported as a bug and they should fix that bug. And if someone is abusing that bug to harass and grief you, then that someone should be reported. They’re not only abusing the claim system, they’re actually exploiting a bug.

Are we really gonna do these hyperbolic metaphors again? This is getting old. You didn’t get a death sentence for parking your car wrong, you got banned from all Disneyland parks because you pooped on one of the rides in one of their parks.

3 Likes

So even if game is allowing me to build in the water, only because it causes performance loss I can get a ban for it even if I am not breaking any other rules? And that is my fault? There is a loss of performance if you teleport to a jungle coz of the trees. You gonna have a loss of performance by any building on the map, and the loss of performance will vary independently for everyone. And either this should be properly specified where again are limits, or funcom should do something to improve the performance and make it work smoother instead of punishing players for this as “loss of performance” leave too much speace for everyone’s own interpretation. There should be numbers, like players cannot build more than a quater of a square on a map, or go further than 20 blocks away from their base, I mean this is maybe not the best solution, I am not getting paid to give them the solution, but the rules are still leaving too much space to misinterpret and confuse players.

Code Mage - I had just few animals there, like Idk 5, the rest were thralls and horses, it was a pve-c server so it’s kinda needed as you still fight there with players. And also depending on a numbers of members in a clan, I am allowed +/- 100 followers being placed there. What you think would happen if I had 100 thralls in this base? Loss of performance? Indeed. And is that my fault? Or maybe we should have a proper said limits to that? If I am by game allowed to place 100 of followers, no matter if fighters or 100 tigers, game is still allowing me to do that, and so game developers and then their own people also ban players for doing what game allow them to. If I wanted to have Taj Mahal filled up with tigers and use it as a base as they can actually check, that will definitely cause performance loss, why then game allow me to do that and then ban me for it….? It’s not an exploit, developers give me certain numbers with limit. And that is obvious and I follow the rule, I don’t glitch and go over this 100.

Just to avoid the storm again, I didn’t even have half of it placed there.

3 Likes

IRL a road allows you to drive fast. Its up to the drivers to drive according the laws.

In real life you have speed limits which are obvious and visible.

Yes, anything anyone builds will affect performance in some way. Yes, the client-side performance will vary per client. However, the server-side performance won’t.

But this whole “everything affects performance” argument is just a continuum fallacy.

They have been doing that. Pretty much every major update has included optimizations and they keep working on it.

However, unlike players’ creativity, software optimizations are not a bottomless well. The more you optimize, the less returns you get from the effort you put into it. Sooner or later you hit the point where it’s much harder to wring an extra drop of performance from the code than it is to tell people that if they have to be considerate when they build on a shared server.

You might want building limits, but a lot of people don’t. There are two major arguments against hard limits for building:

1. They already placed hard limits on the followers you can have and that didn’t produce the promised performance improvements.
  2. Numeric limits for building pieces and placeables will not solve the problem. Like I’ve already said, you can do more damage to server performance with fewer pieces, depending on how you arrange them.
4 Likes

In CE you have TOS you must read, its in your face by the message of the day… cmon please.

Can I get some instructions then how to arrange them building pieces to not get banned please? Like proper ones, don’t send me back to the funcom rules, they don’t specify. I would appreciate it and maybe will get some motivation to start building new base without worry of being banned. As I am not building anything with intention of getting banned. Like I wanna follow all the rules, and don’t waste my time on something what admin will find disturbing. Thank you

And all this server which got banned, so like 40+ people also seem like they don’t understand new rules or they’re not specified, I have loads of messages from players saying that nothing is properly specified, it’s like a guy is asking girl “can I build here and in this way?” and she answers angrily “you must guess” but it’s actually a trap.

I paid for the game and funcom is telling the customers that it’s their responsibility that the game works smooth and doesn’t loose performance :joy:

1 Like

Not from me. I can, however, provide you with one example of how not to arrange them:

Look, I’m going to be honest here, even though it might not sound nice: you seem to think I really care about whether you, or anyone else, is going to keep playing or not.

I don’t. Not one bit. It’s not my problem at all.

The reason I keep arguing here is not because I care about how you guys feel. It’s because I have my own motives: I don’t want Funcom to slap some stupidly tight limit on building just because people couldn’t be bothered to either care for other people on the server or ask for the right thing on the forums.

If I trusted Funcom to not do something like that, I probably would’ve stopped participating in these threads a long time ago. I might’ve argued at the beginning, but then I would’ve given up, because there’s no getting through to people.

Sadly, I don’t trust Funcom when it comes to this, so I’m stuck here arguing with people who end up asking for stuff I don’t want to happen.

Do you know why you were banned? If not, you should know. If Funcom didn’t explain why, then they should explain. As long as that’s not the case, you’re guessing and speculating and drawing everyone into a discussion about your guesses and speculations.

And if it turns out to be because you built a monstrosity that slowed the server down, and for no other reason, then I’m out of sympathy for you. I’ve seen what servers look like when they’re overbuilt. People who can’t be bothered to care whether they’re ruining the server for everyone else should play in single-player, co-op, or on a private server that tolerates that kind of behavior :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I really don’t care anymore what am I banned for, I accepted the fact that we have overbuild and landclaim too much or really whatever.

What bothers me now, is the arguments you use, like “loss of performance” caused by a player is a reason to ban. Or a bit of landclaim around the base so you won’t get trapped by enemy player in your own base for unknown period of time (depending how quickly funcom would react to a report about it). And however I wish to not break the rules I won’t really know the limits, coz the arguments you use are not working the same for every player, and I just simply wanna play uninterrupted and worryless about if my base is okay for the admins, depending on what mood they’re on today, it would be cool to have something you can refer yourself to if you were treated unfair when u tried to follow the rules which are imprecised. Like I am being told now by Mr. Arizer that I cannot build in water because it cause a loss of performancez okay I won’t next time they will come up with something else. Do you understand what I mean? And there is nothing said about these things, and if they really can ban you for this then there should be some information about it I guess, if they don’t ban you for this, then your argument is invalid Mr. Arizer.

It’s not like he has something to decide about it, it’s about the information players get, which like I said are unspecified.

1 Like

Monstrosity for no reason, Idk if a base reason isn’t enough, especially that it was just one base, clan which is building beside me has 5 of such monstrosities which are half bigger than mine. They’re standing okay. And there isn’t really any other reasons to play on PVE server if not building as that’s all you can do there and this game is too grindy for a single player to be changing server every month and build something new. I do agree there should be limits, I just wanna see and know them and be aware of them. With these rules they should remove pve servers completely.

And as long as there is something you dont like, for example like putting limits on building pieces you can use, I think that’s something I would be happy with, at least I will know limits and will try to adapt, but there will be an actual rule I can refer myself to. This solution they came up with is simply not good, maybe there is someone else who has a genius idea how to satisfy majority.

Basically all this in short. I only wanna know how to avoid a ban after the new changes. And as long as any of you cannot do anything about it I really don’t care what you say, and a reason of ban isn’t any of your business, they remove bases but they leave blocked obelisks on the very same server, this is not something you can fight with this is a fact you can’t argue with me about, and I think if they clear bases they should check the map properly for other abuses like also specify their rules which we are discussing here, or do their job properly if they are doing something like wiping the server to make it fair to players, coz your arguments doesnt really work, and the rules are still unspecified and this is what I have a problem with. I just wanna have it clear and not get a ban IN FUTURE.

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed this personally, but perhaps all the extra building foundations underwater also have something to do with it?

I like to build on water, to not take up as much room on land, but also so I can have a cool bathhouse room.

But with the way shores drop off sometimes it takes a lot of building just to get up to the water level

3 Likes

In real life as well, not everyone know how to behave in emergency situations unless they’re being told how to behave. So they can just try to get out of these situations not having experience with it and they can even loose their life in the outcome. I can also be trying stuff in conan but I might loose my account in the outcome too. And that isn’t something I would like. And instead I just wish to be told and properly explained how to behave so it’s clear for me. And as you can see here I am not the only one who thinks the rules are not clear.

1 Like

Hi @OctaviousWrex :blush:
Strangely, this also applies to buildings in very shallow water, where only one foundation is needed to rise the building above the water level.
In comparison, a base, that is five times the size of the big bases on the water I was talking about, does not cause any lags.(for me) It just pops up without causing issues when you ride past. And this thing, trust me, really is a monster. (It definitely does not go down to the amount of building pieces used)

But of course, I can’t tell anything about performance issues on the server side. It might not actually be a problem. I can only speak from my own experience, so this might be exclusively happening on my server. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Do you have any pictures of the foundation spam she placed in retaliation?

If she was banned for this rule:

It might be worth presenting that as opposed to just the base.

2 Likes

Suit yourself. If you neither understand nor care why you were banned, your chances of avoiding future bans are probably not very good.

It’s got nothing to do with the player. Nothing in the rules says Funcom will make their decisions based on which player (or which clan) broke the rules. If you broke the rules, it doesn’t matter if you’re Nenneke or CodeMage, what matters is that you broke the rules.

And for those who will accuse me of nitpicking, it’s important to point out this difference because of this:

…and this:

Stuff like that is why I “nitpick”, because you’re asserting that they were “treated unfairly” depending on an “admin’s mood”, after admitting that you have no idea why you were banned. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes