Help with choosing an alternativ game to AOC

Have been looking for awhile for an alternative mmo to age of conan.
i will not stop playing or paying for age of conan. I just hope for an second game to play, when there is little to do in aoc, and having played our game since release, i need a population to do group content to enjoy. So its basically a few hours primetime i can play aoc :slight_smile:

So can you recommend a game, that is somewhat similiar to aoc (Not conan exile)?
It dont have to be the most popular game, aslong as it is fun and is not high fantasy eastern teamed:)

I have tried secret world, and it was ok, but its little pvp. I have trying archeage unchained, and it is fun, but a lot of grinding. Have tried guild wars 2, but i guess i am not so fan of that game. Tried final fantasy, but for some reason my pc is not good for that game, so graphic is terrible.

2 Likes

I’m excited about this game and have been watching the development updates. Here’s a video peek behind the developer’s curtain.

Something I found interesting was Amazon’s engineering the existing cloud service to accommodate many more players than we’re used to seeing in an MMO. For example, the game may release with a typical population load per server but the plan is to upscale each to approximately 10,000.

Dune is another game I’m looking forward to, and if it’s as amazing expected, it’ll be the best Funcom game since Age of Conan. This is where big equity investments by Funcom should pay off big. The new Dune movie is scheduled for theaters in December, followed by the game release.

[Edit: education projects removed]

1 Like

Is this a survival game?

[Edit: Removed personal projects, and included phrase “open world multiplayer” in brackets after MMO in deference to Funcom’s mysterious Oslo development lab :wink: ]

New World Aeternum is “an open world mmo set in a alternate version of the 17th century that takes place on an island called Aeternum,” Scott Lane (Game Director).
[Skip to 1:50 in the video]

Dune is supposed to be an open world MMO, [“open world multiplayer”] but that doesn’t mean each Dune game by Funcom will be, because it’s licensed for 6-years and a 3 game minimum. An RTS version might also be something for fans of those games.

Dungeons & Dragons? Baldur’s Gate 3 is coming soon (summer 2020 :shushing_face:); a single player game where the NPCs you meet may join and come under your control in turn-based format. I enjoy D&D and thinking through combat; how each decision, and even dialogue choices, change outcomes.

If you’re the biggest Conan fan ever… DO NOT MISS CONAN CHOP CHOP!

1 Like

I have to confess I’m more hyped than I should be for Chop Chop :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Dune is supposed to be an open world multiplayer game. Not an MMO.

Is there a difference between “open world multiplayer game” and MMO?

“The first of the three games will be in the “Open World Multiplayer” genre – a fancy way of saying “MMO” – and will begin pre-production at Funcom’s internal development studio at Oslo later this year,” ~ Chris J. Capel PCGamesN

It’s common to use MMO for MMOG, and/or multiplayer game. Below are some more examples where professional industry writers used MMO covering this game.

“Funcom is Working on a Dune MMO, and Two More Dune Games”
“Funcom Dune MMO is primed to enter pre-production sometime this year, with the development taking place in Oslo.” ~ Filip Galekovic GameWatcher

"Would you like a bit of good news for MMOs? Because we’ve got some. It’s from
Funcom… Get excited, MMO people: This is a six year partnership to release at least three titles on the PC/Console platforms, with one of the games planned to be in the ‘Open World Multiplayer’ genre that will enter into pre-production in Funcom’s Oslo studio during 2019.” ~ Bree Joyce Massively OP

“Now, nearly 20 years on we’re getting a new Dune movie (with names like Dave Bautista, Oscar Issac, Josh Brolin, and Jason Momoa) and three new Dune video games as well… The games will be for both PC and consoles and at least one of them will be an Open World Multiplayer game.” Shannon Doyle MMO Games

Funcom to Create at Least 3 Games in the DUNE Universe Including an Open World Multiplayer Game" ~ Suzie Ford MMORPG

As with nearly all varieties of genre classification, the matter of a specific game’s genre is open to subjective interpretation. An individual game may belong to several genres at once.

Apperley, Thomas H. (2006). “Genre and game studies: Toward a critical approach to video game genres” (PDF). Simulation & Gaming . 37 (1): 6–23. Sage Journals. Retrieved from https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1046878105282278

1 Like

I was under the impression the Dune game was going to be similar to Conan Exiles, not a true MMORPG.

To me it’s just semantics. For a music event some people (including usually the famous performers) will say
“The SHOW” where many people going to the event will say “The CONCERT”

Or the way some of us describe our computers “rigs” or “machine”

To me, it doesn’t really matter- I know what I like and what I don’t like. I don’t like the games where you must pick a server out a list many made by users (I think like Exiles). So many games out there so that.

1 Like

Most certainly. An “open world multiplayer game” is just any game that can be played with multiple people, and has an open world. Games like Conan Exiles, Grand Theft Auto, Minecraft, DayZ, Defiance, etc are all like this.

An MMO is specifically a Massively Multiple Online Game. These come with known typical gameplay tropes of questing, dungeons, raids, leveling, classes, etc, in a World designed to have lots, and lots of random players all playing together in the same space. When you think MMO, you think of things like WoW, Rift, AoC, FFXIV, etc. All standard MMOs.

I think that PC Games article made a bad assumption. Funcom has explicitly stated they won’t do MMOs many times, and I’m pretty sure they even clarified for Dune at some point saying it won’t be an MMO. Sounds like a lot of other news sites just jumped on the PC Games bandwagon and copied that bad assumption.

It is possible I could really be wrong though I guess.

Edit:
Also, here is a more recent article of note: https://massivelyop.com/2020/01/27/the-survivalist-so-funcoms-dune-will-be-a-survival-game-not-an-mmo/

In that case, I will pass. I was hoping for a standard MMORPG in Dune Universe, not play Conan Exiles type game on Arrakis.

1 Like

Hi Zaldar, probably right but…

The only information available [Edit: at the time the articles referenced were published] is from the public filing, which is mandatory by law and everyone used that for articles; anything more is speculation.

What is known?
The licensing deal requires a “minimum of 3 games”, one is described as “open world multiplayer game.” This is intentionally ambiguous but enough to meet the legal standard.

Funcom is seeking more funding; $60-70 million usd. The Mutant Chronicles game was ‘pushed back’ with all resources focused on Dune. The movie hits theaters in December 2020, and the CEO & CFO advised shareholders the game should be ready after the movie.

Funcom has entered into an exclusive partnership with Legendary Studios to develop games based on the works of Frank Herbert’s DUNE, one of the world’s best known science fiction universes with multiple adaptations into movies, games and other media.

This is a six year partnership to release at least three titles on the PC/Console platforms, with one of the games planned to be in the “Open World Multiplayer” genre that will enter into pre-production in Funcom’s Oslo studio during 2019.

Entering into this partnership is in line with the company’s strategy of working with strong Intellectual Properties, allowing for two different vast and well known universes – CONAN and DUNE – to be available for the Company’s games.

This information is subject to the disclosure requirements acc. to §5-12 vphl (Norwegian Securities Trading Act)

Badhoevedorp, The Netherlands, 26 February 2019

Funcom N.V.

[Edit: Above pic was not intended to any person; just satire based on Funcom’s reputation for secrecy and jokes by the CEO at the marketing department.]

1 Like

Whenever I heard anyone call something a “RIG” I thought …

Now, I imagine Jarafin’s computer …

2 Likes

I only dream of a setup like that :smiley:

2 Likes

There is also this press release:

While not explicitly saying something like “This new open world multiplayer Dune game we have talked about is a Survival Game like Conan Exiles”, it does heavily imply that is the route they chose.

Edit: Scratch that, the last Financial Presentation specifically said it is a Survival Game. https://youtu.be/x9QjUllXELE?t=868

1 Like

Incorrect Terms !
MMORPG = Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game
MMOG = Massively Multiplayer Online Game
MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online, which doesn’t even make sense but it is the common term

You see? Nit-picking is not nice.

MMO is commonly used in the industry, as shown by the dozens of professional writers who covered the Dune story. It was my intent NOT to use MMORPG and opted for MMO, because like it or not, that is appropriate, as is MMOG; same meaning. I suspect Dune will fit in ‘survival’ or ‘sandbox’ game, too, but hard to say without more information. Someone has to harvest the spice, right?

“As with nearly all varieties of genre classification, the matter of a specific game’s genre is open to subjective interpretation. An individual game may belong to several genres at once.” ~ Apperley, Thomas H. (2006).

I would think MMO, and MMOG are essentially the exact same thing. There is no appreciable difference between the terms. While MMORPG might be a slight subset of what could be an MMO. But these terms are far enough from and ‘open world multiplayer game’ to have distinctly different meanings.

Techopedia or Wikipedia

“MMOG (commonly MMO) refers to videogames that allow a large number of players to participate simultaneously over an internet connection.”

“MMOs can enable players to cooperate and compete with each other on a large scale, and sometimes to interact meaningfully with people around the world. They include a variety of gameplay types, representing many video game genres.”

You and I agree, the gaming community recognizes MMORPG from World of Warcraft, Everquest, AoC, Rift, etc., and in my opinion, it would be misleading to call Dune a “TRUE MMORPG”. (Zaldar 2020).

I also agree with Jarafin; this is semantics, splitting hairs, etc. I find it irksome because where I live we call this “nit-picking” and it’s considered a low form of discourse.

*Note: I’ve re-read the thread and your comments, which were made during the time I was writing replies to others. Maybe I misunderstood you. Perhaps, if you have a link or something it is cool to reply to the people asking the question and not rebuttals at those trying their best to help out; just a suggestion.

“Everything isn’t for everybody.”

1 Like

i never found a game similar to AoC in any way, i tried many of them, and AoC is unique, i hope to see it reborn someday.

Currently im not hyped about anything, but my interest went to Mortal online II. I can not recommend Mortal Online, because it’s an ugly mess, but it had many amazing ideas, and its setting was nice and very conan-like, with a bit of fantasy.

The new world sounds interesting too, but it has too much fantasy for my tastes, at the end seems very generic with a 17th century skin over it, also, is not the first barroque themed mmorpg in the market, check Granado Espada

Just yesterday, Mar, 26, Last oasis launched, which doesn’t look so bad, but so far i think is just a gankfest.

Right now i’m back to AoC, having fun leveling an unconquered character and playing it now as it was my new main, i know that this game wont receive any major update soon, maybe not even a little one, but no other game made feel like AoC did, and i love it for that.

1 Like

Check out the new game “New World”. Looks very promising

1 Like