How long since you last rode your horse?

Good. How about players from EA period who remember what it was like when there were no map rooms, no climbing, no Frozen North, when you couldn’t explore the Skittering Cavern because the spiders at the entrance would stack 10 poison on you in seconds and by the time you managed to kill the last one the first one you killed has already respawned?

This whole nostalgia trope from a handful of EA players is getting old. I played back then and let me tell you, the unfinished game was hopelessly broken. What we have now is orders of magnitude better.

So they introduced map rooms and obelisks because there were no mounts. And now we have mounts. So what?

“We don’t need map rooms because they were introduced instead of mounts and we have mounts.” They were introduced when we didn’t have mounts as a mode of fast travel. They do not serve the same purpose as mounts, so it doesn’t follow that they’re obsolete. Their purposes overlap, but they’re not the same.

Mounts don’t replace map rooms. If the devs implement the mechanisms that make map rooms obsolete, then yeah, I would understand arguing that map rooms could be removed. And even then, there might be reasons to keep them. Just like having both serpent-men spears and dragonbone spears – variety, tradeoffs, etc.

I don’t really expect you to change your mind, because people rarely do. But the least you could do is not derail multiple threads by bringing up the same topic, for which there is already an established, active thread.

And if I may offer a bit of advice, do take a second look at that thread. I know you posted there once, but it seems you might benefit from reading what other people argued. I might not agree with them, but at least they had actual arguments that pointed out what they think is problematic about map rooms. You know, something that they think is detrimental to the game, as opposed to “well, we don’t need this anymore”. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes