So what do you think about horses?

Got mine yesterday… Tried my jousting Arena, killing some NPCs and then I ran to Sepermeru, where I found a T4, so I had to run back by feet…

Today I will level up my thrall and honestly, I doubt I will raise my horse to Level 20. It was not really fun and I dont see reason why to use it.
It nearly died jumping off somewhere…

In cities/camps its practically worthless. If you want to knock someone out, it even blocks you/stands in the way…

Missing roadsystem or not seeing them at the map (compared to Red dead redemption2), is also kinda bad for the purpose of mounts…

And dont get me wrong, Funcom did a good work compared to RDR2… but that map there is really big and you have streets… so it made sense there.

And lets not forget: you could have people at the back of your horse, but you cannot use the rope at the horse in Conan…

PS.: Tried with silent Legion saddle. Maybe other saddles make more fun for horsing around?

I had a fairly easy time in camps with my level 6 horse and a spear. (Not lance) I think the key was to move carefully/sparingly and not gallop and collide with everything. I haven’t tried Sepermeru or a notably strong t4 yet but with a lvl 6 horse… you won’t find me charging in the volcano just yet.

I’m really liking it as it’s a whole new playstyle… and charging with a spear is very doable and I like the timing aspect of it.

2 Likes

Mounts are probably the best thing that could happen to Conan.
If your not in alpha clan or to much of a hardcore grinder and you can not afford a map room, horses are a good way to get from A to B especially early in the game and even with a map room they are still usefull.
Combatwise I think they are more useful in PvP.
There will be probably more improvements later on.

2 Likes

LoL

The riding is fine as far as riding in games goes. The horses, well they suck. All other pets, you don’t get a greater, you throw it away. There is a reason, they have no survivability and that’s where horses are in this game. You can’t get a greater (that I know of) and the base pet version is just too feeble.

Yeah, as I wrote the riding itself feels not so bad. Will try another saddle, maybe its faster then…

@Candle I should also try a spear… only tried with heavy lance…

But it would be really great to be able to have a knocked out NPC on the rope/horse.

2 Likes

Bro dont be upset you lost your horse! Try again they are decent even killing t4 is just a matter of getting used to it! I went with my new horse chased noobs around the place then went and slayed the whole of asgarth…follow by undead city bosses …

Carry a spear ,pretty OP when you make everything bleed with every hit , if you fall off and you cant get back on run away a little do he follows you then mount it again! Also if you gonna fight , you can charge at the beginning but after just walk so you dont hit yourself of everything. Good luck

3 Likes

I’m liking the mount system so far, some aspects of it more than others. This is all from a PVE(-C) point of view, since I don’t play PVP.

It took me some time to get used to mounted combat, but I found it fun, at least for weapons like swords, axes, spears and such. The difference between a light attack and a heavy attack adds an interesting choice I have to make.

I’m ambivalent about the lance. I haven’t tried it in an NPC camp yet, but I used it against bosses and it’s frustratingly hard to use. It really shouldn’t be that hard to hit something as big as King Rhino. And while the damage at full gallop is noticeable, it’s not really high enough to compensate for aiming frustration. I might revise my opinion after I try riding through an NPC camp with a lance, but so far it looks like I’ll be using it just for jousting with other players.

The controls can be physically painful for me. I type and use mouse all day and the fact that riding and mounting combat require so many things to be pressed and/or gripped at the same time is very uncomfortable. It would be awesome if we could have autorun binding for horses and if they would add a binding that would switch between “drive with keyboard and aim with mouse” (as it is now) and “drive with mouse and aim only forward” (as it works for running on foot).

As for the visuals – the model, the textures, the animations – I really suck at noticing details, but even I saw some weird things. For example, while wearing Yamatai Demon armor and riding on a horse with a noble saddle, the saddle kept clipping through the armor in such a way that even I had to notice it. Also, I wish we could dye the saddles.

Some aspects seem very, very rushed and half-baked. Light, heavy and medium saddles require different materials to craft but they perform exactly the same. The saddles in general have a little description saying if they’re for defense, movement or speed, but those differences are not big enough for me to notice. The armor value of all the saddles is exactly the same, which confused me to no end and brings me to the next point.

The way the armor works is weird. Apparently, the armor value a horse has is not derived from its armor (i.e. saddle), but from its agility stat?! Honestly, I would expect the armor value to come from the saddle/armor and the agility to influence other things, such as maneuverability.

Likewise, it’s not very intuitive how taking damage affects your health, the horse’s health and the horse’s stamina. It’s… weird. I can get used to it and even take advantage of it, but it confused the crap out of me.

That’s all I can think of right now.

Today was the 1st day I logged on and I’m curious where to find the ponies. I didn’t see it noted in the update post.

Are the roaming all over the map or in specific areas?

I’ve found several foals in the area around the newbie river. I’ve heard others say that there are other foals in the highlands.

1 Like

Around the noob river near the Shattered Bridge, I found a sturdy foal (Poulain robuste in my game) just when I arrived there from my sawn point with a new character. Single player / Coop game, though.
How many different foal can be found in the game ?

1 Like

Foal, Sturdy Foal and Swift Foal, so far.

1 Like

Unfortunately i can’t really reply.

I’m a left-handed player and usualy I bind most of my keys to numpad and arrows. But I can’t remap horse’s movement controls. Moreover the sprint input is different from the classic one which increase the difficulty to use the feature.

Nevertheless I spawned one horse with admin tools ( I play solo). Visuals look good, animations seems fine too.

Horses feature seems really interesting, I like the idea that they can level up and be renamed. But actually I would prefer to have the possibility to remap their controls.

1 Like

I’ve been a thrallin fool lately, plus leveling so I have not taken the time to get to a horse yet. I have 8 of them cooked and I just made three boss saddles. In fact, had I gone out for a ride today I’d have missed a Ymir Archpriest. Which brings me to the follow-up question:

If you have a thrall on the rope and a horse on Follow, will it do trample damage to your roped victim?

Hey, fellow lefty! :slight_smile: Good news, there’s a workaround for that:

1 Like

I think Funcom did a fine job with the mounts. I got a chance to try them on a friend’s rig today and enjoyed the experience. Aside from the relaxing ride around the map, a level 10-12 horse, don’t remember exactly, handled well in battle and negotiated all terrain nicely.

2 Likes

I have to say i love the horses. Though i think that is because i play on a modded non official server where i can bring more than 1 thrall with me. so i can mount and have help and be a commander on a steed and sit back sending troops into battle with my bow. There really is a breeding aspect to these horses. You have to look at their stats and what they gain as they level I have one horse that adds 150% damage to my bow damage. I beat the crap out of world bosses kitting them with my horse or playing commander. You also may need to train up quite a few horses and get good traits before they are truly worth it like the universal warrior one that adds +3 to all stats. I have no problem taking on a t4 with my spear and my horse and if things start to get dicey i just gallop away.

1 Like

My thoughts on horses?

Looks nifty, but because of the thrall limit I can’t try one out. Won’t buy DLC.

3 Likes

??? Do something about it then… stop blaming others . They are not forcing you to buy anything (so it’s irrelevant to post that)

1 Like

Sorry. Was it my fault they implemented drastic and sweeping changes? I’ll make sure to blame myself the next time they nerf the game. :grinning:

It’s irrelevant to post on a forum? Could you give me a list of the things that ARE relevant to post on a forum? :grin: :grin: :grin:

3 Likes