Is the Perk RNG really as intended?

Well I can’t argue with that, particularly as my heart is not really in defending complete randomness of perks (hence the devil’s advocate part).

1 Like

I can understand that inconsistent peeks may be related to realism of thrall progression. First he got nearsighted, then, overcoming difficulties, learned to aim that fuzzy spot in the distance better. Not nice to see in a game, but let’s assume.

What I can’t understand at all is when a fighter thrall gets archery perks… while not being able to use a bow. Sure, he got three archery perks, but he’d never let loose a single arrow in his life and will never learn; give him a bow and he’ll be stupidly standing and trying to stare enemies down. Well… at least he knows the theory, I guess.

If you ever feel weird about some FUNCOM implements just remember they put a +Accuracy trait on one handed axe.

“Funcom, the inventory management is a mess. I can’t find my axe!”

“Hmmm, maybe if I give the axe some accuracy bonus, it will be easier to find? Because, it is now, you know, more accurate?”

“FUNCOM~~~!!!”

That’s probably because some accuracy perks are ( or were) useful in melee combat.

Example. The armor penetration perk.

Fighter thralls can use bows. I just had to point that out because I’m a pedantic cuss :man_shrugging:

Now that is out of the way, I am rather salty about the perk RNG, because I started leveling my first thrall recently and the RNG screwed me over royally. My thrall’s first perk was Jack of All Trades, which I quite liked. Now, due to the exponential xp requirements, it took me as long to get her from level 10 to level 15, as it did to take her to level 10 from scratch. Guess what perk she got at level 15? Marksman. :rage:

Sure, she’s still a beast of a fighter and she’ll be even beastlier when I get her to level 20. And she’s not the only thrall I’ll be leveling. But… come on :frowning:

Fortunately, this was already reported as a bug and the “suggestion” to fix it will be relayed to the devs:

Someone suggested in the chat during today’s Funcom live-stream that we should add an execution feature to the game, so we can execute our thralls instead of watching them disappear into thin air. I think it might be quite satisfying, if not a bit morbid, to watch the thralls that acquired the traits we don’t like to be executed.

Okay, that’s a funny suggestion :laughing:

It also made me consider a new use for my Arena: kite and trap a boss or two in their designated Boss Pens, bring a thrall whose stats I dislike, strip him or her of all the gear, and then release the boss(es).

Damn, I can be a sadistic bastard sometimes… :frowning:

I think they said around here that warriors getting archer’s perk wasn’t intended…

The worst part about the Accuracy and Strength increasing Perks and really the Stats themselves is that they only mean anything when comparing a thrall to another thrall of the exact same Faction/Tier/Class (Class may not matter but I hope it does).

Saying that a Nord Fighter has 50 Strength and gets a 87% Melee Bonus whereas a Voltaires Fighter only has 40 Strength and a 62% Melee Bonus doesn’t tell you how hard either is going to hit since you don’t know their Base Damage. I suspect that the Factions have different Base Damage numbers, just as they have different Base Health numbers, and I would hope that Fighters and Archers have different Melee vs Ranged damage but that may be a pipe dream.

Nope. ^^ Not all of them. That’s the whole gist. You can find fighters of both kinds, it’s random - some can use bows just fine, some can’t. I ran into fighers that can’t use bows, no matter what I do. And no, even being same named figher is not a guarantee, they still can get different AIs (I have RHTSs of kinds that can use one-hander, and of kinds that can’t for instance).

This is definitely a problem. And it’s slightly worse than what you described – even within the same Faction-Tier-Class category, there are unexpected differences. For example, compare Dalinsia Snowhunter to Cimmerian Berserker. They’re both from the Forgotten Tribe, they’re both T4, they’re both fighters, they start with the same base attributes, but their starting health is different :confused:

Some fighters if I give to them a weapon they don’t like, they look at me like Shrek’s cat to give them their favourite weapon back. So I can’t imagine a fighter with a bow right now (and I don’t have enough)…

I did not know that. I know it might be a lot of effort, but could you perhaps point out which named fighters that can’t use bows, so I can avoid thralling them while the perk RNG is bugged?

Better avoid them for now…I only hope that they will fix the RNG for perks soon

I do think that it was a thing even before the last update, but I can’t really say for certain. And post-patch… that’s the thing, I suspect that it doesn’t depend on name of T4, and something varies between instances of same T4s as they’re spawned (just like with one-hander - two identically named fighters found in same spawn point were different in that one could use it and one couldn’t). With bows, post-patch, I had, I think, a Relic Hunter Treasure Seeker fighter refusing to use bows (which was a pity, I tried to use him as such precisely because he leveled into an archer stat- and perk-wise).

I created a Post in Bug Reporting that mentions the Berzerker, he ends up with the Archer Base Health and HP per point of Vitality. I’m pretty sure that is a mistake. Beastmaster Tamos has a quirk as well, and the Darfari Archer stays are way off (there is only 1 non-Purge archer so I’m not sure if that is a Class problem or Character problem).

I haven’t seen any other specific Thralls that have stats outside their Class (at least not the stats we can actually measure), but if anyone else knows of one please update that post or this one, or send me a message and I’ll add them as a specific problem.

I haven’t really collected much data on Dancers or Bearers, nor on any Purge thralls, as my main concern right now is getting guards for my base, but I may look into them in the future.

Oh, and I’m pretty sure that any deployable thrall can use any weapon. There is a bug where switching weapon types (1H to 2H) causes them to sometimes bug out and not use it. Probably the same thing with bows, but I only really notice it when I try to switch my fighter’s 2H weapon for a truncheon.

There are a bunch of work-arounds that may or may not get them to use the weapon, I haven’t found a single one that works every time, but if you put the weapon on them and wait for server reset they should be ok.

1 Like

Thanks for the trick - I definitely will try with bow and server reset, would be great if it works. :slight_smile:

No problem, let me know if it doesn’t and I’ll give you a few other tricks that work sometimes, like placing the weapon on the thrall’s head instead of in their weapon slot, but reset is the most reliable.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.