LAVA damage is beyond joke!

, ,

I know it has been mentioned before in several treads but I feel like I need to mention it too.

The LAVA damage on Thralls is just a joke.
I mean they can literally facetank a bug Queen full poison blow no problem, that is btw kills me in less than 1.2 sec, however I can run trough lava without taking very serious damage but if a Thrall gets near to it… well pretty much GG.

I just lost a Thrall yesterday in volcano area, and his wasn’t the first Thrall we lost under the same circumstances.

I feel this needs to be fixed. I really hope they will do something about it in next patch.

4 Likes

The game is way too easy as it is. Lava is working as intended and should be insta death. The idea you or your thrall should be safe in a volcano, while walking through lava, is just down right ludicrous.

11 Likes

Oh nothing wrong with lava insta death and I did not ask a safe walk in lava, my point was that compare to how much damage a player takes and how much the Thrall is not balanced. If Thrall dies insta the player should die too don’t you agree?

Also compare to how quickly a player dies when gets poisoned by bug Queen and the Thrall just takes it right in the face like a p…n star is what you should call ludicrous, not my idea of fix an issue in the game. Come on mate don’t be like that, don’t trow around harsh words like that for no reason.

2 Likes

Thrall should be immune to lava. They dont follow the paths and run directly into the lava. I have stop bringing any thrall there its just bad developing they will never fix.

9 Likes

Easy fix would be to put navigation blocks on the lava so thralls don’t consider stepping on it as a walk-able path. And with easy fix, I mean, as an unreal dev, it is very easy unless they messed up their logic badly.

2 Likes

What I did yesterday after I lost my Thrall is that I practically carried the new Thrall, keep placing it to guard.

I hope you guys understand me what I’m trying to say
It’s a pain in a bumm but that is a solution for now, until it gets fixed. Maybe one day.

1 Like

Not really… thats not how lava works. Its very dense rock in liquid form… granted you would burst into flames being near it… so even getting to lava would be hard as hell. Falling on it, is like butter on hot skillet skipping about. XD (hot enough to melt diamonds)

You’d mostly float/skip across top since your much lighter then lava.

Gameplay wise… you should burn touching it, so you can back hell out of it… The instant death was BS, since gameplay wise, it was touchy as hell half under ground or some odd ball ledge your pinky toe touched and you fell over. XD

Honestly…considering how much Lava is about, No one would be able to walk there with out a full suit of heat resist armor that doesnt exist in this universe. =p

Thrall damage is pretty high… I tend to use pick up and place feature a lot there. Player damage could be a abit higher… But not a instant kill. It such a touchy hit system… the 1shot wasnt even fair half time. Also it was funny to watch enemies argo and waltz into it. >_>

Gameplay > Realism =3

Cause bursting into flames almost instantly would make area very not fun.

7 Likes

That’s what I did yesterday, we even build some ‘‘bridges’’ made out of foundation but still Thralls just walks off it into lava, and than GG off you go :slight_smile:

I usually take unwanted thralls/pets myself… I dont feel as bad for pets. XD

1 Like

collateral damage lol

Since you might be new to the forums, let’s first rehash the aspect of this conversation that has been repeated ad nauseam: if your follower dies while fighting an enemy or because an enemy pushed it into lava, that’s your fault as a leader; if your follower dies because the AI is too stupid to find a path that doesn’t take it through lava, that’s a bug.

The ideal solution would be to make sure the path-finding always works correctly. Sadly, it’s been 3 years and this still isn’t the case. The cheapest solution is to make followers immune to lava and fall damage under certain circumstances, e.g. when following you and not engaged in combat.

I hope this explanation will make the complaints clearer and help you stop defending a bug.

14 Likes

@CodeMage what about underwater dungeon, same issue? Do they die there?

I don’t know. I never dared take a follower there. The few times I went there, I soloed it.

1 Like

I’ll do some research on it than.

1 Like

Is lava damage a joke to you?!

No sir! Lava damage is very serious health and safety concern

3 Likes

they are fine underwater, also, just build a bridge over the lava place ya wanna go before bringing ur thrall ;]

2 Likes

How presumptuous on so many points.

1 Like

Followers have a tendency to drown entering or exiting the Sunken City area…to boot, if they do make it to the SC, they don’t follow you while underwater. Dungeon is therefore a solo task, so leave your follower by the rowboat before you enter SC.

He does have a point, though. The unfortunate fact is that unlike most players, our followers lack the good sense of not walking into lava. It’s like walking with a small child in traffic - the child is not aware that dashing across the street is dangerous. If the child gets hit by a car and dies, it’s “working as intended” because the laws of physics are working properly when it comes to the combination of mass and velocity projecting force into the object with which it collides. That doesn’t mean we should let children play in traffic and die.

So we should either teach our children not to play in traffic (ie. update the thrall AI so they know to avoid lava) or make moving cars safe for children (ie. stop lava from causing damage to thralls) or put fences on roadsides to stop children from running onto the road (ie. add movement-blocking elements to lava-side so thralls can’t accidentally wander in). Or the parent should carry their child so they can’t run around freely (ie. carry and place the thrall at safe spots), but that becomes unpractical at some point.

Yes, lava should kill people who walk into it. But people, including NPCs, should be smart enough to realize that walking into lava is harrmful to your health.

5 Likes