Lightning Storm should not do building damage

The reports are not wildly exaggerated… I’ve already seen it used with my own eyes on at least 12 separate bases on different parts of the siptah map. There are far more people making these claims than there are people whom agree with you. That should be telling you something.

As far as reagents go no… you didn’t make a very good point as to why it should remain the same. Why would anyone go through all the effort to make dragon powder to access bases now when you can use LS? It renders the Trebuchet completely useless by comparison. Now the only use for explosive arrows or jars is to attack a very specific section of a base. But honestly i’d probably rather waste 10 more LS just to see if I could get it to break that specific chest or vault or whatever.

Now let’s deal with your ‘lore sensitive’ argument for the reagents. So human skulls and alchemical make perfect sense for making lightning but DRAGON powder doesn’t? C’mon, get out of here…
We’ll see how much damage lightning strikes do once it actually get’s ‘fixed’. Until then, they should deactivate the spell in a hotfix.

2 Likes

its also the perfect tool to wipe all the solos in one night lol

3 Likes

I think he’s saying that those things need dragonpowder because they’re chemical explosives. It’s science. Sorcery isn’t science, it’s completely different alien cosmic horror shit that runs off human death and suffering. It sounds like you’re just suggesting dragonpowder because other raiding stuff uses it. but it doesn’t fit with the logic of the setting at all for sorcery to use it.

1 Like

I get what he’s saying and I responded to it further down. My argument to that is why would human skulls, thick leather and alchemical base summon lightning storms? It’s equally as ridiculous as saying dragon powder.

No, it’s not because magic doesn’t make sense. That’s what magic is, something that doesn’t make sense according to our knowledge

…okay. So based on that understanding why wouldn’t a fictitious material such as DRAGON powder be an acceptable reagent to create lightning?

I mean I guess it could. We could both come up with fancy reasons why it would or wouldn’t in universe. But the real reason is that the devs have designed sorcery to be a totally different thing from religion and alchemy. They obviously don’t want to mix them too much.

Everything has a cost. The cost of alchemy is farming. The cost of sorcery is corruption. I’m not saying it couldn’t be better balanced. I’m saying that it’d fit better with what the vision seems to be if it was balanced by changing the way it affects buildings or making the corruption more crippling. As it is it feels like the corruption isn’t enough of a downside for the power of sorcery. But it’s early days.

1 Like

Because “DRAGON” powder has absolutely nothing to do with dragons… or magic… so I have no idea why you’re emphasizing it as such…

It’s essentially a lore friendly name for gunpowder… and aside from demon blood and fancy stuff some of the ingredients actually resemble real life… for example brimstone is basically sulfur, which is one of the ingredients of gunpowder… obviously you’re not gonna get an exact real life recipe to make gunpowder in a videogame set in a fantasy realm like this, but you can see where the creators were going with it.

So yes, just like @Firecrow pointed out, things using dragonpowder are more along the line of precise scientific achievements, while things using… human skulls in this case… are more along the line of dark arts / magic and summoning localized storms…
As a side-note interestingly enough the effects also seem to be following that pattern, explosives allow your precision strikes, while magic apparently is chaotic and can destroy your random stuff along the way

This discussion however is completely futile, since if the developers agreed with you then the spell would be using dragonpowder already… it’s not like they created whole new spell ingredients “by accident”… they clearly agree with the above distinction as well.

1 Like

Let us be honest, they don’t care about raids. They have travelled the road of mature minecraft in a Conan setting as their ultimate goal. Not bad nor good, just fact.

1 Like

I’m not defending anything. Just the opposite. I just offered raw statistics and then said it’s all up to them - bug or otherwise.

The Funcom person in this thread is the lead designer for the entire game and his name is Dennis:

He also never used the word “bug” as you claim either. :wink:

Yeah, that’s just silly thinking on your part. In reality if you had it right, you would have probably said something like: “They don’t care about keeping raids the same as they were previously - the way I personally would like them to be.” And yes, they are making changes. :wink:

1 Like

I’m replying to @Mozzie because I think they’re right: sorcery needs a meaningful cost. For now, that meaningful cost “analog” would be Dragon Pow. But what about Corrupted Stone? That’s always a pain to crank out ad hoc.

2 Likes

i just tested it with my tribe mate in single player it doesn’t matter if it is foundations or (honeycomb triangle or square) it takes out the same range ( a 5-6 foundation half sphere) of structure regardless of stability and tier it goes down 5 foundations from the top of the structure. if it is a tall pillar of structure it can hit on the side of the structure as well and do its sphere elimination on the side dropping anything above it that isn’t stabilized as well. The Sphere of the destruction is so strong as well it will one-shot any tier of structure from sandstone to black ice, so in theory, with bombs not doing splash damage (& reduced damage) anymore you might as well build a 25-layer thick sandstone building and you will get the same defense as 25 layers thick t3 building.

Also, we tested the range of the lighting storms bolt through cave entrances… it goes through the entrance hole like 10-15 foundations in depending on the hole( and will even zig-zag around corners), and then does its huge sphere of destruction. I have even seen it go through the top of the structure on the Gutter on exiles and destroy a ceiling base with the raiders just standing outside.

(THE MATH)I make my honeycomb independently supported with 3 layers of t3 structure in the space of one foundation so at say 10 bombs per t3 structure each block is 30 dp to get through at 5 levels to make a small hole is 150 dp for a 5x5 sphere is 25 blocks = 750+ dp/bombs per lighting storm spell… spell takes like 5 minutes to farm up a leather pouch, 750 dp is about a 4 days of farming and cooking just saying.

As a possible solution I believe you need to remove the spell to do some further testing and look into eliminating the splash damage, as well as making it hit only the exterior structure.

1 Like

Teally, what has been done for raiding in the past 4 years to address offline raiding meta, easy repair when online defending? Nothing. Because they dont care. The game is about building and collecting, with very optional pvp, and non immersive raiding.

I don’t feel you are having an honest conversation. The ‘lore friendly’ argument you are trying to make sounds more like a distraction than your real problem with my suggestion which is you want the lightning strike to be easy to cast, not having to work towards making a difficult reagent. That’s really what you want without discussing that directly.The argument I was making was the reagents to cast lightning should require much more time and effort if it’s going to cause any building damage whatsoever. All of this is a moot point though because I think it’s obvious you don’t play PvP very much, if at all.

Thank you for your testing data. The issue with the 25 layer argument is if you’re going to raid you would most likely have both jars and lightning ready at the same time. That’s how we raid.

If we’re throwing insults then I don’t feel like you’re having a particularly intelligent one…

No… the “lore friendly” argument was not an argument towards trying to make the spell easy to cast… it already is… heck you can get bottled versions from the battlepass that need NO reagents… My “lore friendly” argument was simply pointing out that the material you picked I find to be inappropriate…

I really think you should keep these types of assumptions to yourself… or provide some evidence as to what I said that even remotely implies that… spoiler: nothing

Then why did you not suggest simply that? Instead of putting dragonpowder in the mix… You could’ve said… hey, make it cost 10 leather pouches instead of 1… I’d be fine with that FYI

All of this IS moot, because you seem to have the same conversational ability as a brick wall, so this is my last reply to you!
Good day!

For sure. And it’s already a sorcery thing not an alchemy thing. Or how about black blood? Make you choose between lightning storm or black blood arrows. I just think dragonpowder is appropriate balance wise but not lore wise.

750 DP is an almost impossible amount to achieve for casuals or solos, unless everyone leaves them alone (lol).

Like @Biggins keeps saying in all these threads, the actual problem is that people’s bases can be easily wiped when they’re offline. The only difference now is that everyone can do it to everyone. We’ve all got nuclear capability, not just the big fellas. Now everyone has to tread carefully.

What do nuclear states do in the real world? They don’t instantly have a nuclear war, that’s pointless. They communicate and agree not to use their most powerful weapons on one another, and they have a cold war or fight low level conflicts. What do terrorists with powerful weapons do? Make demands.

People arguing that LS is too easy to craft are arguing to keep the power to offline wipe anyone at will only in the hands of large and/or hardcore clans. Even if they don’t realise it.

1 Like

No he didnt use the word bug, but he stated what it should do… and it does clearly much more than that.
So yea its a bug.

And honestly its very worrying that they didnt take the spell out of the game untill its fixed

This hurts solo´s way more than anyone else…

Why do you think that? Nothing’s changed for the worse for solos.

Take it from me, I’ve been playing solo on official PVP for years. Any base I’m able to make while under pressure on an active PVP server can be easily wiped when I’m offline by anyone who finds it. Even another solo if they want to dedicate some effort. This is the reality solos live with already.

What solos couldn’t do before (but now can, supposedly) is wipe large bases. Like big or experienced clans already can.

4 Likes