New Anti-Stacking Fence Foundation Limits in TestLive 2.8

Cool, thats why there are no walls or other building materals in this game…oh wait…

1 Like

I mean defending as an ongoing play style.

It’s like if bows were more powerful than they are, everyone would use them and it’d be an archery game. If buildings aren’t easy to raid, everyone spams pieces and building and raiding becomes a grind.

1 Like

So you mean a survival game then right ?

This is not a battle royal game.

This game is a survival game with the ablility to build defensive stuctures . Why would you build a defensive structure if was not to defend you and your belongings ? Defenses are supposed to waste a attackers time so they will go attack someone else or go home without your stuff or killing you !

4 Likes

Freak out the neighbors? You should have seen the look on my neighbor’s face when I finished building the balista tower next to the driveway. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I’m not getting through here :man_facepalming:

Look there’s no point arguing with me, I’m just suggesting that FC may have ideas about how they want the game to work that don’t match what current players are used to or expect. Just putting a possibility forward.

To answer your question though, what if FC envisions the defensive buildings as a mostly cosmetic thing? Or like armour? You can wear all kinds of armour, but you can’t just wear 280 sets of silent legion on top of each other to waste an attackers time.

It’s not survival. It’s a survival game, and I just think from a devs pov you don’t want anyone feeling like their time is wasted or they may as well not bother.

2 Likes

Yeah, ask DICE how that’s been going for them.

(hint: Not well.)

2 Likes

But if we ask RockStar the same question I guess we get a different answer?

In a survival game you try to survive.

How would the players who are defending feel if their defenses that take days to build are removed in less than a few hours ? Would you not and most anyone else feel like from the defenders pov that their time was wasted ?? And should they bother rebuilding and get the same soft defense while at the same time taking twice or longer time to do it than the ones deleting their efforts.

The devs are not paying the players to play their game it is the other way around and I would figure that the devs pov would be to make a game that players would want to play. I would hope that the devs would not on purpose drive players away.

2 Likes

I agree, I think most players would prefer a game where it doesn’t take days to build and hours to wipe. But I think you and a lot of other players are assuming Funcom would or should design in favour of builders and defenders. I think they’re more likely to design in favour of attackers so that everyone is always on the offensive, and building defensively is of limited effectiveness so not really worth it. Because if it takes days to build and days to breach? I think only a very small subset of players are going to find that exciting, and so the game won’t have broad appeal. A game where building is just one facet of the PVP meta instead of the defining one is of much wider appeal.

edit: Also, it only takes days to build on PVP. You can make a cool-looking building the size of a typical PVP base in a few hours or less if you aren’t worried about people wiping it. This game was clearly not designed purely for PVP and it shows in lots of ways.

edit again: OK this is basically what I’m gettng at: if you use the building system like a PVE player would, yeah you get raided a lot but the bombs and time invested in building are more balanced. PVP becomes a fast moving game of raid and counter-raid. If you use the building system the way current PVP players do, it’s a boring grind-fest for everyone, and I personally think Funcom has noticed and started to take action to make it less so.

3 Likes

Some good points and something I’ve noticed as well…

People keep saying “days to build and hours to wipe” but that can’t be true… Or I’m the fastest slow-ass in the world. With just two Level 60 players you should be able to build an enormous 10k piece castle in about 3 or 4 hours.

• Plan for the wipe (keep a pickaxe and some repair kits - whatever else).
  • Make 10 of each bench (one T1 bench each at first) - if you didn’t plan and save them,
  • One guy with an encumbrance build starts hacking mats and feeding benches,
  • The other guy start making the pieces and planning the layout.

It shouldn’t be that hard. By myself I can build a 5k base and all the benches needed (x2) in about 6 to 8 hours and I’m not even trying to go all that fast. Eldarium and other mats take much longer but you can plan for that by hiding stashes of those kinds of things here and there - even including the needed benches to rebuild if you’re thinking ahead. And a 5k base is pretty massive! Like 20x30 - three stories tall with balconies, nice roofs, doors, gates, draw bridges, etc… Palisades are kind of slow so maybe keep a stash of those as well - if you use them. But just the basic structure - even with double-thick walls…

Why are people saying this takes them multiple days? Maybe with fence-stacking it does, I wouldn’t know - it seemed pretty tedious when I was testing for this thread tho - so maybe that’s the difference?

And all that above isn’t even very good strategic play. If you’re the type of clan who’s always on-line during PVP hours, you could have all your important items in specific chests and one player designated as the escaper. When the pooh hits the fan, he grabs everything, sneaks out the back, and hides till PVP hours are over. Then he already has the 10k building pieces plus all the other important bits, and rebuilding the base takes only one man one or two hours.

1 Like

We say it because it is true. We are also looking at the comparison of time between attacking and defending effectively . Currently attackers have the advantage hands down.

You even admitted that your plan included a mats carrying escaper who runs away from the structure again admitting that it is a foregone conclusion that the defense will fail and you have you stuff outside the structure to protect it from theft !

1 Like

How can it be when I by myself, can build a 5k massive complex in abut 6 hrs (almost) from scratch? Even drinking coffee, watching youtubes, or working on the CGFX I do for money, in between when bored. You guys just can’t really be that slow because I’m really not that fast.

No, more like just in case. But sure, let’s say it’s always going to be the outcome, I don’t see the problem. A capable clan chose you that day. They’ll choose another other days, and you can choose them tomorrow. I doubt that’s how it would turn out but if that’s FC’s vision for PVP play would that be so terrible? Sounds identical to what happens in ESO!!! The difference is that in ESO you “build” the bases by repairing the flag positions while defending the area from attackers - and if we’re talking about 2K bases then the time needed for either is just about identical. So, this pace and vulnerability is already established as working well and being popular in other games (it’s not just ESO either).

Honestly, if you don’t see the problem it is pointless to keep trying to explaining it .

There is no seiging in this game only easy smash a grab.

No offline protection.

Buildings go up like tissue paper.

Bottom line: safer to hide in a hole with your stuff than to build a “stronghold” to “protect” it.

1 Like

You are taking a lot of shots here and really coming out OK, and your opinion is very elucidating. You make PvPers look good, and I understand your viewpoint. HOWEVER

We used to have balance. It was very simple, and it worked. Many of the really long-timers just want to return to that.

3 Likes

But you haven’t explained anything really… Just some hyperbolic swipes and a few terms bandied about like they’re supposed to mean something important.

Even if true, what’s wrong with that?

Most PVP games with land control dynamics do not have “offline protection”. In fact I’ve never even heard of such a thing till CE. If I were to take a complete outsider’s POV that feature sounds like something RP Doll House w*mps would request. “Waaa, they broke my dollhouse while I was offline… waaa… make them stop mommy…”

Tissue paper huh? So no need for bombs and gods then, just punch through with your fists? I haven’t tried that yet, I’ll test it and report back.

Wait, what? You want to be safe? I thought you wanted to play a PVP game? I’m confused! Long term protection of strongholds is out! The memo was sent. Open your inbox brother. A new dynamic is upon us.

2 Likes

Trolling response through and through. You even added the waaa crap.

Sorry nothing meaningful can come from responding to you further on this topic until you have more to offer than this shameful reply.

Disappointed.

1 Like

Well, you can either embrace, adapt and overcome or join those who fear change and cry for some facsimile of “how it used to be” “in the good old days” “when men were men” etc. etc.

Meanwhile FC is changing things up by the looks of it. I guess for the better given some time. And all the old farts whining about it doesn’t seem to be affecting them. So we can either assume the new dynamic and play it or cry in our beers… Yeah, sorry to disappoint but “waaaa” seems to sum it up fairly well. I’m sorry if me not playing armchair game designer with you is disappointing somehow, but come’on there has to be a point where we accept the reality of the situation. And that reality is that FC is changing things up - like it or not. It’s done! Stacking it out!

Instead of crying for the past, we should totally be making plans for the future… Figuring out the best strategies given the new dynamics. Cuz, they are here to stay it seems.

My only gripe with them is that they also seem to affect PVE in odd ways. But even that is not such a huge deal.

It’s possible that they want to balance pvp defenders vs raiders but right now biggest problem is who is stacking vs none stacking.

It’s one thing of building single layer foundation in stone vs another in 3 layer black ice.

One funcom would never try balance thought out because game was design in that defensive layer.

Now how can fc balance when stacking is around. A they have keep it in mind which means if ur not stacking might as well never bothered upgraded to t3.

So they have remove stacking because 1 it was never design to do that, then once u remove stacking.

Then you can balance out because right now, balance based on certain things.

Space it is built and hp of that space. Stacking counters this. Doors where kept weak because stacking. 75k wall but 25k door.

So removing stacking is not fc way saying they want every be raided with no hope.

They couldn’t find how two balance when stacking was aloud because who stacks had huge advantage over people who didn’t.

3 Likes

If this thread actually posed a question, that :point_up_2:t6: :point_up_2:t6: :point_up_2:t6: would be my choice for a solution. :wink:

Funniest line of 2022!

2 Likes