Obelisks and map rooms begone

Stone is everywhere, and the 50 enc spec a dream that will fade out eventualy, sure it’s a comfort to be able to farm whatever is on the map regardless of his position in a couple of minute, but that kindof destroy the purpose of an actual game desygn intention that is : Ressources are suppose to be tied to certain place so the player have to travel.

I do hope that funcom will consider fast travel regarding the economy rebalance (now with mount for that) and prey set that they remove maproom and replace it with an heavy corruption cost spell in a future sorcelery update (tied with a lovely mystery of stygia dlc ? plz ?)

Edit : If you look at the original map room in the unnamed city, i can clearly see it becoming usable for some corruption

1 Like

Allow players to have a mount and another thrall/pet with them, and you have a deal. As they are right now, horses are mostly fluff content and not practical in the gameplay sense. There’s no “serious” gameplay to be had with them; bearers are better for transporting, and anything else is better for fighting. The increased runspeed is marginal in terms of how it actually improves the gaming experience outside of roleplaying.

2 Likes

The game already has an economy, so we are not talking about magic here. The point is that the maproom is preventing natural trade and movement on the map form happening.

Now you are forgetting stuff, he said that the Momentum was one of those perks that is not good for the game play but people want to hold on to it.

I am not attacking people, they just sounded sad to me. Like, they were literally whining about it. Saying some on is sad is not a ad hominem attack. You also forgot that i explain why they are wrong.

You are just again not understanding what i am trying to say.

Dude, then you properly stopped listening :rofl: Half of the people properly also did that after your last post :joy: :rofl:

Creating traffic on the map and yes this helps with player interacting with each other and sometimes creates conflict. It makes the world less dead and that is a valid plus.

When it takes longer to get some resources then it opens op for trade in the existing economy of the game.

It also changes the base locations and makes some things to do feel more like a real quest that take some planing and time. This gives things more value.

Yep, i share your opinion.

Stone is a strange example, maybe gold and plant vines is a better example of stuff that could be traded. You use plant vines now for horse food. like something like that.

mann i hope they make a now map tho or expand the current one :slight_smile:

The game has an economy in the sense of cost of things and the impact of that cost. It doesn’t have a market economy and, again, there’s no guarantee one will appear just because you get rid of map rooms.

Did you read the paragraph before the one you quoted? Here:

Do you see how I acknowledged that he said he disliked the 5th encumbrance perk? Do you also see how I said that how he didn’t say what he wants to do about it? There’s a wide, wide gulf between “Alex dislikes Momentum perk” and “let’s get rid of map rooms and obelisks”.

Calling people “sad” has other connotations and meanings, apart from the literal one of being in a sad mood. I misunderstood your intent.

I don’t see how you can accuse me of forgetting your explanation, since most of my replies to you are critiques of that explanation :wink:

What “half of people”? From what I can see, there are 4 people (including you) in this thread in favor of the idea, 7 people (including me) against it and 1 who is relatively neutral. Of the 4 in favor, only 2 – you and Bourgmestre – have been the only ones offering any arguments. Since Bourgmestre replied to my last post, I guess you could say he really is “half of people” in that context :wink:

Unfortunately, the arguments offered all boil down to “we want people to run into each other more” and “people will start trading”. Nobody bothered to address any of the concerns, unless you count wishful thinking, or being dismissive, as arguments addressing concerns.

Honestly, if the world looks dead to you – to the point of wanting to force people into creating traffic – then you either have some very specific ideas of what makes the world look alive, or you’re on a server with low population.

Whatever the case here, I’m gonna stop trying. It’s pretty clear what the consensus is so far, and it’s also pretty clear that those in favor aren’t interested in having a real discussion beyond “want this, don’t care what problems it causes”. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Big truth. On foot with a follower feels much more engaging to what the game is than on horseback.

1 Like

The map did feel a lot bigger till they added mounts. Mounts or no mounts people will build very where and you are right random encounters, ambush at way points and that sense of danger were all there before mounts. Not everyone wanted mounts nor does everyone use mounts. Leave the map rooms alone.

This is why every thing gets nerfed in this game, people say oh we do not need this, we do not need that, then it gets removed then 6 months later everyone is wanting it back, there are many of of us do not spend our times riding around on mounts, we enjoy the fun of the game of exploring. The lvl design counts just fine the way it is.

I for sure do not want to take a horse up north for the wolves or sabers to munch on what took me 4 days to grow and another 2 days to train to level 20, for me the map room works just fine for trips for getting thralls or resources much better then a horse.

Map rooms could use a bit of a over haul and be made a bit smaller so as not to make you have to build a huge base just to have a map room or shrines for that matter could be smaller but its not those few map rooms you find on servers that give the server lag its the hundreds of thralls and the spamming of foundations all over that make the servers lag.

Maybe we could suggest they be smaller but getting rid of every thing is not the answer, enough gets nerfed every update now.

Most of the servers I play on do not even allow players to place map rooms to they are truly pointless to me. I couldn’t care less if they were removed. They are huge and add to server lag and reduce player interaction. But, I am not going to say that someone else cannot use them, it’s not for me to determine that.

The map room is not stopping natural trade no more then mounts will. As you not port with a map room to your base, to anyone’s base only to certain areas on the map how can it harm the economy?

Really you think not having a map room will change where people build their bases as it will not, each of us have an area we enjoy more then others and no map room, no mounts not even the purge stops us from building there. Removing map rooms will not change how or where people build or how they interact with others.

So keep map rooms and get rid of mounts, there is an idea. Mounts just make it so you can run by all the bases and not stop anyway or are you going to stop in to visit everyone on the server to say howdy, you can do that by using a map room to get close, then run, walk just have a nice journey though the wilderness as you make your way from map room to your destination.

The thing is, just because there are mounts does not mean you need to get rid of map rooms, but if you really want interaction with other players do not use the map room, do not think there is a rule that says you can not just run every where that way getting lots of interaction with other players.

Damn, it’s not about getting rid of something but about use it in a diferent way.

Now that mount are the comon traveling way, obbies teleportation should be a sorcery spell, this way it would decrease it use and give it a meaningfull impact on the game as well as more sence in the diegesis

Sry my friend i disagree with the removing idea you have. I love the game the way it is plus i want personal obeliscks to be added and be visible to the map room. Merry Christmas

1 Like

Are they? I rarely see them on our server, and usually only the same two guys. At any given time, there are 30 players on our PvE server.

Just because it’s the method you prefer, doesn’t mean it’s the method a majority prefers. It might well be, but other than the first week, I haven’t seen it. However, I wouldn’t presume to say “everyone is doing this” based on anecdotal evidence.

Since we don’t have sorcery at the moment, this suggestion, or demand, cannot be fulfilled. You can’t expect something that does not exist to be used.

So, let’s get unscientific. Which way do you get around the map?

• Horses
  • Obelisks
0 voters

Having only horses as an option to get around the map would be a death knell to any sense of community on Official PvE servers.

Not only are obelisk-side taverns staple meeting and hang-out spots, but maprooms and obelisks are the only way players can reasonably make it to each others’ bases in time to assist with purges. If we had to ride a horse, not only would it take longer, but many areas of the map would be impassable – especially now that T1 and T2 fences were inexplicably made anti-climb after 2 years of people using them specifically for when they DO want to allow others to scale their walls!

Additionally, even if we could arrive at someone’s purge in time, what then? We deploy a brand new thrall from the saddlebags and let the horse teleport home?

@Agnusthemagi & @Bourgmestre: Not everyone plays PvP, nor does everyone want to play the same as you do. Many of us are about fed-up already with Funcom disrespecting our time and dedication with drastic and seemingly arbitrary changes to core gameplay this long after release. :imp:

3 Likes

at least make it can be disable in server options.

1 Like

I’m fine with keeping both, different people have different playstyles.
I’ve never used or built a map room never teleported, probably never will.

I like the horse,
I don’t use it for mat farming.

I don’t expect other people to be forced into my way of thinking.

Let people play however they wish.

6 Likes

I think you over-dramatise those change since we can both agree that before it wasn’t that good, regardless of (the boring and unfonded war between pve & pvp since it use the same game mechanic and therefore have the same isue) the mode. Sure it’s not perfect today aswell but starting to nerf our char is a good step that i hope thrall will walk aswell. I love that the sand queen is back on buisness being scary and dragon are more fun fighting aswell.

Now for that combat changing hurt those who spend time since gamelaunch enjoying it, i was used to the previous combat system, being a huge chivalry fan, and had pictured another paint with it back in the day.
But hey guess what, i didn’t take it as a crime agains playerbase, because i know despite mistake funcom is trying hard to entertain us, and i respect them for doing it with everyone spitting on them.

So maybe it would be time to look at the game as what it is and what could be enhanced rather than what could we keep as a comfort.

May sound rude and do apology for that, strugling to put my words together x)

Yeah, that is also clear to me. It is also okay to have different opinions :slight_smile:

This is the server im playing on:

After the wipe there is a lot of people playing, so no it’s not dead. However, you don’t run in to people that often because we are all using the teleport maps.

I do wish there could be an option to limit the total number of maprooms a clan could drop, and make it so you can directly teleport from obelisk to obelisk. That would eliminate so much of the “maproom spam” that we see on servers where you have them sprayed around every obelisk for convenience.

Mmh i wonder what prevent them from use it, maybe because there is a better way with no backdrop around ? Who know^^

Mate we are in the suggestion subforum, of course it can’t be fulfilled but hey, that’s why i suggest it ? So sorcery may happen like horse ^^

Oh also, i don’t believe in vote as a good way to represent people & idea, so i didn’t vote

Of course i use both, but that doesn’t prevent me to find the maproom way too powerfull and think it would be better if teleport was usable by other mean that would reduce his impact and strenght over the game.

Kindof like thrall (but that’s a debate for another time^^)