Obsidian no longer makes any sense - its not viable for use as tools or weapons

500 obsidian plus 100 steel gets you 100 composite obsidian. This takes you 15-16 minutes to make at the forge since it takes 10 seconds per bar.- that’s 15 minutes of totally wasted time.

Repairing an obsidian pick with 1/4 left of health takes 11 composite obsidian. obsidian is now useless due to the repair costs and the production cost of composite obsidian.

Devs please explain the logic of such player punishing due to crafting and repair costs.

I’d like to understand how these costs make sense since they are so high.

With the repair costs such as they are on a pick I loose 30 minutes just to craft the composite obsidian so I can collect mats for building.

Why did you not adjust repair costs down on obsidian instead of leaving the costs the same as when it just used normal obsidian?- where was the logic in that?

7 Likes

Obsidian tools now have the same durability values as every other endgame tool set. This makes them cheap to repair even in light of the change to composite obsidian.

It should also be noted that tools made before the patch will still have their old durability values, but will use the new values for repairs. This means that players will need to craft new Obsidian tools if they used them before the patch.

3 Likes

Obsidian was previously the best and plain easy mode. The change is good. Obsidian is still way too easy in my mind.

4 Likes

I can live with having to craft obsidian bars but having to go to the volcano each time and just sit there and wait for bars to craft is just absurd. It’s not good game design to make players basically afk for extended periods of time.

8 Likes

I do agree there. The crafting times are obnoxious and literally just force you to sit there and wait. Especially annoying since you can’t craft the bars with multiple crafting stations (the way you can for literally anything else that’s mass-produced).

3 Likes

this change was long coming. The only thing that cancels the obsydian stuff from equation (for me) is the fact that the obsydian bars are only made in the volcano forge…way too much time for them to cook and it is easy to die there. I swapped to acheronian pick which is nice and quite easy to repair in blacksmith bench

2 Likes

not true my hardened steel picks are way easier to maintain and do not take as much time to maintain. They also were more durable. So I guess taking a slight hit on resource gathering is what I have to put up with. Obsidian was always less durable than hardened when it came to gathering.

1 Like

I said they are now the same durability as Star Metal and Acheronian tools. 650 durability. Only new Obsidian tools will show the new durability value.

1 Like

apologies I read it wrong. Well this sucks then if you have to retool but its still a heavy cost to maintain compared to other tools with having to run to that forge battle it out and then waste time having to make composite is too much,

Having hard time understanding why it as so hard to go in and change the durability numbers on the old stuff players already had. What’s up with that? That line item so hard to find?

1 Like

So right now everything obsidian can be crafted ONLY at the obsidian forge? :thinking:

1 Like

No, only a piece of the required materials needs to be crafted there. Obsidian can be crafted anywhere else.

you can craft the weapons and items at your table but you need the forge to make composite obsidian which takes 5 obsidian and 1 steel to make i bar of composite obsidian.

Composite obsidian bars take 10 seconds to forge in the volcano per bar. This means it takes you 15 to 16 minutes to forge 100 bars and you will have to fight a re-spawn at least once per 100 bar forge. we did 160 bars and had to do two re spawns in that time it took to forge 160 obsidian bars.

so 15 minutes per 100 bars and having to waste time clearing.

Did a test with new durability of the obsidian picks with T3 tool enhancements against the hardened steel ones with a t3 tool enhancements. The hardened steel one is easier to maintain and you get similar numbers mining ore almost. Obsidian seems to only get one more per strike on average. For some reason the hardened steel seemed to last longer.

The acheron pick with enhancements brought in 400 more ore over the obsidian pick even with it having less durability.

in the end it takes 3 shaped wood and 15 composite obsidian to repair a pick fully and a hardened and acheron pick each cost 15 hard steel and 3 shaped wood to repair.

The time consumption on gathering materials to be able to repair is ridiculous for the obsidian pick. They killed it like they killed the black ice pick.

1 Like

I will never understand why people don’t use the master repair kit to repair their tools …

BTW. You guys should also check the harvest damage for each tools (if they didn’t change it). For each tool there is a specific best material.

3 Likes

They are adding in a lot of hamburger helper in this game to keep us going.
Its not just obsidian they are padding out.
They refuse to drop the cost of t3 stone building as well.

Now it will take even longer to mine the 150 stone per foundation you need.

Use a legendary blacksmith to repair it. Costs 7 bars. Considering a guy can clear New Asagarth and surrounding areas in about 20-25 mins to get 300-400 steel, run to the volcano, smacking all the obsidian along the way, then go to the forge…about 30-40 mins later and you have enough composite obsidian to last you for a long time…

Yeah, its not hard.

1 Like

I agree with this. Especially because other poeple can interact with the forge aswell and steal the stuff, and player has to watch for respawns.

Tedium itself is not a good ingredient to include in materials

4 Likes

At the very least speed the crafting up…please…I can deal with the other stuff…sheesh

1 Like

Well…
We just crafted 400 bars of composite obsidian…
That was fun.
OP is correct 10 seconds per bar = almost 17 minutes per 100.

So close to 70 minutes of action packed depression and near starvation and thirst with them whacky consumable timers.

Had 5 respawns of the big fight while waiting… Well if the boss didn’t glitch into something, maybe the stairs?, during the first fight. Which made it extra thrilling.

All we had to keep us entertained was the 16 minute respawn of the 3 serpentman guards. The NPC followers wouldn’t even attack us.

The only other thing we had to entertain us was the logging off and on to try to get the forge to display the progress.

Funcom, please for the love of crom make it craft quicker, or give us something to do while we wait.
Anything…
I don’t know…
Some sort of serpmentman follower orgy or something

6 Likes

so 65 minutes of game play for 400 composite of which you can chew through 100 gathering ore and rocks in no time.

Yeah its not that hard staying on a gerbil wheel I guess racing for mats and loosing game time you could be doing something that might be a little more entertaining than whacking rocks for an hour,

Ok I guess you must have signed up for the gathering part of the game and it suits you to waste your time.

They should really move the composite bar crafting to a normal blacksmithing station and only make you go there to craft the actual weapons.

Make the composite bar recipe only available after you learn the recipes to craft the weapons and that’s all.

I suppose they did it this way because that item should technically be crafted on a furnace, but furnaces have no recipe list. Just put it in the blacksmith and be done with it.

1 Like