Purges should be removed until they're overhauled

on the line of H8 and G8 above the river

Sooo…

I’m not your regular forum guy but I’d like to make a contribution to the whole ‘‘help my purges spawn on my roof or in my base’’ situation. This in a way that it also happened to me and I’d like to post an extensive explanation, WITH screenshots and all, to give the DEV’s something to work with.

So. I signed up, verified my email and started on my reply to this post.

Then I came to a contradictory situation. When I got to a point where I wanted a screenshot in the post, I got the following message (and I’d like to post a screenshot of it). ‘‘Sorry, new users can not upload images.’’. I’m assuming this is to counter the trollolos, but yeah. Don’t know how to progress from this point on.

So @ Zeb, Let me know when I CAN upload screenshots, so I might be able to give you floks something to work with.

3 Likes

alright, I’ll work on that tomorrow than.

1 Like

Still can’t upload images… Basic user now.

Welcome to the forum Niellos. Give it a little time. Have you attempted to post on a couple different threads? This might help to speed up the process for you.

2 Likes

If you’re able to post links to imgur or elsewhere, I’ll be happy to re-post the images here in a follow-up. A few weeks ago we had a problem with someone attacking this forum and site, so things are a bit tighter these days. As just another forum user, sorry it’s impacting your reportage.

2 Likes

I would like to see the base. I haven’t seen any purge like the one described by the OP yet, where the base wasn’t either exorbitantly large or built without accessible foundations. Surprise me.

Can finally upload images so here we go,

Platform: PC
Server type: online PVE
Mods: nope, none.

Litle heads up. This will be a LONG post so bear with me.

Love the game, LOVE the purge.

First I’d like to take the time to talk about what the DEV’s say the purge means.

The DEV’s quote (according to Wiki):

Two things that stick out to me.

1. ‘‘NPC’s will be sent into the exile lands’’. When I got purges that spawned on my roof I did not hear a plane cross over my head, nor did I see any parachutes lying around or corpses with wingsuits…

2. ‘‘you should definitely take the time to build up your defenses’’… With rooftop/in base purges spawns, that would mean palisades in every room and on the roof, and put all storage and crafting stations on the front porch.

Now for the more detailed explanation concerning my purges that went ‘‘wrong’’.

First base location I build a propper starter base. (you’ll see the location on the second screenshot).
This one I could have predicted it could happen but who knows.

The building on the right came first (1), then the altar in the back (3), and the building on the left was built third (2). Everything started with sandstone of course. Upgraded it later on to a mix of T2 wood and brick. Building on the right is mainly crafting and storage. Building on the left is ‘‘the house of pain’’ (2 wheels of pain if you did not guess already) and the ‘‘cooking/basic food storage’’ area.

The altar is connected by a small walkway with the 1st floor of the right building (5) along with some stairs leading down the back of the building (6). The building on the left was built separately. MOST foundations are on one level except the ones leading to the front door (4). these form a set of stairs towards the door. Only the building on the left has 2 layers of foundations down (don’t like ‘‘floating’’ foundations).

This was it for a week or 2. Had multiple purges. Mainly ‘‘A cackle of Hyenas’’, Lizards about 2 times and bugged rocknose purges (Might comment on this in the future).

All of these purges spawned away from my base on 5 different locations and they were walking to my base.

This is grid i-5. To avoid any confusion, I just took this picture and had to take it in single player. So yes, the altar of Yog is on a different location and where Yog should be is an altar of Ymir. Don’t mind those.

The X’s are the locations the purge’s first wave spawned. 4 of them are fine but if you’re familiar with the location than you’d know it’s sort of a platform. The X between me and the Altar of Yog is ON this platform. Not in the river running below.

The O on the river is a location where a newbie had build half a base. When he or she found out that someone had already built on top and wasn’t able to expand, it was abandoned (jeej free weekend). I was in a wave of a purge that spawned on one of the X’s but when I thought it was over, I found some hyena’s having a blast on his or her base. Not sure if that building was targeted by my purge, or that they just thought it was a quick snack when they passed by it on their way towards my base, but I didn’t mind.

So purges were going great. Got good T4 Purge thralls out of it and a life’s supply of hide.

THEN… I decided it was time to expand. So I crafted a bunch of T2 wood and brick stuff to keep the same style and started building.

To get an idea of the layout of the platform on grid i-5. As I’m standing in the frame, the other buildings seen in the first screenshot are to my south-west (give or take).

The sharp-minded among us are probably already facepalming themself.
This monstrosity is partially on the X between me and the altar, seen in the previous screenshot. If you look at the build, you’ll see that I have some flat ceilings as a roof. The first purge after I build this spawned there. unfortunately, I don’t have pictures of the ‘‘purge in progress’’. I was mainly focused on damage control at that moment. fortunately, it was only one wave (even though I got the regroup message).

My first thought was ‘‘ah well, maybe the server needs to calculate my build to decide where they spawn’’. So, I left it like it was.

The second purge spawned on the same ledge (first layer of ceilings on the right btw) AND in addition to that, they spawned on the second floor INSIDE my bedroom. Behind closed doors. Again, damage control, no action screenshots and also 1 wave (and yes, also the regroup message).

It was time to tear it down and rethink my strategy.

During my ‘‘thinking’’ I got another purge (one Maybe two days later so the building was long gone by now). This one spawned on the northern riverbank. So it was an easy purge.

Conclusion: I build on a purge spawn point. So, they spaned on my roof and in my base.

I got to the conclusion that I could not utilize this location to my whishes. So… I brought everything to the ground and went looking for a new base location.

You folks have to do with this post for now. It’s past 10 pm here and after a 13-hour shift I need some relaxation. Respect if you got threw the entire post and tomorrow I have another adventure for you. You’ll get to see my new and current base WITH… in base/on roof purge ACTION screenshots. You’re gonna love m.

Ciao for now and bis morgen.

3 Likes

It’s a bit late but here’s chapter 2.

On my search for a new location, I was asking myself ‘‘what do I want from my base location?’’.

As mentioned in my previous post, I’m on a PVE server. This server has shared map rooms so I can go anywhere I want and get back easily. With this in mind I figured that resources wasn’t my main concern. So if resources aren’t your main concern, what do you have left to consider? Thralls? Pets? dungeons? All accessible by the map rooms. So there’s one thing that remains… The Purge.

The purges I got on i-5 were difficult at first since I wasn’t familiar with the purges that spawned there. The first purge I got was the best one I got. EVER…

The Disciples of Sobek almost leveled my base entirely (my old base from the last post when it was still only sandstone). As I was watching from a distance, seeing my base get torn down, I was… Pissed… or sad. But when it was over my life’s motto sunk in. That just happened, accepted that it just happened, move on from here. or simply said, ‘‘past-present-future’’. I rebuild my base and upgraded it a tear, expanded it and the purges became manageable. Even easy at a certain point.

So for my new base location, I was looking for more difficult purges. Scoured the highlands, the area around Supermeru, went to the jungle, but… It just wasn’t IT. I’ve assisted multiple players with purges up north and to the far east and west and they all just seemed manageable (with the right thralls).

So with the experience I gained from those purges, I wanted to crank it up a notch. Where are the most ‘‘difficult’’ purges? Way up north. ‘‘A cabal of Votaries of Skelos’’ became my objective.

I have a love-hate relationship with the volcano. Lost a thrall to the lava, never brought a thrall up there again. So building inside the volcano would be like saying, ‘‘hey volcano, you took one of my thralls and I learned from that but not really so here’s all my thralls’’. So I looked around the volcano in the ‘‘winter wonderland’’ area and found a spot I liked.

Sorry for the f*ck in chat but hey, It’s an 18+ server.

This is a screenshot as my base is of now (just took it). the cube building on the right is not part of the base. It doesn’t even connect. It was built after the first purge but we’ll get to that later.

The building on the left however, is the building I started off with. Two towers in the front with a gate. Followed by an inner courtyard. And at the ‘‘back of the rock’’ the base.

As you can see, It is accessible from one direction. The front. This got me nervous from the start. I’ve read a decent amount of posts on this forum, Steam forum, Reddit and other so-called forums or tutorial sites, where people were saying that if a purge can’t reach a foundation, they will spawn in your base or on your roof. So I went into a ‘‘test fase’’ and just yolo’d it.

The area I build in made my building options minimal to say the least. There is a lot of unbuildable ground in front of it due to the cave entrance in front of my base.

I can build between the two lines. The area outside those lines is unbuildable. The temple of frost and the cave entrance (X) are areas where I can’t build. So I build as close to the line as possible. And when I say close, I mean close. In the screenshot above you’ll see some standalone foundations in front of my gate. I wanted fences on there but they’d be in the unbuildable area so I wasn’t able to.

So I built on the go. Got an ok foundation, build the walls, the towers, the inner courtyard, the second floor on the base itself, got my storage in, my crafting area set up, but no roof. Before I got to the roof, I got my first purge. A clan of Cimmerian beast-tamers. I was euphoric and started preparations. get my thralls some knockers (knock out weapons) and get my own gear ready (I was still encumbered because I was in build mode).

The purge had started…

Soooo… Everything. And I mean EVERYTHING, spawned in my courtyard or on the walkway. Not ONE NPC or animal spawned outside the gate. The mammy destroyed a couple of pretty important crates maintaining end-game gear (all of my improved religion farming tools. No biggy but still. Didn’t have altars so couldn’t make m again), community currency (1900+ gems. you get 10 every ingame hour and you are able to buy legendaries from the admin with these gems). But the most important chest it destroyed, is the chest which I dumped all my building supplies in.

So yeah. Kind of a bummer.

But it did not end there.

I had to do SOME damage control so I jumped down to reposition some thralls.

I can honestly say that this is not the kind of ‘‘ke-ka-boo’’ you’d wish for in this game.

Fortunately for me the dragon got bugged on a set of stairs and did not move or attacked my thralls so we got to put it out of its misery fairly easy.

And as some will know, the dragon is the final wave.

I’m gonna skip ahead now and tell you what I did to try and avoid this purge.

If you look at the screenshot where the dragon was casually walking on the walkway, you don’t see a building in the background. The ‘‘cube’’ mentioned earlier was the result of this purge to move and store ALL my stuff. I’ve read some posts on the web where people said that foundations are targeted by purges. So A foundation is selected to be purged and if the mobs can’t get to it they’ll spawn in your base or on your roof.

So I did some work on the base. The only foundations around my base, are in front of my gate. ALL the foundations in the base are replaced with pillar and ceiling. This begs the question though. With all the free space where I cannot build on but has more than plenty of room to let mobs walk to my base, is this area also clear of purge spawn points?

I have noticed that since my base does not contain foundations anymore, that my purge meter is not going up as fast as I want it to. I’ve spent 8 in-game hours harvesting, crafting, doing dungeons, breaking thralls, expanding my base, committing genocide on villages and cities and only got my purge meter up to about 80%.

Once I FINALLY get another purge I’ll let you folks know how it turned out and maybe, just maybe, I’ll have to move AGAIN due to purges on the roof or in my base. And if you’re wondering where I’ll move to… see the circle like image on the map screenshot shown above.

conclusion:
I think I build on the only place a mob can spawn (but only more purges will give me more info on this). But if mobs can’t spawn on areas where you’re not allowed to build, then the northern region is kind of a no go in my opinion.

NN and I’ll be back later.

2 Likes

@Zeb You kindly mentioned to me how to be able to upload images so if you, or anyone else, can work with this, I’d like to know. If not, I’d also like to know what kind of feedback is needed (maybe a bit more formal than story wise) to make it clear.

That helps a lot.

So the purge either when your meter is going up or 5 mins before it starts, it sets spawn locations and they become the set locations for future purges? so if you expand it will stay the same, hence why it spawned on your base maybe?

Guess work based on the images. Even if you build at a place you feel is accessible, you really need to take into account your surroundings and what you’ve built near too, due to the distance they walk from and random locations it picks for the spawns. Looking at your newer post, It seems un-build able areas deny spawn locations for npcs and or might deny a valid path for them to walk? (invisible wall)

Sure someone smarter than me can piece it better :stuck_out_tongue:

@Palm522 It sounds like the bug I reported here:

1 Like

Just experienced 2 bugs at another clan’s purge: “Naughty Parrots” on PvE #1502.

1. The bug I linked to in the post immediately preceding this one. They had 6 false-starts in the Event Log (querying on Purge at max Proximity) from the time the Purge Window opened. When the Cimmerian Beast-Tamers finally showed up, they got short-changed and only received a single wave. :frowning:

2. The purge spawned on-base despite TONS of free space around it. As you can see from the video, box base inside a square courtyard on flat ground. To the best of the owner’s knowledge, there are no gaps below the central keep’s ground floor that would leave the ground mesh exposed. Considering that it was the normal purge spawns and not undead, it was clearly not an “unreachable base” purge. IMO, this tends to lend some credence to @Niellos’ theory about there being fixed spawn points for the Purge.
    https://youtu.be/kZ-4wuSag4g

2 Likes

@Zeb Tnx for the feedback. I’ll keep it in mind next time I want to post something about purge mishaps.

If 80% in 8 hours is a high rate, then you’ll never see me on an official server :grimacing:. At a certain point, purges are all that remains on this server (PVE server that is). You’re only allowed one base so you can’t really experiment with other locations unless you tear down your current base. Some might think that this is ridiculous but this server is getting new people every day. If this rule wasn’t implemented, the server would be full of bases.

The admin has put the purge meter threshold at 10K. I don’t really know what it is on official servers but if those are good rates, purge wise, then I should not be complaining I guess.

AND. I got my second purge today :heart_eyes:

Again ‘‘A clan of Cimmerian beast-tamers’’. I was siked and scared at the same time. They have some damn good thralls among them but if they spawn in base again it was going to be a pain in the ■■■ again. So I decided to wait for 10 min in front of my base, with the gate wide open, standing next to one of 5 foundations my base contains. They spawned outside the base. YES!!! I was so thrilled I went fully into game mode and forgot to take any screenshots. Got 6 good thralls out of it but took to long to kill the dragon so when the purge was ‘‘defeated’’, the dragon with half health, casually walked off and disappeared in the distance.

I realize this is just 1 purge going the way I want it to be. I’ll keep you updated about future purges and hope that the ‘‘no foundation base’’ did the job but we’ll see.

Side note:
Got the bugged tanner thrall :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Purge threshold of 10k is very small which is why you are getting up on the purge meter so fast. Ours is set at 25k and thats lower than the official (or it used to be lower). We get a purge once every 2-3 days.

2 Likes

Looks like steroids. You know, too much testosterone, so it makes people like @WanderingJarlPuncher go posturing on forums, showing everyone how manly they are. Granted, it’s not really an oil, but you can’t fault them for that mistake. After all, there are studies that link excessive steroid abuse with cognitive impairment…

2 Likes

Say hey purge experts, I’ve been playing so much my purge meter is totally out of control.

If I have bases in B7-8 (Klael’s to Relicwatcher), E-F5 (Falls to Falls), and E10 (Godsclaw), are there any new baddies I should watch out for? I’m actually getting a little tingly about this one. Zero-G says I shouldn’t be skeered, and then he called me a bunch of names. Then I hear from @Zeb who says her totally awesome map building was demolished last purge. So I’m :thisisfine:

3 Likes

The official purge settings are at 42K, which means for an active clan, perhaps a purge a week or so. Less active clans (or ones that are virtually inactive, and just refresh their bases) rarely get purges at all now because their meter winds backwards.

Had a Purge spawn in our map room. Was funny as all get out. We were waiting outside with thralls ready to go. Then heard them behind us. Followed the sound of their screams. And entered our base. 30 plus guys in our map room. Again funny as heck. We got a named Blacksmith. But only got 1 wave. Which seems to be happening a lot as of late.

How exactly do the purge meter Count?