Removing land claim restrictions from Notes and Papyrus Scrolls

This should absolutely be a thing.

Edit: To elaborate, I think the possibility of abuse is overshadowed by the potential benefit. Not to mention, as someone said above, some sort of delay timer could be implemented so that you cannot lay down a hundred pamphlets all at once…

Though, now that I think about it a variant trebuchet ammunition type that rains down propaganda pamphlets on your enemy does sound awesome…

4 Likes

As far as abuse goes no one is forced to read the notes once it’s determined to be griefing. Just let them decay.

4 Likes

and exactly all the different little tweeks to prevent abuse (delay, decay, …) make the development of this feature relatively expensive in comparing to it’s use

3 Likes

Im loathe to say this, but this seems more beneficial to the game than more beard options.

Thumbs up on this one!! Devs please take note. Tee hee

3 Likes

I honestly feel like the concern over the potential abuse of the notes is overstated.

In the end, you can have a multiplayer game with options like this, or you can obsess over what may get abused, and not add a very simple feature.

This isn’t “knocking out players, and locking them in a cage”, it’s leaving a note.

2 Likes

Or it’s leaving 200 notes all over another person’s property “for the lulz” so they can’t build before spending 3 hours carefully removing said notes. If you don’t think people will do this, you either haven’t been playing online servers - or you’ve been blessed with a singularly mature one.

2 Likes

I’ve played on plenty of game servers in various server environments, I know that people are jerks. That’s part of the risk of playing games online, as I stated previously in my reply, multiplayer in general can cause griefing. You literally replied to that response.

That’s why I think adding preventative programing is necessary, they’ve programmed in the ability to set raid times on a server, they can add a little check box to enable or disable notes with relative ease.

I think notes in their current state are incomplete, and it’s clear that yourself and Testerle disagree, and that’s fine, and your concerns aren’t surprising. Everyone in this thread has thought about those exact things, and feel that it’s a feature that is worth the risk.

Or, I should rephrase, you both don’t feel that it’s worth the risk or programming efforts, not that it isn’t incomplete.

1 Like

theres a mod that allows you to place a note on others lands so yeah it be nice there would be a version of those to base game that isnot attatched to a player/ clan so EVERYONE can remove it

2 Likes

I think this would be useful for raiding. I could leave a note at the big clans base that gives them my schedule for playing so they can coordinate their time to offline raid me more efficiently (sic) :slight_smile:

and they can leave me note afterwards rating my base and how hard it was to offline for constructive feedback.

3 Likes

Just limit it to 3 per player, like bedrolls.

4 Likes

it’s a good way to leave 2000 notes on the single door you have to enter your base and thats not an overstated concern. jump into an official server and you will see that such abusive bahaviour is not overstated. foundation and pillar spam, resource blocking and obelisks build in. thats not overstated, thats the current state on official servers and it’s part of the considerations you have to take into account for such a feature

no you did not get the point. I only replied to the staement ‘it’s an easy change’ because it is not really an easy change if you want a usable feature. it’s a bunch of work and if I add the effort you need to make it a working feature into the calculation I would not implement it. adding a feature without take all possible effects into account is never a good idea and in an online game you should always expect the worst behaviour when you design a feature.

and this only works for one simple reason: it’s a mod and only used on private servers with server rules. break the rules and you are banned. without such bans on official servers it makes this feature a very bad idea

sure but exactly such restrictions make the simple change a not so simple change at all

3 Likes

Sure. Contrary to what it may seem, I am not against this suggestion in any way - maybe I wouldn’t rate it highly on my personal “wants list”, but that’s a far cry from being against it.

2 Likes

Maybe make it very heavy and not stacking? Then no more than an Elephant can carry - 30 pcs. By the way do placeables decay now? If they do then such note not connected to the owner’s foundation should decay very fast by itself.

1 Like

not sure if the current decay system handles such cases because currently it’s not possible to place stuff on claimed land.

2 Likes

At least it will be VERY dull to bring 2000 notes to someone’s claimed land one by one )

3 Likes

I totally agree with this! I have even made a similar post back in the day that was not well received at all. :joy:

IIRC I suggested that the notes be limited to prevent spamming someone with a million notes. Let there be a fixed amount we can place and if we go over the amount the last one is destroyed.
I really hope to get this in game cos other than decor I really don’t see any use whatsoever for these notes.

:metal::smiling_imp:

5 Likes

to implement something that later turns out to be exploitable is something different than implementing such a feature with the knowledge that you did not add checks / restrictions and give out a tool for trolls and I’m only resisting the statement that it’s a simple change.

from the inital post:

if you did it right it’s far from a simple change.

the exploitable / trolling aspect is also mentioned by the devs in one of the last dev streams. this is not the first time this feature request hits this forum or the dev streams.

ignoring official servers and the current state of this servers (no gamemasters, no real rules) when adding a feature makes literaly not sense.

it’s not an excuse. the current server setup from the devs is like it is and they have to take the official servers into account for all the stuff they implement like they have to take into account that the game also is available for consoles. as a modder I can ignore consoles and official servers and can add what ever I want to add and the players / server admins can pick which ever mod they want.

dev stream sourece:

Twitch Comment: Can we possibly get a feature on note items to make them placeable anywhere, so people can leave messages on other people’s bases?
Robert: I would love to do that, but I can see some opportunity to grief here by placing notes all over someones house, and so probably not.

2 Likes

They’ve said that mounts wouldn’t be a thing, and yet they’re coming to the game in a little over a month. If they can figure out how to make mounts work when the previous concern was people literally falling through the world because of rendering issues, I don’t think the note problem is something that they can’t solve. I have faith in them.

If enough people express an interest in having the land claim removed from notes, Funcom will find a way, I am confident in that. That’s what suggestions are for, and that’s why Rubble posted that here.

People told me similar things about having VoIP fixed, “Just use discord”, “It’s not an issue that most players care about. Just stop.”, Funcom themselves even said that they’d likely not be fixing voip, yet we’ve got an entirely new voip system. Being told no that will never happen, and just walking away, isn’t always the right response if you care about a feature that you want to see.

We’re not ignoring the potential abuse, we’re asking for a feature in suggestions that we feel is valuable, and if enough people express interest, Funcom will figure it out in a way that will work, while also allaying the concerns expressed here.

You’re absolutely right about everything when it comes to trolls, but we believe the feature is valuable, and that Funcom can figure out a way to make it happen, even when a dev says probably not on stream.

5 Likes

Notes are critically important for RP and Conan has a large RP community. What we are stuck using right now are Pipi notes, from an add on, which aren’t horrible… but are only removable by the person who created them. Which means you end up with a situation where a note is just left… hanging there… even when the structure it was attached to has been destroyed… how immersion breaking is that??

Let’s say you have an RP scenario where your character is robbed (recently happened to a character I play) and the offender has a left a Pipi note with a clue to their identity (proper RP etiquette). Now that note can NEVER BE REMOVED from that space. Unless you find the person who robbed you and be all like… “Hey man, before we handle the robbery scenario through RP, would you mind removing the note that’s hanging in mid air in my back yard? Okay cool, thanks… ahem… HOW DARE YOU!”

That’s just… no. Please remove the land claim restrictions from notes and papyrus scrolls. This would be huge for the RP community and the stories we tell.

5 Likes

Good to see so much chatter on this one :smile:

For and against is always good for the discussion. Hopefully it will catch the eye of staff / devs soon enough.

I still ‘feel’ even factoring in some simple anti-griefing precautions wouldn’t make this a huge job but that’s only from an engineer and light dev perspective, no idea about gaming engines personally.

My experience of official servers during my first 6-12 months of Conan was all good. Never experienced any of the grief that I have seen in other posts and on YT videos. It does amaze me at times but that’s people I suppose.

I don’t think the content of the notes could really be an issue for grief so long as VoIP and global chat are not restricted. So it felt to me the only potential issues was of post-it noting someones home/base hence my thought around very low durability items. But there have since been lots of alternative solutions to that potential risk. And I’m sure the developers have a keener eye for potential risks than me.

Anyway, keep up all the good back and forth, might just lead to the perfect and simple solution.

Capt.

P.S. I could have accidentally swiped and ‘clicked’ a solution found checkbox when on my tablet, those touch screens do like to do that…

2 Likes