Renewed call - Obelisks marked on the Map

, ,

This one is not a new suggestion. Both myself and a friend who is all too silent nowadays have requested this neat little Quality of Life addition before. But as it has now been a while, so I thought I might drop a renewed call.

It has always felt a little odd to me. Obelisks are some of the most frequented points of interest in the Exiled Lands. They are part of the Journey Steps, and planning our farming and raids are deeply intertwined with them. Furthermorw, if I was a cartographer comissioned with printing a map of the Exiled Lands, I certainly would not be leaving them off it! So I have often thought it would be nice if a marker would appear on the map for each of the 10 respective Obelisks upon their discovery.

10 Likes

Hmm :thinking:
Here’s the thing though, obelisks are end-points by design. As such you would never actually have to travel TO an obelisk, but only FROM and as such don’t really need a map marker to find :stuck_out_tongue:

It is only us players, who decided on certain servers to build map rooms next to these Obelisks requiring people to travel to… on top of it the map is already quite cluttered and most Obelisks would simply overlap with other PoI markers.

The idea itself is not a bad one though, but I’d prefer some artistic representation of them on the map rather than a marker, that way they’re sort of identifiable even if you haven’t been there (which is the only time according to the basegame rules when you should be going towards one - to discover it).
So basically I’d draw some tiny tower representations on the map itself that are identifiable… or some purple haze representing the corruption cloud around them… some sort of visual representation that’s not a discoverable marker but part of the map graphic itself.

That’s just my opinion ofc :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t use maprooms that often, especially now with the teleport system of sorcery

I’m of the opinion that the map function be removed and replaced by a physical option (kind of like how I believe Minecraft does it).

What does that even mean? I have no idea what Minecraft does as I’ve never played it :smiley:

I’m about to pull up a 10+ year old memory, since its been that long since I last played it. But from what I remember maps were craftable items that you had to use in order to look at them. It wasn’t a hotkey or UI element. You actually looked at a map in your hands and had to figure out where you were.

Effectively for Conan Exiles, the map would be an actual item you look at and you’d have to utilize land navigation to find your way around.

Ooh. I’m torn on this one.

On the one hand, I missed the days when I could say “just outside the northwestern gate to Unnamed City” or “across the river from Fleshtearer Falls” without people replying with “yeah, but what coords?”

On the other hand, a map can be indispensable when dealing with bugs and glitches. Some of my favorite examples:

• My follower is supposed to be following me, but she’s not. Where the hell did her pathfinding get stuck?
  • My guard is supposed to be standing here. Did he sink into the ground after the reboot and do I need to rescue him again?
  • I lost connection and when I came back, I spawned in the desert. Where is my corpse?
  • I died right here. My corpse is supposed to be here. Where the hell is it?
2 Likes

Oh, I see what you mean :smiley: Well… as someone who made a minimap to further enhance map features of the game… No thank you :smiley:
But I guess this is a bit off-topic since this was a thread about Obelisks

2 Likes

Look at the huge problem of this suggestion now…
I learned minecraft in pc, which means, endless map, your data was growing bigger as you were expanding on the map and no matter if you started with some Mb you end up with huge Gb data. So you were going late game to the ender dragon and your game was lagging horribly in the most important fight of the game.
So. Either you had to accept that you will die late game, highest possible gear that you grind your a… getting it, and try again, or cheat and who cares.
I only once managed to kill the ender dragon hardcore and i never try it again. I had 16 efforts before to start from 0 and die from lags on the end city.
But let’s go back to the real problem that you possibly don’t know.
Minecraft on pc… Good game
Minecraft on PlayStation… Joke
So no thank you, because it’s going to be the same, trust me!

1 Like

Hey there @Xevyr.

Of course. Depending on how the discussion undolds we may have to agree to disagree here.

I think you are (yes even needlessly) putting way too much thought into this. First point I would assert that an Obelisk is not an end point but a mid point. It is seldom ever our destination, but the mid point. For example let us say we are travelling to Flotsam, the journey sequence is Base/Maproom(start) > Obelisk(mid) > Flotsam(end). The second point I would address is that the aforementioned is irrelevant. What point the Obelisk is in any given journey is not related to if an additional marker appears on the map when we attune it.

I would also like to make reference to the games lore as part or a larger overaching point. The Maproom/Obelisks were used by the GiantKings to “transport goods and slaves across the empire” to key destinations. Therefore they were of great importance to them. Certainly enough to warrant putting them on any may. Heck I was a GiantKing who ordered a slave to create a logistic map of the Exiled Lands, and he did not bother to put the Obelisks on it, I would have the incompetent blighter put to death!

And as far as clutter goes, I would say that 10 more will not kill us. Heck there are more frivolous and inconsequential POIs on the map.

1 Like

Do you perhaps mean similar to the system we have in The Forrest Taemien? Basically it is a balnk sheet of paper which becomes filled out as we travel through that area. Kingdom Come is similar, the map is covered in dark clouds which dissipate as we explore the areas beneath them. It is not a bad idea, and if you wish to do a separate suggestion thread I will support it. However, this thread is not requesting a brand new map system; just to have Obelisks marked on the map when discovered.

1 Like

My deepest apologies. Yes i want them to be marked in the map. Believe it or not, years now i was wondering why they are not. I always say, i have to ask why (?) but i always forget.
Something else will come up and i will ask my self later, why did i enter the forum the first place (?) , age i guess, i forget easily now :rofl:. Thanks Croms, i totally agree!

1 Like

No… What I meant is the teleportation operation, not your personal journey :slight_smile:
But the fact that you can only teleport one-way… since obelisks cannot be used to initiate teleportation.

As such, finding them with a marker is useless for the core game, the way it’s been designed.
You only ever need to locate them if you’re on a server where someone built actual maprooms at each obelisk… that you can then use to travel from. But you are actually looking for the maproom in those cases and not the obelisk, thus it feels completely out of place and bad game-design to add markers because of that - which is probably why we don’t have them atm.

The game already has a feature though in the form of custom markers and you can set one up for each obelisk should you want to in your game. :man_shrugging:

If you’re unhappy with that and feel that you do have a solid argument as to why Obelisks need a map marker, then feel free to present that. I am mainly curious in the reasons you can name as to why you would want to travel to an obelisk you already discovered. :man_shrugging: I personally cannot name a single legit reason for it… unless you really cannot find other ways to get corruption and you want to sit in their purple cloud for half an hour.

So in that regard my alternative suggestion I feel is more useful. I suggested adding a graphic on the map image itself… something tiny to be able to spot them so you can travel to them even without a marker - this version would actually be helpful for new players to track down and discover them.

With that being said though, I am not against it… I just don’t think it has any legit purpose other than your personal preference and I think it’s only relevant once you customize a server, for which the custom markers are already there.
However this is very easy to do, it’s only a matter of adding a line for each obelisk to a table, so I’m sure if they decide they want to do it, we’ll see it happen.

I agree with @Croms_Faithful, you’re overthinking this. What use is having Xel-ha Docks marked on your map, for example? Map markers are just a way to know where X is in the world, especially in relation to other map markers.

5 Likes

Hmm… :thinking: maybe

Several times in the past i had to explain where an obelisk is to new players. I won’t forget the day on 3728 that i spend a whole afternoon searching for a new player in the unnamed city, accepting his frustration on his messages until i finally end up to the conclusion that he was probably playing in another server but was participating on 3728 chat. This is easy to be done on PlayStation since we don’t have chat in game and ee have to create parties for communication. If the Obelisks had a marker it would be way easier to explain by sending your map. Of course i could place marks like @Xevyr said but… In order to place a correct mark, you have to enter your map, zoom max and then place it. Boring and harmful, since you gain a big amount of corruption. Normally, when i go to obtain Obelisks it’s on the very beginning, my first 4 hours in this server, so i don’t have the luxury to gain a lot coruption.
This incident that happened about 2 years ago has triggered my question, why the heck Obelisks do not have a marker?
I believe that it’s necessary!

1 Like

One of the best ways of telling where something is, is the phone key method:

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

Where the map coordinate is referenced and then the individual grid square is divided into an imaginary 9 squares labeled much like a phone key pad.

For example, the obelisk at The Sinkhole would be referenced as H6-7. 7 being the lower left corner.

This works WONDERS for newbies once they learn how to reference the system which is actually quite easy to pick up.

2 Likes

Map markers for Obelisks I guess would make sense since they are major POI. I could go either way with the concept.

Physical map is used in Ark so I think they will skip using that concept. (And Minecraft as you mentioned, granted I do not recall that but its been 10 years I guess since I last played it so who remembers that far back)
While its neat concept, I prefer the full map shown normally unless you can use either or.

I always thought a compass would be fine for Conan Exiles or any survival game since a person living in the world will have some sense of direction.

Adding a filter for map coordinates would help some (G7 for example in the corner of the grid).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.