So was sorcery mostly a waste?

Honestly? Really not liking it at the moment, if only because sorcery feels just… so… so useless right now. Especially after the lightning storm nerf.

And I know there’s whining about ‘no high fantasy fireballs’, but like…

There’s literally nothing I’ve seen in lore so far that EXPLICITLY, OUTRIGHT DENIES THE POSSIBILITY OF THEM . Not only that, but Conan Unconquered, seemingly set during the story of the Black Colossus… Look at what your sorcerer units are literally capable of.

Unless… suddenly, those sorcerers are suddenly canceled out and not allowed to exist?
Not /once/ have I ever seen any proof or evidence whatsoever suggesting that these “high fantasy spells” can’t exist. When I ask for proof, I’m shown examples of sorcery.
But I’m not shown explicit evidence saying the spells in question /cannot exist/.
I’ll be honest, most of the so-called “arguments” I’ve seen regarding it can only be summarized as ‘I don’t like and don’t want it even though I literally have no way to prove they can’t exist in this setting.’

I’ve gone back and forth on it. I kind of understood the desire to do something different than the typical fireballs but felt that there should be something to “strike fear” in the hearts of us non sorcerer barbarians.

What was eye opening to me is a) personally not seeing much use of the current system on the servers I play and b) a friend of mine was very excited about sorcery and planning to get back into the game but once she saw what it actually was she was quite disappointed.

Good points. Feels like the support role exists but the Thusla Doom seems a bit lacking atm :slight_smile:

Conan is sword and sorcery not sword and sword. Funcom made Age of Conan mmo and there is nothing high fantasy about the sorcery classes. Half hp and stamina is big tradeoff for what highly corrupted sorcerer get atm.

People on pvp servers won’t put them in their base, and if their smart they will put them inside an enclosed building, maybe built over a freeze trap etc.

Aside from the Illusion system and Trasportory Stones, I really don’t use sorcery. However, I play with folks who absolutely love it.

It has not detracted from the game, for me, it’s just another thing, like mounts, that I have and don’t use.

And that’s a strength for the game. It allows folks to play their own game within a shared world. There is not a single way to play, you can forge a path that matches your playstyle, which I love.

Mounts were wrecked in the last nerf. Sorcery may benefit from some adjustments, but it has very cool features. But mounts do neef some buffing. Even for pve, there are beasts much easier to fight/hunt on horse. Hunting mammoths and elephants is an example. If horses die so easily, they are rendered useless. There are far better options for carrying stuff and transport was much facilitated with the stones. It’s a shame if horses end up becoming irrelevant.

Sorcery is not a waste.
It just only very selectively useful.
The illusions, the teleport circles, the shallow graves… These are good. They are extremely useful.

The quick cast spells in the field?
Generally a bad joke. Especially with the new restriction against their use in dungeons. Having to manage a running level of corruption, crafting reagent pouches, and carrying the wand around generally makes it not worth the trouble.
Gather Resources being a notable exception.

Fortunately, it is still being fine tuned.
Keep in mind there was a horrible stink made over how Bats and Ice Bridges had destroyed PvP. (Let’s leave call lightning in it’s own thread)
This one one chuckles a bit, but every play style has vulnerabilities. Perhaps God Bubbles should repel Bat demons?
If anything has been taught by these forums, it’s that, when it comes to PvP, everything in the game is simultaneously so brokenly powerful that it must be nerfed, while also being pathetic and a waste of resources that no one uses and must be buffed.

In general, as play stands right now, this one views using wand and reagent magic the same way they view pets.
You can if you want to, but it’s generally a larger investment of time and effort for mediocre results.
But unlike pets right now, the few exceptions to that are significant.

I personally love it. But not because it gives me an edge. I just love the IDEA of being a sorcerer. I wish the flavor would be reinforced with function.

Exactly. Mounts are very fragile now, and do not run away from combat as they did previously.

I will still use them for extra storage in zones where they are less likely to be trapped and killed, and I have stables built, because I play the game to build, but I never enjoyed mounted combat and now, it is even less appealing.

huh-icegif-1

Yeah I’ve changed my opinion after seeing different view points in this thread. I will no longer say it is a waste BUT I feel that it could be so much more…

I think it just needs a little more bite. Other than that, it’s great.

From a PVE perspective having a fully corrupted build is no worse off than an uncorrupted build IMHO provided you are using 3 zombies with well trained perk. I found PVE as equally unchallenging with a corrupted build as with a PVE build with one thrall.

In PVP it’s more situational. I’ve had decent luck with a corrupted build (20VIT, 9 Corrupted : 20 AUTH, 19 corrupted using well trained), 5GRIT. This is primarily a bow kiting build with daggers as needed. Under a lot of situations it’s usable with abyssal bow and zombies to harass. But get caught and it can be painful even with the damage reduction.

For a PVP raiding build that includes 20EXP and beast of burden, there really isn’t any great combat builds they are corrupted.

What I’d like to see is the ability assign spells to L2/R2 for the sorcery staff. Until you do that, there’s no easy way to make sorcery spells usable in combat. Navigating through menus on pvp is death.

I’d also like to see some ranges attack spells like fireball or lightning strike that scale with corrupted points if they could be assigned to quick cast slots. It we can have bows with wildly different damage arrows, why not this?

Or even have sorcery potions that require a certain level of corruption to use that can be applied to weapons to boost different things.

Or add more passive bonuses to corruption, like granting nighteye at night to sorcerers.

Lastly I think it would better to tie corruption effects on hp and stam to your time upgrade level. They could move armor and weapon summons to a lower level but have their negative effect be more. For example, let’s say they made those spells available at the L3 and L4 level. Use of those items could be bumped up to have say a -75% impact to health and stamina. As you level the time that effect could gradually lesson. As L10 it might only have the current -50% impact and at L15 it only has -25% impact to health/stam. The could apply then same check to tone level for stat corruption. This would address one of the biggest complaints in pvp that corruption too significantly affects your ability to play given that there are no offense spells.

A -25% stat reduction with corrupted abilities would even the playing field. These are just my opinions, I don’t agree on any suggestions that sorcery only has to be high sorcery. Just my 2 cents.

There are other games that have fireballs. It’s just aesthetics. Try the explosive arrow.

THIS! We need something about this…a thrall command to collect an accessible chest or lootbag so that the thrall can swing by and collect it all.

I don’t llike the sorcery, I don’t like it in this game. Many can argue, but this is just my opinion: it does not fit into this game.
Also, someone mentioned wall of fire deals no damage. What is its point then? Just to show “I can doooo thiiiis!”?

With their small inventory? You had to use bearers for that or change the number of their inventory slots.

I never found space to be an issue in PVE. For non raiding pvp either. But raising you either divide in conquer and take the best things, or have people with 20EXP builds and take everything.

They do run, if they have been set to do so. You can edit their behaviour.

But what annoys me is that enemy beasts often seem to prioritize the mounts. Then mounts are running away in a circle, the beasts are running after them and me trying to catch them to hit the beasts…
Cue Benny Hill music.