If your entire retort to the sorcery argument is ‘gO pLaY aNoThEr gAmE’ when us sorcerers are asking for reasonably useful magic, then you don’t really have anything to your argument.
When you base your entire argument against more sorcery around "I dun’ like it and I dun’ want it’, you really have no ground to stand on.
Yes, please. There are many ways Sorcery could be made helpful without direct damage spells as we already have orbs and arrows for that.
The one suggestion I would make, if I may, is that the more corruption you have the faster you could cast the spells (spell rocks could be chosen quicker) or you gain some form of protection while casting providing you cast the spells (you must finish the casting or the spell damages you to prevent abusing the protection provided).
I would like corruption shade minions . Not sure if they should be combat oriented or for some other purpose but would like to see more minion sorcery straight from the caster . Not that I don’t think the summoning circles and other assets are bad mind you, I would like to see utility of free casting .
Mounts and bearers, summoned from the wand rather than the circle. That is what this one would find most useful.
Even if the corrupted shades don’t fight, if they have a couple dozen inventory slots, it’s quite adequate.
I’ll be honest, I really don’t see how asking for direct damage spells can classify as ‘too much’ or unreasonable
Adding direct damage spells won’t exactly harm anything (aside from the targets of our spells, of course), but arrows and orbs don’t exactly excite nor, (in my opinion) feel like a suitable replacement for said spells. Not to mention…
Like, I’ve /tried/ working with orbs and the various effect arrows. I have tried for hours and they certainly don’t seem at all a viable way to perform combat. The selection of arrows-
as in, the actual process of selecting arrows to use, and the sheer inventory weight/clutter would not help either. In fact by the time you’ve shot several arrows, someone will have easily just ran right out of the cloud effect, right up to you, and completely butchered the sorcerer who attempted to play archer.
Again, depends on what kind of direct damage spell. You wanna shoot fireballs or lightning bolts at people? No thanks, because this is Conan.
I bought this game – and then kept buying additional content for it – because it’s a Conan game. Not only that, it’s a really well-done Conan game, because it stays true to the canon.
If I wanted to play Elden Ring, I would go play Elden Ring. If I wanted to play a typical high fantasy game with magic, I would go play that game. But when I launch Conan Exiles, it’s because I want to play in Howard’s sword & sorcery setting.
That’s why people say “if you want a different game, go play that game”. I’m not against sorcery. I’m not even against direct damage spells. But they have to fit the setting.
There are many games with pew-pew magic. There’s only one survival sandbox in Hyborian Age.
I strongly disagree with this. I want sorcery to benefit mainly those who corrupt their stats, instead of giving best of both worlds to players who use sorcery only when its convenient.
While this one sympathizes with the preference of making the magic better rather than more easy to access, there are already legendary weapons laying about that fill corruption when equipped. It’s an existing trait of items in game, and very genre appropriate. Dark and wicked artifacts that taint the soul of anyone who dares even touch them.
Perhaps reducing the utility of fast taint removal in the field could partially ameliorate the concern but come about it from a different angle.
Honestly, this one would very much like the spells to synchronize better with corrupted perks. Summoned Zombies prioritizing prone targets and perhaps inflicting more damage against them. The life drain effects being heightened in an area with environmental sorcery active. Bat demons losing stamina slower in patches of unnatural darkness.
I’ve gone back and forth on this. Initially I had the exact same view as you but now I’m leaning towards there needing to be some sort of combat style sorcery. The issue is that Conan is a game that is heavily focused on combat (in all modes PVP, PVE-C, and PVE) and not having spells that directly benefits that seems lacking…
It seems lacking because people want to use sorcery in combat, and it’s not useful in combat, and pretty much the only thing everyone can come up with is pew-pew magic. That doesn’t mean it’s the only way.
Sorcerers are supposed to rely on their minions, misdirection, on confusing and instilling fear in their enemies, and stuff like that. Funcom could have made spells to that effect, but they didn’t. One of the reasons is that it’s probably more work.
But another reason is that every single PVP player here would be screaming at the top of the lungs if sorcery had things like that, because it’s OP and “tHe NeW mEtA”.
So yeah, we got a lackluster system where casting spells with your staff is almost useless, and now everyone’s going to complain about it until Funcom finally gives in and we get to shoot lasers out of our butts, and then everyone’s going to complain about how butt-lasers are the new meta, and after Funcom nerfs butt-lasers everyone gets to complain how they always nerf everything into the ground. The end result of all that? Ruining one of the aspects that Conan Exiles actually gets right: Hyborian Age.
Actually having a spell that does cause “confusion and fear” on an enemy would be a step in the right direction. I don’t think combat magic would necessarily have to be fireballs or lasers…
Random combat spell ideas that might be more appropriate within a Conan setting that I just thought of:
Stun (i.e. the “confusion and fear”)
Full stack of poison (i.e. “rot”)
Insta cast short duration minions (flying?) that attack a given target
Corrupt an enemy – definitely see this being useful in PVP but not sure if any benefit for PVE
Agreed. Sorcery doesn’t need to suck to keep melee and ranged builds viable. Easy (especially if targetable like bows) magic bolts of Dooooom! would have to come with such huge negative effects to balance them out. Bows have low arrow damage compared to melee damage weapons to balance out their distance advantage. Casting bolts of dark power would be extremely taxing if taken from the Conan universe sorcery. The sorcerer would need to be rooted in place during and after the spell to recover from the strain. We already have issues with mobility and timing with sorcery casting as it is.
To be a conduit to the void (source of sorcery in the Conan universe) is not a natural feat for humans and takes a great toll just to release unfocused power as is reflected by the spells we have now. To cast a focused bolt or two of void power would more than likely result in the collapse of the player either two their knees or flat on their back/face. The devs have kept this true so far .
I am not saying more combat spells should be avoided. What I am saying that focused wand magic without HEAVY penalties is not in line with the Conan universe.