Startup Crash after 1.7.18.0 Update on PC (Xbox Game Pass)

Was just playing the game on PC via the Xbox (beta) app on Windows 10 not 50 minutes ago. The game crashed, I went to restart it, and noticed an update. Downloaded the update, and now the game won’t even start. The game window opens, stays black for about 3 seconds, and then crashes without fail.

EDIT: Just saw this error message pop up after the last attempt to start the game (can’t upload, new user):

Couldn’t start:
“C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps\FuncomOsloAS.MutantYearZeroRoadtoEden_1.7.18.0_x64__pkaskhy6cdq4g\ZoneUE4/Binaries/Win64/ZoneUE4-Win64-Shipping.exe”
ZoneUE4 CreateProcess() returned c0ea0001.

2 Likes

Exactly the same problem here!

Any luck sorting the problem?

Unfortunately not, and I went to uninstall/reinstall the game… now I get a new error preventing me from reinstalling the game: code 0x80070057

EDIT: I’ve tried uninstalling/reinstalling other games with mixed success. The reinstall issue seems to be a Xbox (beta) app issue.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstall too and with no success. The update has definitely made the game not boot up properly.

It’s quite disappointing how dead these forums are and the lack of communication from the developers.

EDIT: Fixed the reinstall error - it was related to an Xbox (beta) bug. Had to use Powershell as an administrator and remove Gaming Services, then reinstall it from the Microsoft Store. But, the game still won’t open. Keeps crashing on startup.

2 Likes

Same issue, I can’t believe they’ve managed to make it worse.

2 Likes

Hi exactly same problem here. I am really dissapointed with Xbox Beta client. First game I played was Metro and I had problems with starting the game. This is second game I downloaded through the service and problems again. I think I will pass on Xbox game pass.

Well, admittedly, it is a beta. Unfortunately, if you don’t have an Xbox, I wouldn’t recommend getting Game Pass for PC alone though, that’s for sure.

Thought I should’ve looked up the Application Error in Event Viewer. Here’s the log:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 7/09/2019 4:12:44 AM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-ZAC
Description:
Faulting application name: ZoneUE4-Win64-Shipping.exe, version: 4.17.2.0, time stamp: 0x5d6e2360
Faulting module name: ZoneUE4-Win64-Shipping.exe, version: 4.17.2.0, time stamp: 0x5d6e2360
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000a7e39d
Faulting process id: 0x4880
Faulting application start time: 0x01d564deab82285f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\FuncomOsloAS.MutantYearZeroRoadtoEden_1.7.18.0_x64__pkaskhy6cdq4g\ZoneUE4\Binaries\Win64\ZoneUE4-Win64-Shipping.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\FuncomOsloAS.MutantYearZeroRoadtoEden_1.7.18.0_x64__pkaskhy6cdq4g\ZoneUE4\Binaries\Win64\ZoneUE4-Win64-Shipping.exe
Report Id: 4b57fe7f-c57a-4ecc-94bb-f123ee724921
Faulting package full name: FuncomOsloAS.MutantYearZeroRoadtoEden_1.7.18.0_x64__pkaskhy6cdq4g
Faulting package-relative application ID: App
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
DESKTOP-ZAC

ZoneUE4-Win64-Shipping.exe
5d6e2360
ZoneUE4-Win64-Shipping.exe
5d6e2360
c0000005
0000000000a7e39d
01d564deab82285f
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\FuncomOsloAS.MutantYearZeroRoadtoEden_1.7.18.0_x64__pkaskhy6cdq4g\ZoneUE4\Binaries\Win64\ZoneUE4-Win64-Shipping.exe
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\FuncomOsloAS.MutantYearZeroRoadtoEden_1.7.18.0_x64__pkaskhy6cdq4g\ZoneUE4\Binaries\Win64\ZoneUE4-Win64-Shipping.exe
4b57fe7f-c57a-4ecc-94bb-f123ee724921
FuncomOsloAS.MutantYearZeroRoadtoEden_1.7.18.0_x64__pkaskhy6cdq4g
App

1 Like

Same problem here, as far as I am aware, steam update also have the same problem. So it is not xbox client’s fault. How can they release a patch that are not properly tested? I am pretty sure I won’t buy any Funcom games any more, given how little attention developers give to its customers.

1 Like

Yeah, I gave Xbox that Application Error log upon request, and they returned to me with confirmation that it’s completely on the developer’s side.

EDIT: Apparently, as someone else noted in another post, due to European labour laws, the team probably doesn’t work weekends (if they work around the average max of 48 hours during the weekdays), so hopefully they’ll be able to get back to us soon.

Hello @ZacE, welcome to the forums!

The developers are already aware and looking into the game pass crash on startup, it’s unfortunate that this issue managed to slip past and we do apologize for that.

@oweneheh We’re not aware of any Steam users having the same issue, could you please let us know where did you come across that information?

1 Like

So what’s the time frame? Also I reinstall the game as per tips before when this happened, will my saves be okay?

Game pass player. I tried to Google if cloud saves built in but got mixed results

No ETA as of yet, we’re also unaware of any impact on savegames.

If I may, having a BA in Games Design myself, you really shouldn’t release a patch for a game on a Friday if you’re going to have the weekend off. There’s always the potential for what happened, to happen, and you want to be present to respond to it as immediately as possible.

No problem at all @ZacE, although we’re currently unable to confirm if it was intentional ( due to sometimes certification not going through with expected dates ), we’ll be sure to forward all feedback to the team.

1 Like

Can you confirm for me if this game has cloud save support by default for game pass users? Google is giving me mixed answers.

Least then if it does my saves should be in the cloud as I don’t fancy replaying 10hours worth

OK, the steam crash after update was from last month, which I found from google (can’t post link)
Probably not related to this one.

The crashing problem is also reported in the Gears 5 forum, this might be a Xbox client problem after all. Someone there suggested a workaround: delete Xbox game pass client, reinstall the game from Miscrosoft Store directly. I am at work at the moment, can’t confirm this. Can anyone try this and report back?

We have determined a possible source for the Game Pass crash that will be included in the next patch, hopefully it will address all instances of this matter. No ETA as of yet but we’ll be sending it through as soon as possible.

Regarding the Cloud Save, it is supported, but please let us know if you run across any issues.

1 Like