Suggestion: Add a building limit to prevent bans

Did you ever stop to consider that there are people on officials that enjoy the way they are maintained? See the idea that officials are badly maintained is an opinion. Not a fact. This has been this way since they were turned on years ago.

You see you cannot please everyone. As someone who has played on just about every server type, admined on just about every server type, and who has in the past owned a server. I can say this with absolutely certainty that you cannot please everyone. Anyone who has a small ability in critical thinking will likely be able to come to that conclusion and fact on their own. Which I will include everyone in this thread because you all are smart enough to be included there.

Which means this comes down to a select people wishing to change the official servers to suit their tastes. Here’s the problem. If they do that. If they give you, Kikigirl, everything you want. It will tick people off. I will even say this. I do not agree that what you want and ask for will help the official servers. I say it will hurt them more then doing nothing.

And here’s a good question. All the players supposedly causing issues for you all, are playing and enjoying the official servers. Where do you suppose they should play if not continue to play on officials? What makes you all more important then them?

Pretty much this. And I would point out that there is a fraction of complaints about officials in 2022 compared to 2018. They went with the right track. Could there be improvements? Sure. But the TOS and how its implemented, and silly building rules and arbitrary development imposed restrictions that cause more problems than solve, is not the answer.

I would be interested in the details if you care to share them. Such a server doesn’t even need a GPU, the monitor can remain off 99% of the time (or 100% if you remote in by phone), and something like the 5800X would probably be enough. There’s the ISP but you likely pay for that anyway and such a server doesn’t need to knock you off unless you’re torrenting 4k films - and many torrents can be scheduled automatically if you just have to be doing such things.

Assuming you have the system or don’t mind using you personal PC I can’t see it costing more than $0.25 per day - at the very most - in the most extreme case.

I was able to test 5 connections to the dedicated server running on a 10 or 12 year old 4c/8t laptop with a 1G NIC and 8GB RAM. With all 5 connected and galloping over the map at the same time (which causes the most CPU and Network usage) the CPU was only at about 25% and only 30% of the network bandwidth was being used - at peak.

I also tested on modern gear but as mentioned, I would be interested in how you came to the $1 per day estimate.

1 Like

The very people that reported me and friends are in the forums saying the same things as I and others. These are seasoned players, I am a seasoned player. We’re all people who know what we should and should not do based on the rules as they stand now. They have on multiple occasions admitted that our situation was not ban worthy. I already knew that. The purpose of their exercises are to gather proof that there is something very wrong with how reports are dealt with. I knew that already too.

Now we’re deep diving.

This all brings to mind the new player not even understanding how to convert hide to dragon powder… those newer players that get reported and banned for blocking a POI, do they even know what that is? I do because I’ve gone the distance to understand the complexities of the game.

My point is that it does not matter how people feel on how they or others are playing, legitimately or not. People are being punished for simply existing. A 2x2 crapshack on noob river is not safe from a report.

You have shown that you vehemently disagree with our perspective because we refuse to post the proof here and I would agree that it is a tactic to shut down posts.

It appears to me that you are not interested in anything we have to say anyway as our experiences have the ability to influence change that you percieve will inconvenience you. So you poison the well and muddy the waters.

2 Likes

I’ll see sbout getting the specifics for you

1 Like

“I have evidence, but can’t show it! But my word is good so you should believe me.”

No one believes this. Not even you and your two friends who keep perpetuating this falsehood even believe this. I mean come on guy, you really expect everyone to believe that you spent several hours collecting evidence for your own viewing and no one else’s?

I mean if anyone needs some real concrete evidence. Just login to the server Jimbo plays on. He’s still there and he’s ruffled a ton more feathers in this forum and discord than most to not get reported-meta’d a dozen times.

Plenty know the truth. It is being gathered and shared in places where it can be viewed without shut downs or delisting. Like various clan and gaming group discords.

Those “2”, I assume are the same people we’re both thinking of, are not my friends. They’ve griefed my clan with the reporting system. They’ve used a faulty system against us. This is what you’re failing to accept. It is happening a lot and not just to us… it’s quite easy to do actually.

Also, not a dude.

3 Likes

See, there is some truth to this statement. However, I have read many complaints about the wording and implementation of the ToS. Even funcom knows that clearer structures are needed. (Dana responded to a post that they are working on more posts to explain and clear up certain situations)

So wanting to please a handful of people who might dont want clarification to not get banned or clarification for which reason they got banned should not be the goal of any company. Its not like we want to enforce frequent wipes or higher rates. We want a clear ToS and a clear way of how bans get handled with notifcations about whats the reason for it so people who really didnt do anything on purpose can learn fromt it. At the moment its like telling a kid: No. Without any explanation on WHAT they’re not supposed to do.

You know on the last server i played i made some new friends. That time they played conan for a month. They where searching for a new game after rust let them down with all the cheating going on (ironic that they started on a conan official then but little did they know) First they ran into people abusing the bomb dupe. Then they got reported for a sign out of foundations they built next their base. Their clanlead (who never placed more than 10 foundations to repair a wheel) got banned for that. While he was banned the rest of the clan got hit by hackers. They left that server with us because we got hack-raided as well. On the new server their base on desert gutter got admin wiped without any notifications. So someone must have reported them. They didnt know what they did wrong. How would they? No one told them and they are new players. They started over again. Guess what? 6 Days into the server they got wiped by hackers again.

So they came from rust ready to dedicate their whole time to that game and got f’*cked several times with funcom being no help to them whatsoever. Yes, they quit and it will take a lot to make them at least try 3.0. Find ONE person who thinks that what happened to them should stay that way. Just one.

3 Likes

And the truth isn’t some nebulous non-existent evidence. But plain for everyone to see. Like I said, there are many forum and discord personalities who play on officials that are downright hated by some of you and others who are very quick to report for the smallest of perceived slights.

None of them are banned. None of them have received warnings. Yet it is I cannot see what is actually happening here? No. People, real people, don’t believe that. Neither do you.

I dont know kiki so this is not any friendly gesture. But shes 100% right about what shes saying. Believe it or not but unjustified reports and bans ARE happening. It happened to many people i know including the friends i talked about.

3 Likes

Through the grapevine I’ve heard a lot as well.

You make friends and acquaintances on Conan, frenemies too.

This has been a developing issue since the ToC was “fully” implemented.

1 Like

I don’t doubt there are true horror stories of pain out there. When you start regulating something with a process you will always have an error in it. The question is do you adjust your specs to ensure false positives are removed or adjust your specs to ensure false negatives are removed or set it to minimize both but it will allow both. I’m not sure which direction they went but there are some personas on here that I truly trust are speaking honestly so I think there is some…collateral damage in efforts to remove offenders. This is why I always preach your builds must show OBVIOUS intent that you are trying to keep to the intent of the ToS because the letter is vague.

4 Likes

I am curious where majority of the bans are taking place? PvP Servers or PvE Servers or equally on both? I excluded PvE-C since too few servers to really factor one way or the other.

From the reports and complaints here on the forums it seems to be about 60:40 - PvE:PvP by my recollection.

That might be a biased memory though because I pay more attention to PvE ban and wipe complaints - because on PvP I expect to loose everything from time to time anyway.

1 Like

I only know about pvp servers where that happens but its probably both sides

1 Like

While I am interested in solutions to the problems with how players behave on official PvP servers and how that intersects with the TOS, build limit suggestions will only result in PvE players bearing upon you - and rightfully so, such a suggestion effects them as well. Never mind the countless arguments as to why a build limit doesn’t actually solve the problems TOS enforcement seeks to resolve.

Building is integral to PvP, IMO more so than in PvE and arguably more than the actual fighting part of PvP. Building practices in PvP are a direct result of the balance of the game - and they will always be. The TOS and it’s enforcement SHOULD reflect that understanding, but in many cases it seems not to or remains silent.

If there is evidence that the report team is not reviewing cases, it NEEDS to be presented here. I understand the difficulty in providing evidence here, given the rules around discussing specific bans. I have personally chided the forum moderation and the review team’s leadership for how one sided the rules make attempts at transparency. If you can get the evidence here, without your thread being about any specific bans we can have abstract conversation about FC TOS enforcement. Otherwise no one is obligated to believe anyone at their word alone, and we are left only to insult back and forth.

3 Likes

I am playing on a pve c server and there was a week or two where nearly all daily playing people where banned. I think most of them for land claim… Me and my clan to. I am lucky that it was only a ‘warning’ and the duration 5 days. But unfortunately I am not sure how to handle this and what was the problem.

But back to this topic… I think it doesn’t matter and in this case you can see pvec like pve because you are not able to destroy any structure. And that why I think admin wipes and bans are equally on both.

But maybe the reasons are not the same. Sure land claim is a problem on both but I think the bans for abusing and exploiting the building system are more a pvp thing

Not if the sign was blatantly vulgar and offensive. Sorry but I have seen some of the crap that people put on those signs…things that make me feel ashamed to share the same species as the folks that put that sign up.

3 Likes

No like i said they built a kinda like a “hollywood” sign with their clan name on it out of like 20 foundations or something next to their base. Ofc this is unnecessary use of foundations but like i said those guys started 3-4 weeks before that happened. Just give them some kind of warning and ask them to remove it or admin remove it yourself with a warning instead of banning someone from the clan (who hasnt even touched those foundations) for 14!!! days. That is just as ridiculous as it gets.

This is correct, me and kiki are not exactly friends.
we killed each other in the field of battle and some usual thrashtalk

But we have something in common we both got admin wiped and for really unjust reasons
i concede that maybe my base was a little more big, but i do not think that it was ban-worthy. and of course much less theirs.

but here is the thing, according to funcom i am not allowed to share the same evidence i send them.
i will try to show at least a screenshot without giving any specific and hiding the month this could be any server.

Do you see the t1? that was only there for 2 hours. that got removed entirely while it was under construction.
the black ice was the base. like is the usual keyhole base, but see that size.?
do you think that base honestly deserved a ban?.
do you think that a 10 man clan can live there while is at war?
where the temples go? the stables? the wheel of pain? the animal pen? hell, the map room?
all your horses and thralls do you think they fit in there?

and i am being too optimistic, that is ASSUMING you have that spot only, now imagine if the good spots are taken like is usually the case?
How do you make a base that isn’t destroyed in 5 minutes?.

Why i am showing this? to show proof of what i am saying, otherwise i would shut my mouth.

i have more, so much more of different cases where people got admin wiped for DARING to have more than a 3x3 i have much more. videos, dates, screenshots, locations,places, everything.
you still dont’ believe me? Ethel06#5947 is my discord.

i would not be surprised if funcom wanted to close this thread for speaking THE TRUTH.
this is the state of pvp officials. what funcom is trying to avoid.

4 Likes

Oh, look, yet another “add yet another limit to the game because I can’t deal with server moderation” thread.

No, what people want is to not get banned, regardless of what the rules actually say. Especially those who already got banned, they really want to not have been banned.

Funcom’s fault is that their replies to “why was I banned” are not detailed enough. They should give you a more specific reply that says what you (or your clan) did specifically and where.

But they don’t do that, and then people who get banned get upset about it and come here to complain about unfair admins and unclear rules, and ask for game changes that will make the rest of us miserable without even having the benefit of solving the problem.

And then we get another thread like this and life goes on.

6 Likes