Tab targeting system

It’s what I tried to show in the video of me vs mannequins, it’s like there’s some kind of aiming assistance that locks a target despite the reticle current target, leading me to believe its algorithm uses a mathematical hysteresis to ease the pursuit of a moving target, which is not very convenient when facing multiple targets. Or it’s just slow to refresh its calculations on the Z axis (which I hope not).
Whereas tab targeting would be instantly accurate.
“tab tab pewpew laz0r shots tab pewpewpew tab dodge pewpew victory”
I could hear the designers object that tab targeting (or a soft lock) would make it too easy to follow a target that gets in your back. But there are signets effects that have to detect if an enemy is facing towards you, or away from you; such detection could be used to ensure a tabbed target is lost if it’s not in a 180° angle in the direction the character player is looking. E.g. on Rizzle pic, Isca Brutus & Cassius would be tabable, while the Fate little guy wouldn’t be. (Not sure I’m clear here, it’s late & I’m sleepy :yawning_face: )
[Edit: I meant if you had the Fate guy targeted, and then turn your back on him, the line of sight would be broken, and target lost.]

Anyway, optional tab targeting please FC ? (Is anyone in the dev or designer team reading this ? :crying_cat_face: )

1 Like

I would love to have the sticky targeting removed as soon as possible. As a pistol user it gives me nothing but grief when fighting groups of mobs, with the LOS issue.

Nope, don’t remove it, keep it as the main targeting system, many people enjoy this. The goal of my thread is to get tab targeting back as an alternative option for the few (or the many) who aren’t satisfied with the reticle.

I don’t want to get all controversial like, but have you considered moving until your intended target is targeted? :exploding_head:

1 Like

Moving sometimes works, and sometimes doesn’t.
Reticle targeting performs kinda well against a single target, but as stated in a few posts, it becomes inaccurate against many.
Best example I can think right now is HE5, when fighting Iscariot Cassius and Brutus. The fight can get messy, since the tank won’t stay static and the trio will follow him, it’s easy to lose the target you’d like to hit. Plus the way the reticle algorithm does its job can make all that even more confusing, check Rizzle’s picture, and the video of me vs mannequins.

1 Like

Doesn’t always work like that. It should, given that it’s supposed to, But there are times when the target appears to be locked on to whatever the system has deemed it wants to be, no amount of movement seems to shift it. I’ve even seen my rifle shoot at targets behind me even tho i’ve moved well out of its way to try and shift the target off what i dont want to hit, (Looking in the opposite direction with the target its locked on to behind me) that it is still locked on to it and fires at it regardless, which it shouldn’t do.

There are times when the targets are moving and your movement has to navigate through the quagmire of nonsense going on - on screen, that you cant even tell what you are looking at anymore.

Some targets are so close to each other that it becomes nigh on impossible to get the reticle to register this despite looking directly at it.

The option to choose what we want to hit via cycling through targets of our choosing would be more precise. Especially when there appears to already be some sort of lock target happening, i would like to be able to choose that of my own accord.

1 Like

Hell no, not for that. I played a lot of Dooms and Quakes in the 90s and early 0s and I expect to hit the thing I’m looking at. That’s the point of the reticle. It shouldn’t require the user to work around it to achieve the desired result.

3 Likes

I just have one question after reading this. Why do we have 3 “give us tab targeting back” and none “fix reticle pls” (except one bug report) threads, again?

The code for tab targeting is very likely still in the codebase, but dormant.
The code for proper target acquisition via reticle surely isn’t.

1 Like

My 2 cents, it’s actually used to tab friendly targets only, npc & pets included. That’s why I asked to add an option to switch its behavior from “friendly only” to “hostile only”.

I started SWL 3 months ago, after the great rebalance patch; and I’ve heard many times the game is actually in maintenance mode. Fixing the reticle is probably doable, but in my opinion it would certainly eat way more dev time than reactivating hostile tab targeting.
And since no one started a “fix reticle pls” thread, I suppose either most players are happy with its current performance, or they’ve abandon all hope ^^

2 Likes

All points I would have said already addressed by Svella and Krump.

Although I would like to point out that if there are more than 1 “Give us tab target back” threads vs 0 “Fix reticle” excluding bug reports, then I think that answers your question.

We can also probably assume there will be more “Give us tab target” threads in the future also, given that the subject appears to be more popular than it not.

Then i guess you missed the point because your opinion differs perhaps due to personal experience.
However, if you disagree with this thread, and you clearly have made that point, then there is nothing more for you to add.

Have a nice day.

??? What? I don’t disagree with this thread. At least while it was “we want it back just because why not” - that’s valid, why not really. But then it somehow turned into reticle bug tracker and here you got me super confused. Because in my opinion fixing only thing we have in game is more important than why-not thing. But yeah, in this exact thread there’s nothing to add.

I’m sorry if you feel confused, but imo pointing out the issues of the reticle system is one way to get attention from the FC team. Maybe it’s a poor strategy that won’t give any result, but only the future will tell :slight_smile:

At the very least we agree on the fact the reticle doesn’t perform well enough and deserves to be fixed. But I would prefer (and it seems I’m not the only one) to get tab targeting back, it’s a simple method that has proven solid and reliable over many MMOs through the years.
I admit I didn’t search for “fix reticle pls” thread, but you are more than welcome to open a thread and ask the devs to work on fixing the reticle, you’d have my support :slight_smile: You can even use the videos I made, but I believe making your own ones would have more weight.

1 Like

A couple of videos i took just now when farming cursed cultists.
Here you can see the issue reticle has when it is presented with more than one target.
In this case the target of the statue at the back is very large, very - very large.
But as i move around the guy in front of it you can see it appears to not be the hit box on top of the target but just its size in general overpowers the smaller target in front - even if you are right up in his face it makes no difference to the reticle.

This is presented in more areas littered throughout the game where tab/choose target would not have any issue at all.

As i have already said, in dungeons - choosing the correct target at times is absolutely vital.

There are no ‘fix reticle’ threads cause people pointed out the flaws during the beta and were ignored. It’s not like it used to choose the correct target and now it doesn’t, it’s picked the farther enemy in front of the player since day 1. So you’ll have to dig 3 years ago to find them.

1 Like

Ooohhhh one can post videos on the forum, I shall edit my previous posts and add videos instead of youtube links

Edit: nevermind, I deleted the originals, and too lazy to download them from youtube, cause I’m feeling zzzzz…

That reminds me the blunt perklines in Anarchy Online. They were horribly underpowered, and pretty much all enforcers were going the 2he way. I had to put pressure on the game director though the forum so they finally do something. They had planned to do it, but years had passed before it came in the priority list :confused:

For the video links i posted i use Streamable.com The links they provide seem to work as direct video on this forum, which is pretty nice. (you can also create an account with them to keep all your videos too - free)

Watching this screenshot, can you tell me who is my offensive target, and who is my defensive one ?

reti