Tamed pets decay while in the pen

That was (supposed to be) a play on the phrase “crying over spilt milk”, didn’t mean to say you were crying. Perhaps it became too abstract.

Look, I largely agree. But I don’t think there’s much point being angry about it - it happened, and yes the fact that this mechanic was never explained anywhere is definitely a mistake on someone’s part. But I don’t think it was malicious, and it seems they’ve listened to our feedback and will change it. That satisfies me.

Now it’s time to go beat up some pirates and nick their treasure - aka good clean family entertainment you can trust.

1 Like

Try sticking it in a refrigerator box with ice in it. I’m still not sure if it helps, I know I put all my (surviving) ones in there, and as of last night they were still alive. It works for any pups you’re not ready to tame, at least. Obviously they are 100% useless while they’re in there.

This message was brought to you by Hyborian Cryogenics Inc. We’ll freeze your butt off!

2 Likes

Sadly, I’m not 100% sure it works.

Some people reported that the timer still goes down after you take it out of the fridge. I’ll enter the game later, and see how many hours left does my greater rhino have. Will do an update post later.

Oh for sure it’ll continue ticking after. I think all we can hope for is that the timer pauses while it’s in the box until this is fixed/changed - but I can’t say for sure if it’ll work for “adult” pets. I know it works for cubs.

I don’t remember how much time was left on mine when I stuck them in there, quite a bit I think, so it’s possible they’re still ticking away, just with a hidden timer, same as if they were in the Pen.

I meant that it still goes down while inside it. The only way to check, is by pulling it out. It doesn’t show anything while it’s in it.

Ah, yes I can’t say for sure either. I’m just hoping it pauses - but I’m by no means confident. I’ll have to check myself later on, if I remember.

Private server, with ThrallConversionMultiplier=0.200000

Got another batch of 5 bears in there last night, 2 survived to grow to adulthood, the rest died.

None of the wolves mentioned in my post above survived to adulthood eventually. They didn’t all die at the same time, but they all died regardless.

What are your decay settings on that server set to?

Not sure which decay settings you want, but the spoil rate is halved, bulding decay is off, and the rest is standard.

Can you try to have all decay settings put to default and see if that helps with the issue? As a test?

As I said, I don’t know which decay settings you mean :slight_smile: I didn’t change any that should pertain to this issue, so they’re already at default.

The only ones I can possibly think of that might affect this are:
ItemSpoilRateScale=0.500000
ThrallConversionMultiplier=0.200000
ItemConvertionMultiplier=1.000000

(Which the Item one of course has a typo in it :stuck_out_tongue:

All right thanks, also of course obligatory mod question: Are you using any mods?
Just trying to get some more input to take back :slight_smile:

Heh. I understand perfectly.

Another something that may or may not have any impact, some of these babies spent a fair amount of time in a box before putting in the animal pen, but their timer was nowhere near 0.

Modlist:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1536485323

And as numbers: 864199675,1268176328,901911361,1369550768,1369802940,1381070879,1411872074,1367404881,925197087,1396310739

The only one I would consider that might have impact is the Emberlight mod. And no, we’re not removing that one :stuck_out_tongue:

A lot of mods are known to cause issues, particularly as of the latest patch or two (since those patches have changed A LOT of things).

In particular, I’ve heard Emberlight conflicted with the update recently. But yeah removing it “just to test” is not a small task. Still, you probably shouldn’t be surprised to have issues around patch day if using mods (unfortunate but largely unavoidable), no dig at either Funcom or the wonderful modding community intended!

Put another 5 wolf cubs with expiry between 30 and 34 hours into the animal pen with exquisite meat. Let’s see if they can grow up.

You don’t need the religion to tame pets. It is a feat under the thrall taming tree (wheel of Pain).

I might have a handle on why they’re dying while in the pen.

If you store them in a box for a while, and their expiry time goes down, then put them in a pen, they’ll die if the expiry time was too low when they got put in.

However ‘too low’ seems not to reflect the actual time they spend in the pen, so that makes me think that it’s somehow sped up in there (could this be caused by the increased thrall taming speed?)

hi splutty, just had a look at the wiki and (while indirectly), i think you can make 5 blood sausages, and 25 bone broths with those

just for your info… the Animal Tamer feats were ‘not’ appearing with a mod called “better archery”… it took me about 5 hours enabling and disabling about 48 different mods to see what caused it :slight_smile:
(more info here in case you use a version of that mod)

1 Like

No its a BUG, pets overall aren’t taking food if you don’t interact with them, i have placed food in pet for 10days, next day i go put item in pet it show 6 days with all food still there, few seconds later it changes to 10days again, pets don’t take food from food boxes if you don’t open their inventory, i assume same is in pen