Same problem… simply impossible to play on PS4… :frowning:

3 Likes

Game mode: [ Online official, Server #3731]
Type of issue: [ Performance ]
Server type : [ PvE ]
Region: [ America ]
Hardware: [ PS4]

Bug Description:

I have noticed several performance hits to the game since the patch. Many have been said above, but I will share what I have observed as well. While the texture quality has increased and looks good when loaded, the following issues far outweigh the visual gains:

1. Increased render times on all models (base pieces, mounts/pets, thralls, and farmable objects like trees and stone. These render items also reset when you move the camera and/or take a few steps, mostly affects the base pieces. The texture details don’t seem to stay in memory very long.

2. Background/high elevation terrain outline is visible in low light conditions. It can be the middle of the night where I can’t see my character without a torch, but I can clearly see the mountains on the horizon plain as day.

3. Inventories at work stations and storage crates take much longer to populate than before the patch.

4. Audio delays when performing actions like harvesting and combat swings. The first 2-3 swings of a pickaxe have no sound, then you finally start to hear the impact on the object. The first couple of strikes on an enemy are also muted.

Expected Behavior:

Expected behavior would be no audio lag, better render times, and readjusting the max distance viewable of the horizon terrain. All of these things were working fine prior to the patch on 5/27. Again, the texture increase is nice, but the cost for it (if it is truly related), is much too high.

Steps to Reproduce:

Just playing the game. I do have a wired connection to my PS4 and my network connectivity has been good. I can’t give an official reading as I’m not at home at present, but if one is required, I can oblige later.

For the developers, I just want to voice that I really enjoy this game. I recently came back to Conan Exiles in early May when I heard Isle of Siptah was coming out. I even sprang for some of the DLC packs so I could have more to build with, and it’s been great, albeit very grindy for gathering building mats, but that’s just part of the experience. This performance hit with the patch is disappointing and it does distract from the game play enjoyment. I’m going to keep plugging along at this time because I’m mostly farming endless building mats to construct my base/keep, and I can still do that despite the performance problems. That being said, I do hope these issues can be resolved in a timely manner. You guys have a good thing going here, but repairs to the performance need to be addressed, and the community needs to be kept in the loop as far as progress on the fixes.

8 Likes

That’s the problem with the Garbage Collector being too aggressive. We still need to point it out to funcom so they can modify the ini files that fix the GC and max objects.

It is a serious downgrade to the way it is set now.

3 Likes

Hi @Community its been a hot minute since anyone from Funcom commented here. Any word on when we can expect a possible fix for these issues? Please keep us in the loop :pray:

8 Likes

It’s kinda weird Funcom isn’t saying anything. Did this kind of problem happened before?
Apparently it’s not everyone with the performance bug. I’ll try to delete and reinstall the game, who knows…

I am having graphics issues (described above) on a PS5.

Gonna keep checking in here until I hear something. This needs a patch for sure. We shouldnt regret updating the game or buying Siptah.

2 Likes

Hey there,

Sorry for the late response. We’ve been kept hot with the recent critical issues on PC.
Regarding PS4 Pro (and standard) streaming issues, we’re aware of this problem as it’s being looked into. There will be more optimizations for consoles and PS4 in particular coming with our next patches and updates.

As a temporary workaround (and general suggestion to improve the experience on the platform), we recommend installing the game on an SSD drive (either internal or external). Most of the issues here reported are caused by the now rather slow stock drives and their speeds. The bump in texture quality caused them to throttle a bit, which is causing most these issues when loading assets.
There’s other issues regarding performance that are also being looked into, but the SSD workaround would iron out at least the most aggravating.

That being said, and to reiterate: we’re aware of this and it is being looked into.

4 Likes

Thanks @Ignasi my butt is off to the store tomorrow for a decent ssd. Anyone have any recommendations for a ps5?? I’m a tech idiot and have no clue :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Hello @Ignasi,

My PlayStation 4, Model: CUH-1215A has a Samsung 870 QVO 2TB SSD installed. This model of PS4 is able to take advantage of the size and speed.

No issues as described before the update. I’m happy to run some tests if you have anything to send me.

2 Likes

The PS5 drive is blazing fast as it is! These are the issues we’re mostly looking forward to squish in future updates, as they are most likely caused by issues that need addressed, or optimizations needed. No need to upgrade your drive in that case, unless you want to install the game in a separate drive to save space in the internal. Conan Exiles is a backwards compatible game, and installing those on an external drive is currently possible on a PS5.

That would be super helpful. Is it possible for you to send us a few clips of footage (recorded from the PS4 share feature, for instance) where these issues are present?
This would help the team who’s currently working on console optimizations get a better idea of what’s causing the throttle.

4 Likes

Also, sorry for the double-dip posting!
We are also most interested of getting feedback about these issues on Siptah. Isle of Siptah was built from the ground up with console optimizations in mind, so any issues happening there are most likely the ones we are chasing :male_detective:
On the Exiled Lands, we are aware of some of the issues here reported, and we’re working on porting the optimizations made in Siptah over there. While we added some in 2.3 and 2.4.4, there’s still work to do on the Exiled Lands to smooth gameplay.

4 Likes

Becareful with this tip on PS5, some games can’t run off the external like the PS4 might need to check the Sony site to be sure.

Sure thing, I also have some videos on my twitch channel with the issues pop up during the drop event. But, I will record directly from the ps4 for higher quality.

2 Likes

Oh ok save me a couple bucks and wait for update :+1: thanks again you’re a gentleman and a scholar :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

@h3rb1 :eyes: Sorry for the poke and self-quote. My quick posting may have messed up visibility for that key point.
That is, if you have Isle of Siptah! If you don’t, we are also interested in these dips in the Exiled Lands.

3 Likes

I have not seen any of the reported texture or rendering issues on isle of Siptah. For me at least it is restricted ( so far, I don’t have anywhere near the base size or placeables present in Siptah as I do in exiled lands) to the Exiled Lands. Siptah runs as smooth as butter on my ps5.

4 Likes

Phew! Thanks for the confirmation.
We know that the Exiled Lands needs more optimization work and our team is now doing that. However, this shouldn’t mean that some of the issues reported should’ve worsened. That’s what we’re investigating now at the moment.
Regarding some mentions of crashing, and just as a general reminder/favor to ask :pray:: please make sure to select “Accept and Send” on the dashboards crash report screen so our team can get those and collate them to find the cause.

4 Likes

Could you tell us when you plan to release the next hotfix?

I’m seeing a lot of mention about this being a PS4 issue and needing a better SSD.

However, it looks to me like half of these complaints are coming from people with the PS5. The rendering, the objects in the distance, etc., everything is now quite literally 10 times slower than before the update. I’m not sure how or why it worsened, but what most of us are saying, is that the game was fine before the update, and now it looks and performs like garbage!

It took me literally 2-5 seconds to load the game before the update, it now takes a minute :confused:

4 Likes

We’ve went a bit in detail on to why installing it in a SSD helps, but is not the ultimate solution in our latest responses above :point_up:

2 Likes