Thralls across the map last... forever?

This absolutely blew my mind. But after asking in server chat they told me “as long as you’re still playing on the server, the thralls won’t disappear”.

I hadn’t played in a while and was just checking out the noob starting zone where we had our first base. It was built back in probably… March-ish 2019? During that month (after moving our base to the north) we completely destroyed everything at our base in the noob zone so that other new players could build there.

But tonight I’ve found that my thralls from ~7 months ago are STILL there?? So nobody has been able to build there, and will never be able to, unless I move the thralls into another area of the map, which will still restrict that area too?

This doesn’t make any sense.

Thralls in ‘guard’ mode who are not anywhere near that player’s building should carry a decay timer just like the building structures do.

Why are thralls treated differently than structures, and last indefinitely … ?

3 Likes

oh yes, then there are the floating thralls, ocupying large are of the map, is one of the things that almost made me drop this game, becuase it felt just wrong, as if i was playing a totally glitched game…

So maybe it’s not a coding thing, but rather a “how should we resolve this matter and not explode thralls/pets that are still active and cared for by the players” thing. Or a “how not to turn caring for thralls into a chore for players, because players want to enjoy the game instead of feeling like it’s a chore”, because that was the problem with the feeding mechanic.

Maybe, if we could push undesired thralls and pets off a high rope bridge, everything would look brighter.

1 Like

Darn, failed to distract you from the topic with a rope bridge tangent. Oh well.

That’s a fair question. But, based on what Jenk Erik and Alex hinted at in a recent stream, a solution to this is probably in the works. At that point I hope we’ll have umbrellas in the game because it’s raining men, hallelujah.

2 Likes

While I understand the annoyance/frustration to the fullest, I’ll propose a quick solution for your immediate “problem” instead of joining the debate; Kite a world boss over ^^ they work wonders for clearing out pets.

Hell, they might kill it ofc, but then you just kite another over when it respawns and watch if tear them to shreds. From what I’m seeing, there is a Rotbranch near enough, and within kiting distance, to the spot.
Just a thought of course ^^

2 Likes

Well, even baby steps are still steps. I don’t really have a horse in this race, being a Single-player - but the discussion was specifically about abandoned thralls cluttering the map, so I would assume they have correctly identified the problem. Whether they come up with an applicable solution is a different matter, but let’s give them a chance to show what they’ve got before deciding that it’s going to fail.

The thing is that I just can’t get rid of my fighter Thralls and Pets which became obsolete (if not to use Better Thralls mod I mean). Yes, I can lead them into Volcano to burn alive in lava or kill them in some other complicated ways… It is time-consuming and it is NOT a fun for me. I feel pity for those groups of pixels. I’d like to have button “Set free” in their radial menu and some kind of farewell animation: people waving their hands, animals turning to have a long look at you and trotting off into the wild. It would be fun and motivation to get rid of obsolete Thralls and Pets.

3 Likes

No, the system before wasnt perfect. The system now is even farther away from being perfect…

Perfect system would be: Put food in pots. Thrall/animal takes 1 thing and at THE END of its decay timer, it will try to get another thing… If the pot is empty = bybebye.

Not before. Not all the time.

Otherwise the game becomes food-delivery-boy simulator.

Also the pots should have a preservation function or you can also put ice-cubes in it.

2 Likes

Make a death trap… But up some spikes then walls around it, then a ceiling above it.
Place thrall at the ceiling -> remove ceiling…

Make it high enough to put a ceiling on it again. Rinse & repeat :smiley:

We definitely need a better system than what we have now, especially in PvE. It often feels like I spend just as much time kiting bosses to kill orphans as i do playing.

1 Like

Because, as I wrote before, I dont want to play food-devlivery-boy :smiley:

But I like killing stuff… Even my own thralls :smiley:

I have to replace my army of N`batu with female Cimmerian berserker… They look way better :smiley: Also they fit better in, with all the volcano thralls :slight_smile:

But the N’batus were always doing a great job.

Place em near a world boss… will be some help to some player obtaining a skeleton key…

If u cannot kill em, at least make a good use of them

And I hate killing my own proteges without getting loot. IRL you kill livestock to get MORE meat and hides that from the wild ones, but not in CE. It doesn’t make any sense at all.

1 Like

I agree the feeding system before was good, though I don’t remember the reason why it was removed. My guess is maybe due to server load or something?

Whatever the case may be, if thrall feeding pots are out of the question then it should be treated like structures. If a thrall is in the proximity of that player’s structure, it should share the decay. If ithe thrall is off all by itself, maybe 24hrs.

Otherwise I can’t see why it makes sense for thralls to outlast everything else indefinitely. It’s just cluttering the landscapes and denying possible building spots for other players, which was already a problem (building spam) before this.

1 Like

The feeding system was removed because of whinning players didnt want it. The same as npc animations and sounds now.

Thralls cant be deleted like structures, because that would be the first implementation they would have made instead of designing a whole new system for then.

Did nobody try the war banners to see if enabling PVP allows then to be killed?

Indeed the feeding system went away because there was a massive uproar of negative feedback over it and people didn’t want to have to spend the time feeding their armies.

edit: i stand corrected, there were apparently also technical issues with it. Though all I remember was the huge stink that was raised over it.

I personally own about 500+ thralls but have probably around 120 placed in my main base and outposts the rest are in chests I’ve been playing since EA and I’m the 2nd oldest player on my server I’ve seen many players come and go and yes there thralls hanging around in the air at first it was annoying to see they would be there for weeks then eventually disappear now when I see that it’s really not a big deal cause I know they will be gone eventually and yup gone in a few weeks just be patient it’s not a big deal

3 Likes

Please, even if you disagree with the decision, do not dismiss the players who expressed their opinion and provided feedback as “whining”. People enjoy different things in the game, and everyone’s right to express those opinions is equally valid and valuable. You won’t win your case by dismissing the opposing opinion - you win your case by providing accurate, reasonable arguments that support your side.

I didn’t like the feeding system, but I’m willing to listen to, and try to understand, your side of the discussion.

War banners affect only players, they won’t change how NPCs can/cannot be attacked.

3 Likes

In a few weeks? The thralls in my original post are from 7 months ago. What you’re talking about is apparently only true if the player completely stops playing. But if they just relocate bases, those old thralls will be there indefinitely.