What is the point of Night time?

, ,

Night doesn’t seem to exist for any reason other than just annoying the player base. Players don’t have to sleep, so that is kind of pointless. I can’t see crap, but enemies seem to be able to still see 100% the same as in the noon day sun. The detection rate, range, and their accuracy still seems 100% the same. They don’t seem to have tighter leashes (wanting to stay closer to sources of light) either. Etc.

So really, what is the point of night time. I usually just climb up a wall halfway and go get something to drink while it needlessly wastes my time.

If it is going to be left in and last as long as it does, there should really be some point to it beyond annoying players

3 Likes

I think they could make it more interesting… have human NPCs stay close to light sources and have wandering monsters that are usually cave/ruin bound. make certain creatures more or less aggressive at night to represent the vision differences that NPCs would have.

8 Likes

I really think they should do one of 3 things:

1. Remove it entirely.

2. Reduce it’s duration massively. You should notice it passing but not be inconvenienced by it.

3. Tie some mechanics to it. (NPCs staying near fires, NPCs taking turns sleeping, Nocturnal animals being unaffected while others have reduced range and accuracy, temporary buffs for sleeping, etc.)

3 Likes

whats the point of night time??? Really? Survivaaalllll, helloooooooo!!! Use a torch or night potion, its not hard to play while night time, its already way shorter than day time.

Why player these days want things so easy? Really I dont get why play a complex game of all they want are candies, damn this Nutella/Snow flake generation, if you dont want night time go play private servers, most of them have 1 sec night time.

12 Likes

are you serious?

1. This is a survival game
  2. Night vision allows you to run night raids and night ops.
  3. Night time is my favorite time to get building and raiding done. I avoid servers that turn night time off.

NO THEY SHOULD NOT TURN OFF THE NIGHT …

If anything they should reduce the aggro range of NPCs by half during the night. I would agree to that. However the night is VERY effective against other players. Night sniping is fun as heck.

Use a darn torch.

12 Likes

They also tend to be the ones who only read the title before posting and end up looking silly in the end.

1 Like

And this is a forum.

Im sorry, let me read this time then. (Since you said I didnt).

Ok, so, a lot of private servers have night time off, and if you want to stick on officials, there are 4 kinds of torches (if I remember right), and two other way to see through dark.

So, dont ask for “silly” things like this one (removing night time or giving a purpose to it) when its a core part of survival genre.

As you can see, even if one just read the title, your entire post doesn’t add anything in value because of someone’s taste being not fond of a feature.

You wanna know the purpose of night time? Its being DARK, like it should be.

3 Likes

But the problem is, the AI doesn’t react to it being night at all… which usually IS a big part of a survival game. Hence why folks are asking for night to actually cause appropriate and believable behavior. The fact that we can simply wait it out on a cliff wall is just silly.

5 Likes

But that is not a night problem, like you said a.i, it is also silly crocs not attacking you underwater, it is also silly enemies running at your blade to get their heads off after seeing their comrades being torn apart, and the list goes on.

3 Likes

Well, gotta start somewhere, so might as well go with one of the more egregious areas.

+1 night is Conan exiles is pointless. Most of the time I just stop playing because it is such a worthless endeavor. In Ark you have nocturnal Dinos that can make night time an absolute terror. In 7D2D it’s a borderline death sentence. In Conan it’s just, good luck hope you don’t run off a cliff since visibility drops to about 6 inches.

Edit: and as someone who has, in vain, tried to navigate UN city at night with a torch many times. I can tell you those things are freaking worthless. If Funcom would quit dragging its feet and let us repair legendary armor, it’d be fine. I’d just use the night vision mask

1 Like

Exactly.

Asking for it to have a purpose is not a “silly” thing, and night time is only a core part of the genre if the mechanics back it up.

It would be like claiming eating should be in the game even without a hunger mechanic because it is a core part of the genre. The hunger mechanic is what makes eating a core part of the genre. Night currently lacks a hunger mechanic equivalent.

2 Likes

No, night is night because of the absence of the sun and it really does not need a meaning, its a natural cycle of planet star. You’re complaining it because you dont have the patience of waiting or using a torch.

Do you think they really programmed an entire planet and solar system and the planet is actually rotating around the sun in the game? LOL

1 Like

To be frank, if night time stops you from doing the activities you do during daylight then it’s achieved it’s goal. If you have to seek a place where you are not going to be attacked by a respawning npc (or the rare pathing npc) whilst it is night then it’s achieved it’s goal.
If it makes you have to pull out a torch to use or craft a potion to give you night vision or equip a piece of equipment to see so you can continue doing activities then it’s achieved it’s purpose.

8 Likes

Night time helps me locate camps from afar, since they’re easy to see because of light sources. They’re much harder to detect in the day. Of course that all becomes moot when they get marked down on my map.

Also my buildings look cool all illuminated in the night. :smiley:

4 Likes

This…
Plus night time is best time to PVP.

2 Likes

If all it does it make the screen dark for the player character, it has achieved nothing beyond a waste of time.

How so?

It’s hard for you to see them, but their thralls can perfectly snipe you clear as day.

2 Likes